Used Explorer Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

woodbeekiller

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
I bought a 2004 Explorer 4.6L AWD with 130k, and there are a few problems I'm having with getting it to drive properly. I've been through the forums and have found potential remedies to a few of the common problems I'm experiencing, such as replacing the transmission solenoid pack, servo bores, valve body, etc. The problem I'm having is two OBDII codes P0715 and P2106. When I went under the truck to replace the speed sensors I noticed that the front driveshaft is missing would this cause the two aforementioned codes to pop up? Also can I use a 2004 4.0 Driveshaft to replace it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to RockAuto, the 2004 explorer 4.0L and the 2004 explorer 4.6L use the same front drive shaft. They list the following on the Cardone 659462 replacement ...

Drive Shaft Material Steel
Greasable No
Length (In) 22.25
Length (mm) 565.15
Measurement Method Measurement is taken by measuring the Tube length only. Measure from the centerline of the weld on one end to the centerline of the weld on the opposite end of the collapsed Prop Shaft.
Product Condition Remanufactured
Tubing Outer Diameter (in) 1.75
Tubing Outer Diameter (mm) 44.45

You could measure the one you found off the 4.0L to see if it matches. I don't know why you have the codes, but the P0715 is due to a speed sensor, so maybe that is due to the driveshaft missing.

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info as well, I hope installing the driveshaft will also remove both codes.

Wow, I can’t believe the seller did not disclose the missing driveshaft. Hopefully it was not removed because of issues with the AWD.

Dom

^^^
As stated above. There is a good reason your front shaft is missing. Most likely due to the viscous coupling in the transfer case going bad.

I bought a 2004 Explorer 4.6L AWD with 130k, and there are a few problems I'm having with getting it to drive properly. I've been through the forums and have found potential remedies to a few of the common problems I'm experiencing, such as replacing the transmission solenoid pack, servo bores, valve body, etc. The problem I'm having is two OBDII codes P0715 and P2106. When I went under the truck to replace the speed sensors I noticed that the front driveshaft is missing would this cause the two aforementioned codes to pop up? Also can I use a 2004 4.0 Driveshaft to replace it?

those 2 codes are related so fixing one could clear it.
the viscous coupler on AWD could fail and cause binding to the front wheels that's why the front driveshaft needs to be removed. It might also be an issue with the front differential and either way it requires some fixing.. hope you didn't pay much for it..

Alright, I'm back the knuckle on the front diff moves freely when the wheels are up, but the cup on the transfer case doesn't suggesting that I will need to replace the coupler. I only paid $700 for it so some work was to be expected. Also what could the problem be for the P0715 I've changed the sensor, the contacts weren't rusted, nor the wires flayed. Actually nevermind, could someone provide me a pinout for a 2004 explorer PCM? I'm just going to cut the wires and solder new wires all the way down to the sensor.

Back