using 4 pin connector for extra brake light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

using 4 pin connector for extra brake light

mountaineer2004

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NYS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer (AWD V8)
I bought an LED light at walmart. I want to wire it strictly as an extra brake light.

Can I use the 4 pin connector to power a brake light only?

I'd rather not splice into the wiring anywhere else.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto, that LED should be very low current and only older car, main tail light circuits are usually possible trouble with LED's.

If you wanted to add something with typical current unlike LED's, then a simple relay would work, with a good power circuit to feed the relay.

Thanks for the help...it's appreciated.

Um, it will blink with the turn signals unless it has some special circuit in it that tells it to only light up when both L and R rights are powered.

Other wise you'd need to wire it to the 3rd brake light for a brake light only function.

Um, it will blink with the turn signals unless it has some special circuit in it that tells it to only light up when both L and R rights are powered.

Other wise you'd need to wire it to the 3rd brake light for a brake light only function.

I thought this was about using the trailer wire connector below the left tail light area. The brake light circuit(one wire) is also back there, a brown wire I think?

On the 4 pin connector, there is a right turn signal, a left turn signal, ground, and a tail light / marker light wires.
Everything you ever wanted to know about trailer wiring can be found at Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

I don't believe there's a way to hook up brake light ONLY using the 4 pin trailer connection.
As far as I can tell, it's ground, marker/parking lights, brake/left turn, brake/right turn.

So if I splice into the 3rd brake light wire, would the LED cause any problem?
I'm not replacing an incandescent filament bulb, just adding to it.

Thanks again!

I don't believe there's a way to hook up brake light ONLY using the 4 pin trailer connection.
As far as I can tell, it's ground, marker/parking lights, brake/left turn, brake/right turn.

Thanks again!

No it would not cause a problem, if it don't light just reverse the polarity.

While you have the 3rd brake light open I'd take the time to upgrade it to LED.

6 x T10 Red 6 SMD5630 3W Super Bright 194 168 2825 W5W LED Car Lights Bulb 8809333840039 | eBay

Thanks again!
I think that should work great, the typical wattage for LED's is trivial versus the loads normally on those circuits.

Flashers have a hard time dealing with such small loads, they have to sense them and switch them off and on, and most older flashers can't do it.

Back