1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Using Existing Wiring For New Amps

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Supersnizzz, December 14, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Supersnizzz

Supersnizzz New Member

City, State:
      School- Socorro, NM Home-Rialto, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT
      I know I'm kind of the new new guy at this, but I was wondering if I could use my stock wiring from the JBL system in my '96 X to power some new amps for the door speakers and subwoofer. I'm afraid that the wiring, both the load drawn by the amps and the output to the speakers, won't be able to handle it. Thanks for any consideration of this matter and I would greatly appreciate any sort of response.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. davesexplorer

davesexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central PA
      2001 F350 7.3
      I wouldn't unless your new amps and such have the same specs as the factory stuff... but then why would you be replacing it?
      Run new wire from the battery...

4. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      The speaker wires you can use. The power, ground, etc you can't. Way too thin for an external amp of any kind.

5. Supersnizzz

Supersnizzz New Member

City, State:
      School- Socorro, NM Home-Rialto, CA
      '96 XLT
      Are you sure I can use the speaker wires? I know the input should be okay, but I'm sort of worried that the load will be too high on the output. Each of the speaker outputs is going to jump about 100 watts, and I'm not really in the mood to fry anything. Just a thought.

6. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      Depends on how much power you are going to send to the speakers. If your running 50-75 watts of RMS power you should be fine. Even 100W should be ok. The runs are not very long in the X. You won't burn anything. Speaker wires don't work that way. If the wires are too thin for the power you will loose some sound quailty & a few watts. And might pick up some noise. The sub however I would run a wire for. Just cause it's a subwoofer.