V8 swap quetions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap quetions

Ok so i got a great deal on a 5.0 x 2wd and im lookin to swap it into my first gen and im on a pretty tight budget as most. i have read many post of others swap but so far i still havent found the easiest way to do the wiring. im willing to get rid of everything emissions wise if i could just find some kind of stand alone engine harness like off of a certain year mustang or such. thanks in advance for the help guys.

anybody? also anyone know if i can i use the factory 97 motor mounts and bolt them into my first gen?

To put a gen II 5.0L drivetrain into your Gen I truck the wiring is going to be up to you

there are a few trucks I know of running around with this conversion, mine and MoabB2's are two examples of this conversion.

the wiring can be a bit tricky, but its not impossible

have you ever done anything like this before?

You would have to modify the 97 5.0L engine and computer harness heavily to mate it to your truck and have everything working correctly, including the transmission

the 1997 engine mounts will not work in your Gen I frame

There are a few basics to putting a 5.0L in your gen I, first you must re-locate the oil filter, second you will need a dual sump oil pan and pickup tube, you should consider the torque monster conversion headers, and stuffing a radiator in front of your engine will be fun

I spent $6500 and 6 months doing my conversion, and I have done several conversions prior including wiring...I did 99% of the work myself (sans exhaust) I know Moabb2 had his truck in 3-4 different shops trying to get the conversion completed (read expensive headache)
it can go smooth or it can be headaches, your best bet is LOTS of research

my conversion thread is in my signature, TAKE NOTES

Back