V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer Build Log

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, I've been an Explorer owner for a year and a half now, since I got my beginners permit last year. I had a 99 V8, had a mechanical failure in the steering or brakes, rolled it, lived through it with just bruises, been hunting 2 1/2 weeks now, and I came across a 01 Eddie Bauer with the SOHC, got it for $1100, but not without some issues. One is, it's leaking coolant, and I don't have any idea of where because it's not hitting the dirt anywhere, or wetting the steering. The other is, I have a major vacuum leak, it throws lean codes on both sides, and you can tell it's not running 100% because it just doesn't have all the high end it should. I'll have photos later, and become an Elite Explorer, but I figured I'd post the questions now because I start working on it tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first guess for your coolant leak would be the lower thermostat housing or leaking sensors. Very common failure that often traps coolant inside the intake valley preventing it from hitting the ground. Almost fail safe way of pinpointing coolant leaks would be a cooling system pressure test kit available for loan at many auto parts stores.

As for your "major" vacuum leak, the 4.0 SOHC is well known for leaking upper and lower intake gaskets. There are several methods for finding vacuum leaks, one is spraying starting fluid around the manifold with the engine idling and listening for engine speed changes. Best method is using a smoke tester from the green capped test port inside the engine bay.

Here's a wealth of information for the 4.0L SOHC
2000StreetRod's Helpful thread list | Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

My first guess for your coolant leak would be the lower thermostat housing or leaking sensors. Very common failure that often traps coolant inside the intake valley preventing it from hitting the ground. Almost fail safe way of pinpointing coolant leaks would be a cooling system pressure test kit available for loan at many auto parts stores.

As for your "major" vacuum leak, the 4.0 SOHC is well known for leaking upper and lower intake gaskets. There are several methods for finding vacuum leaks, one is spraying starting fluid around the manifold with the engine idling and listening for engine speed changes. Best method is using a smoke tester from the green capped test port inside the engine bay.

I figured as much on the vacuum leaks, I'll start with the fluid test, because that seems like a alright idea and I've seen that before. I do know it gets better as it gets warmer, that much I've noticed, so whatever it is closes. You can hear it when it's running, with the hood closed, so it's not a tiny weep. As for the coolant leak, it doesn't seem like it's very large at all, I've driven it twice, and I only smelled it once, so I'll get a kit on loan and try to find it.

Mostly, in sum, it just sounds like it's having old engine issues

I would concur with the t-stat housing probably the culprit of the leaking coolant. I still shake my head at the local shop where I took my truck to have a coolant pressure test done and they came back with the diagnosis that it needed new head gaskets (coolant dripping off the back of the left side head). In reality, it was the lower t-stat housing causing the leak, filling the intake valley and then running off the back of the head. Fixed it myself and saved a ton of money.

The loud vacuum leak could be a cracked hose...although, I also agree the manifold gaskets are a very common source of leaks. Just never heard leaky manifold gaskets emitting that loud of a noise.

If it runs better after it warms up it's probably intake O-rings. Any other vacuum leak would remain constant. If it's just a tiny coolant leak, throw in the K-Seal (put it directly into the radiator) and see what happens) it won't hurt anything and will stay in the system to repair future leaks.

Well I went and found the vacuum leak to be the intake gaskets. As for the audible noise, the power steering was low, so the pump might have been complaining, because I filled it and the loud noise went away, which is odd to me. As for the coolant leak, it hasn't used any in 50 miles to say anything so I'll drop some Kseal in it like @koda2000 said and probably be done, because it's very very small. Also noticed the fuel filter looks like the original one, might should change that.

So, update on this, still haven't gone Elite, but did work on it some, The coolant leak is somewhat minor, so I'm gonna stall that until the fall probably, because changing a thermostat housing in 95 degree weather is no fun. I detailed it yesterday, it looks like a mirror, and I'm not kidding, everybody likes it, which considering it's an Explorer, I can live with that. As for the vacuum leak, it's present, I did notice something though, and I want an opinion on it, though I think it's a decent vacuum leak. Cold, it has a misfire, it goes away rather quickly, about a minute or so, however, warm, going at about 50, it lacks a lot of power, like earlier, someone pulled out in front of me, so I went to pass, and it just won't kick down. Thoughts? Other than that, I've changed the oil, cleaned it up some, and been enjoying it

Nice to hear you got another explorer. Watch out for the timing chain guides on these SOHCs. I think mine is finally going to snap soon, they've been rattling for near 8k miles now.

I am, I'm halfway thinking about finding a good runner in a wreck, and doing the updated guides, this car is nice enough that if I got a nice engine with new guides and swapped it in when the time comes, it'd be good to go for the rest of it's life, plus I know someone who has the special tool.

Yep, T-stat housing and upper/lower intake manifold gaskets might be in order. Fuel filter too prolly. Before you start dumping too much money in it (and get emotionally attached, heh) take a good listen for rattling timing chains. See sws's link in post #2. It'll tell you all you want to now about SOHC timing chain cassette issues. 17k on mine, knock wood.

Yep, T-stat housing and upper/lower intake manifold gaskets might be in order. Fuel filter too prolly. Before you start dumping too much money in it (and get emotionally attached, heh) take a good listen for rattling timing chains. See sws's link in post #2. It'll tell you all you want to now about SOHC timing chain cassette issues. 17k on mine, knock wood.

Yeah I figured as much on the gaskets and housing, it's an 01 and it doesn't look like any of that has ever been done. As for the fuel filter, it looks somewhat new, but that doesn't mean too much, I have a new one around here somewhere so I'm going to try it. The timing chains still sound good, and as for long term, I'm mechanically inclined and have the space and tools to swap it. I actually know someone who has a low mile motor in a wrecked one he's supposed to get running. I've thought about getting a good runner, and doing the timing guide updates on it, because I can, and in some ways, I like the SOHC. I've heard all about the timing issues, I've been browsing the forums for a good while now, and wasn't planning on getting one, but I got this car for cheap knowing it needed some of the more common SOHC items, but it shifts great, 4x4 works great, and it's nice looking in general for a 01.

Well I've hit a snag, so, I got the fuel filter, crawled under, filter isn't the newest thing but it's been changed at some point between 01 and now, so, got my two sets of disconnects, the cheap ones, and the Lisle plastic ones, and have absolutely failed to get either line to disconnect. I've blown out the connections with air, and the lines just will not come off. I've never had this problem before, normally the disconnects work just fine for me, but no luck this time. Thoughts on how I should go about fixing this? I'd imagine, judging from the struggle, the filter hasn't been changed in a good while.

So, I found I was using the wrong disconnect, and got it off. The entire filter was full of clear water, and the lines both ways had water in them, so I changed the filter, and let the lines run until I smelled gas, put it all together, it runs almost perfectly at idle now with only a miss every couple seconds, and has a ton more power, and will kick down, and the fuel economy says I've improved by .2 MPG in a short short distance. Still has a bit of a vacuum leak, but the filter was 99% of my issue, so that was mostly simple, it also starts when I hit the key instead of crank crank crank crank crank, so that's progress.

If your fuel filter had water in it then most likely your tank has water in it. I'd drop the tank and drain it. Let it air dry then then re-mount it and fill it. Then put in a fuel stabilizer or dryer and run that through.

The tank was pretty well empty when I changed the filter, it said I had 4 miles to empty and the needle said it was out, so I figure at least most is out, when I got the filter out, I turned both lines down and let them run out until gas was what was running out, it appeared to mostly be in the filter.

As for the coolant leak, it is the thermostat housing, now then, I've heard horror stories about some of the aftermarket ones, so I have a pair of questions, one, how hard is it to change the upper and lower housing, and two, what's the best brand to go with. At the moment, I can't tell which is leaking, upper or lower, I think it's lower, but the beauty cover Ford put on blocks a ton of stuff from easy view IMO

There couldn't have been that much water in the fuel filter and lines or it would never have run. You could remove the fuel tank and drain it, but if you're going to drop the tank I'd also install a new fuel pump while you're at it. Otherwise, throw a couple of bottles of dry-gas in the tank and see if that helps. Ethanol fuel is probably where the water came from.

As for the coolant leak, it is the thermostat housing, now then, I've heard horror stories about some of the aftermarket ones, so I have a pair of questions, one, how hard is it to change the upper and lower housing, and two, what's the best brand to go with. At the moment, I can't tell which is leaking, upper or lower, I think it's lower, but the beauty cover Ford put on blocks a ton of stuff from easy view IMO
Upgrade to the MUCH less expensive and improved RH144 lower t-stat housing. Yet to hear any regrets.

4.0 SOHC plastic thermostat housing | Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

As for the water, it barely did want to run at times, that's what I wondered about. There wasn't much in the lines but there was some, the filter was mostly full though. It amazes me it did run, then again, now it runs smooth at start up, and before it'd stumble some, misfire, and stall on occasion. I'll look into the cheaper housing too, because the one that is called for is very very expensive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, the intake gaskets still need doing, I got those, any tips before I undertake them? Would've done it today but didn't have the right tool. Also got the thermostat housing, did convert to the newer housing, got a like new housing off (Motorcraft) a friend's car that blew a head gasket and filled the oil with coolant, cleaned it, and undertook that. Removing the UI is a great tip, even with a wobble joints, the housing is placed just right to be a PITA, but after a good hour and a half, it's off and the new one is on, new seal, bolted down, both sensors are in and plugged in. Got dark on me before I could finish. The old housing was leaking pretty well everywhere, bottom seal at the block, both sensors spun freely in the holes, the seam was splitting, and was leaking at the thermostat gasket, it was using around half a gallon every ten miles, and considering I do mostly all highway driving, that's not good. It's the original housing too, both pieces say August of 2000, so it's due. As for pictures, I do still have to go Elite, I'll probably tackle that this week.

Back