V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer Build Log | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Swapped Eddie Bauer Build Log

Update, got the corners restored since they were old and yellowed, absolutely loving the look with the headlight bulbs I've got installed, got to do something for the fogs next, they aren't fitting in with everything else. On other other news, did my 2nd oil change at roughly 4,200 miles, oil came out looking close to new, was a bit thinner seeming, changed it with Castrol 5w30 again, and I've got a PSA to anybody on here, do NOT use an STP oil filter, use straight Motorcraft, on my first change I got what the book called for, and it was the FL-820S, which OFC didn't work, so I stuck an STP on it I had, and it just didn't seem like it kept the oil from draining back very well on a startup after a day or two, well ever since then, it's started quietly at cold and ran quiet at cold. To be fair, I've never seen an STP filter that was worth a darn, most drain back or do a garbage job in my experience. On other news, tires have been out to get me, RR tire got bald, and then went flat, LF tire I ran over a screw out one of my computers I bought recently, got it fixed, and the RF the valve core started leaking and that was nice to find. Also replaced the driver's side upper ball joint, and I'd about swear getting the old arm off the V8 was easier, which I'm growing to hate the SOHC, when it works right, it's superb, it's just keeping it that way.

Only other updates I have is, I managed to blow one of my aftermarket door speakers, which they're the first step up from the Walmart cheapo ones, and I just put a stock speaker from a 4 speaker system in it's place since I keep a stack of those for various projects

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, Fog light lenses are glass, not plastic. STP oil filters are about the worst garbage on the market. If Motorcraft FL820-S (metric) oil filter didn't fit, you have SAE threads for your oil filter and need a Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter.

Yeah I learned that, about the time I started just buying for a 2000 instead of an 01, which most 01s that are 2nd gens were built in 2000 anyhow so I don't worry about it. As for the fogs being glass, I'm aware, I'm mostly wanting to do bulbs to change the color temp, I put both housings in it out a 136K 99 Sport. The fan clutch is actually bad I think, it sounds like an airplane, has gotten gutless and people keep telling me I'm romping on it when I'm not, plus the MPGs have dropped. That'll probably end up taken out either the same 99 Sport, since the fan is inside it, the engine being out OFC and it being an easy snag to take the clutch off of, or a rockauto item, local parts store wants a bit much ATM.

So, got the fan clutch done, and the fan, turns out my fan was cracked, thought about doing the steel fan I occasionally see in early V8s but IDK if they'll work right so I went with another plastic one that wasn't cracked. It's amazing how quiet the SOHC is when everything is right, and how much stronger this thing seems now that the fan situation is fixed, which the MPG have gone up, get over 20 going 60 on flat roads, the thing still turns 3K at 70, but the MPG is over 18, so I'm probably gonna leave that alone, considering I've debated trying to trade this thing for a V8 or 5.3 GM roundbody, if I traded it for a V8, I could part my 99, all it needed when wrecked was a spring in the valve body in the trans, shifted hard from 1st to 2nd.

So, another update, took the time today to detail it, take that visor off the bottom of the front bumper, and picked up the front bumper 2 inches since when I measured it, it had been lowered in the front that far, probably to had the spring sag in the back, and it looks great, isn't squatted (If you don't know, google "Carolina Squat) like you'd think, it's still level, might be leaning, but I'm much happier with the overall look, considering the 99 had this thing beat hands down in stance, better yet, there's room for more tire, so I'm gonna certainly get around to taking advantage of that, been debating keeping this thing if it holds a good act together, I feel like I'm halfway to new, at the same time, a V8 would be nice to try to find

So, made another change, and yeah, I've seen the threads, I'm used to being roasted, and no, no comments on the RAM in the background, that isn't mine, nor do I want it, I have a personal problem with Mopar stuff. Also it's worth mentioning I have multiple sets of these, so I can go stock if a problem arises, which I doubt will happen.

*Edit* For the legality side, I asked a few officer friends of mine, by "various reasons", and they looked and said I was fine. I've pulled about all the stops. I'm also probably doing LEDs back there soon, talking about it with a friend who does lights, so I'll have the visibility covered.

tails_zpsbodnbh9y.png

Alright, for those who have been following my general postings, you might have seen I posted earlier about a 2000 XLT with the V8, that was being sold with a bad frame and fuel pump, well I went and looked at it, the rust isn't anywhere near as bad as he claimed, it needs shackles, shocks, and some general care and compassion, the fluids all look good, transmission has been replaced, front driveshaft is still in it. Well, tomorrow he's going to locate the title, I went and looked at it, his price is decent for what I'm getting, I'm going to put shocks and shackles on it, and put my project efforts towards it. As for the 01, it's likely going to be sold, it doesn't enter TC lockup, and has an intermittent timing chain rattle developing, and leaks a bit of everything. I'm going to go through it and do a lot of just small things wrong with it, and probably sell it, since it's a SOHC, and I'm gonna have at least a tough example of a V8. The body is in amazing shape on the 2000, it doesn't look 256K by any means.

Okay so, time for an update on this thread, one of the final few. Yup, I've decided to sell it, I've got my V8 truck and identical parts truck now, and this is a SOHC, and needs yet another thermostat housing, not sure why they don't hang around but I've just gotten tired of the SOHC ordeal, so it's going up for sale, these bring good money in my area so I'm going to try for close to top dollar since it's a great example without too many miles on it.

So, time for due update, decided to hang on to it for a while, I mean, it was a rather clean 2001 southern truck, only real issue was no OD, rolled up to 195K, and am almost at 196K, pulled up to a drive through earlier, and I've had a timing chain guide go bad, rattles cold or warm, so that sucks, going to pull the lower oil pan in a day or two and see what's home in there. Now another question before I start any real research, even though I have a drop in, what's a good way to go on guides? Company and kit etc? Reason being, I might very well keep this truck a while yet and work the kinks out my V8 and who knows how long afterwards, so I want it done right.

Do you have a different thread for the 2000 v8?

So, I've come to a decision I'm pretty sure that I'm going to do, won't be too incredibly expensive and it'll put a permanent fix to an extent on the SOHC in this truck, which has a light rattle and the original tired transmission, and that's to V8 swap it, donors are easy to come by wrecked. Reason is, the body and frame are southern, no rust whatsoever, never seen a minute of salt, it drives straight down the road, has a great suspension with no issues, clean body with great paint, the drivers fender being the worst thing, good clean interior with only the front seats showing any wear, so if I did a V8 swap, logic says I'd have about as nice of a 302 Explorer as anybody, because I absolutely love this truck, never been a minute I haven't enjoyed driving it, and it's everything I could want in an Explorer except the 5.0, so why not?

Subscribing. You can be the next to do the 302 swap, and list the required parts to change. Have fun with that project.

I'm hoping to end my projects by doing my 99 truck, making it a rebuilt 302 etc. I'll probably buy the separate parts from a JY, since I already have the extra engine/trans/TC parts.

Subscribing. You can be the next to do the 302 swap, and list the required parts to change. Have fun with that project.

I'm hoping to end my projects by doing my 99 truck, making it a rebuilt 302 etc. I'll probably buy the separate parts from a JY, since I already have the extra engine/trans/TC parts.

Thanks, not sure when the wheels are gonna get rolling, but I know it's before the end of summer, and it's coming after I get my 2000 with the V8 roadworthy, since it needs a front end rebuild, but then we're gonna get right on it, plan is to buy a parts truck off the salvage sales, like a Copart truck that's running and driving but a total loss with reasonable miles, strip it to the hull and swap my Eddie Bauer, and then dispatch the remains of the donor on to the JY

So, for those who don't know, or haven't seen, I quit driving my truck not too long after that last post, why? Well basically, it developed a run hot condition and was grenading thermostat housings, basically diagnosed as a head gasket upon several days of working on it, it also had bad timing guides, and a degrading 5R55E, I ended up driving my $200 V8. Anyhow, the time is coming near to pull the 4.0 from this thing, I have a 5.0 swap planned, as well as another 4.0 engine that's just chilling that's got the updated timing guides etc, so I'm gonna ask mostly since I'll likely strip the old engine, are the heads and cams and whatnot worth much? The head gasket was blown but it was in time and ran good, really good.

So today I started stripping down the 99 for the V8 donor, in other news, I also did a compression test on the old 4.0, the results? Average of 120PSI, that seems low, but it don't matter.

So, at long last, I've got an update to this truck. Yes, this one, the one I'm V8 swapping. It's well under the knife at the moment, again. Got it up on jackstands on all four corners, and am within roughly an hour's worth of work or so of hooking to the motor and lifting it out I hope. Question. The bolts were rounded for the exhaust, no hope of getting a hold of them, and since I'm not willing to chop up the good exhaust where it's useless on another truck, I've elected to just drop the manifolds off the engine. Question, where's a strong place to chain or hook to the motor to lift it without the manifolds on it? I've seen people just pull these with straps or old seatbelts around the manifolds but that's out the question.

So, four engine mount nuts, and three bell housing bolts best I can tell (there's 7 right?) and I'm gonna lift the V6 out, then comes the easier part, just getting the trans down. Few comments are, whoever designed the 5R55E and flywheel etc, needed to do it again. the 4R70W IMO is an easier unit to unbolt from the engine. Don't think I'm going to work on it tomorrow due to Thanksgiving though.

So, turns out that those bolts, that wasn't ALL of it. The good news is I've got the V6 on the ground. I'm proud as heck right now, I see my way finished with this soon. First comments are, the $100 transmission jack you can get at Harbor Freight, best $100 you can spend. Last transmission I did without one, not this go round though, I bought the jack, it's well worth it, I couldn't be happier. Another comment, check the fluid in the engine hoist before you have a V6 hanging there, three inches from out of the truck, only to have the hoist quit pumping.

The go plan now is, lower the V6 transmission out, pick up the V8, do the valve cover gaskets, and rear and front main seals, and basically the works, new hoses etc, then in it goes. Then up with the transmission. Seems simplier to do it that way, I don't have to deal with the trans sitting in the engine, I can just sit the engine in and start bolting everything together, then install the transmission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the trans is out, the $100 trans jack from Harbor Freight is the best $100 spent so far. With that, I'm halfway done, now am converting what needs to be converted to V8 parts, and then in goes the V8. Going back looks simple enough, and quicker than coming apart.

Back