• Register Today It's free!

V8 Torque numbers 08 vs 09

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
The hp and torque numbers for the 3v 4.6 v8 from 06-08 were 292HP and 300ft/lb torque, but in 09 the numbers were 292HP and 315ft/lb torque.

Does anyone know if they made tweaks to get the additional 15ft/lb or if they just recalculated the number and updated the 'lower' estimate. If tweaks were made, to what, computer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm seen lists that show 300 ft-lbs for '06-'10, and I'm seen lists that show 315 ft-lbs for '06-'10. But I have not seen any lists that show the torque increasing during that range.

Sounds like there was no change between 2006 and 2010. Rather, there are differences in reporting. 300 is what I usually hear. Perhaps the F150's 4.6L was tuned to 315 (?).

thanks for the reply, yeah I don't trust random sources online, however, I am actually refering to the numbers posted on ford.com. through 08 (model year) it listed 300 starting with model year 09 it listed 315 for the explorer. Obviously no proof of that now, but 'back in the day' it was posted as such.

just curious if it was an actual change or just the reporting of it. An example is when nissan and toyota had to change their HP claims on the frontier and tacoma with the new SAE requirements the frontier went from 265 to 261 and the tacoma went from 245 to 236 (if memory serves right). the actual output of the motor didnt change, just the accuracy of the reporting. Whereas if ford actually did something to the engine tune or exhaust to squeek out 15 extra ft/lb or was just reporting low in years prior.

Maybe Cory, the Ford customer service rep can answer that.

Maybe Cory, the Ford customer service rep can answer that.
Thanks for suggesting that I look into this, Davidm53. :) I checked with my advisor and he told me that it’s due to a Powertrain Control Module calibration change and it’s not something that applies to older model years. I hope that helps! :D

Cory

Thanks Cory, that is interesting and I can put my curiousity to rest now.

Wonder if the car was in for service if the PCM could be flashed by the dealer to obtain the extra 15 ft/lbs

Thanks Cory, that is interesting and I can put my curiousity to rest now.

Wonder if the car was in for service if the PCM could be flashed by the dealer to obtain the extra 15 ft/lbs
You got it, Bender! You know what they say about curiosity... ;) From what I’ve been told, the flashes are each vehicle specific and that wouldn’t be possible. I hope you have a great week (Or what’s left of it!). :D

Cory

Back