Valve stem issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Valve stem issues

On the 4th of July I purchased a 2018 Explorer Sport with 10,200 miles on it. Since I also own a 2016 SHO I’m very familiar with the Ford product and especially the 3.5 tt. But if anything weird is going to happen...it’s going to happen to me. Just my luck. Within a week or so I received a low tire pressure notice for the driver front. After a little investigation I noticed it was the valve stem. It had a serious cut in it. Took it to the dealer and it was handled under warranty. Ok. No harm, no foul. Yesterday I was on a 4 hour road trip and get the low pressure warning again for the passenger front this time. Pull off the highway, get some air, jiggle the valve stem and yep. That’s the issue. Limp home, watching a slow decline in pressure in the tire and bracing for a catastrophic failure. Thankfully that didn’t happen. But I check the rear valve stems and sure enough. Driver rear has an issue that just hasn’t developed to the point that it triggers the tpms. Anybody else ever have this issue?

That’s weird being that they are not that old.

I wonder if some sort of sleeved stems might help your situation...

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Pressure-Sleeves-Chrome-Plated/dp/

Or maybe full metal stems would be ideal...
Yeah I thought the same. The stem that the dealer installed on the driver front looks as thought it has a brass insert running the length of the stem inside the rubber. That made me think it was a known issue and a more robust stem had been selected as a replacement. But, so far, it seems to be just a one off.

Crazy enough...2 of the remaining 3 originals had leaks. The 4th original leaked as soon as they bent it. Hopefully now we are good to go!

Back