• Register Today It's free!

Various/Random System Faults

mrdbomb

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
On Monday, as I was driving, I had four different alert (and related system failures) come up at the same time - Collision Warning Not Available, Cross Traffic System Fault, a picture of a wrench (which the owners manual indicates to be a powertrain failure) and a Service AdvancTrac alert. I pulled over, at which time I realized that no gear indicator was lit (on the display panel, the gear that you are in-in my case Drive-is lit up orange), the Stability Control indicator and Stability Control Off indicator lights were both on and nothing was lit up on the Terrain Response dial. I shifted the car in to park, at which time the car jolted hard into park. When I subsequently turned the car of and back on, all was back to normal.

Took care to dealership and they couldn't recreate the problem so they returned my care to me and sent me on my way.

Today, as I was changing lanes, my power steering went out and the Lane Keeping System Malfunction Svc. Required and Power Steering Assist Fault alerts both came on. I had to carefully drive my Explorer off the road to park and call roadside assistance. I haven't tried driving it again and will be having it looked at by the dealership again tomorrow.

I am waiting to hear what they recommend but am wondering if anyone else has had this crazy mix of system failures happen. Is a 2013 Explorer Limited with 21k miles.

Any ideas or suggestions? Am a bit nervous about driving it again and loosing my power steering at a dangerous time and/or other system failures that might happen in light of the strange blend of failures that cropped up just this week.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Loosing your Power Steering, even if only temporary is very dangerous....You need to get the vehicle to Ford and be insistent, and just as important is to file a complaint with NHTSA........best regards Plum

On Monday, as I was driving, I had four different alert (and related system failures) come up at the same time - Collision Warning Not Available, Cross Traffic System Fault, a picture of a wrench (which the owners manual indicates to be a powertrain failure) and a Service AdvancTrac alert...

Get in touch with me via private message (PM), mrdbomb; I'll get this moved up the line to your regional customer service manager. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

On Monday, as I was driving, I had four different alert (and related system failures) come up at the same time - Collision Warning Not Available, Cross Traffic System Fault, a picture of a wrench (which the owners manual indicates to be a powertrain failure) and a Service AdvancTrac alert. I pulled over, at which time I realized that no gear indicator was lit (on the display panel, the gear that you are in-in my case Drive-is lit up orange), the Stability Control indicator and Stability Control Off indicator lights were both on and nothing was lit up on the Terrain Response dial. I shifted the car in to park, at which time the car jolted hard into park. When I subsequently turned the car of and back on, all was back to normal.

Took care to dealership and they couldn't recreate the problem so they returned my care to me and sent me on my way.

Today, as I was changing lanes, my power steering went out and the Lane Keeping System Malfunction Svc. Required and Power Steering Assist Fault alerts both came on. I had to carefully drive my Explorer off the road to park and call roadside assistance. I haven't tried driving it again and will be having it looked at by the dealership again tomorrow.

I am waiting to hear what they recommend but am wondering if anyone else has had this crazy mix of system failures happen. Is a 2013 Explorer Limited with 21k miles.

Any ideas or suggestions? Am a bit nervous about driving it again and loosing my power steering at a dangerous time and/or other system failures that might happen in light of the strange blend of failures that cropped up just this week.......
For the steering issue, check out the following 37 page thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320445

Also, as plumbago mentioned, it is very important to file a report with the NHTSA. A link is provided in some of the posts in the thread I listed.

Peter

Update

Thanks, all, for the responses. I started reading the thread mentioned regarding the power steering loss and see many similarities to what happened to me.

I had my vehicle towed into my dealership yesterday morning and heard back from them yesterday afternoon. They told me that they have diagnosed the issue and need to replace the steering rack as has been mentioned throughout the above mentioned thread. The service manager mentioned that, by working through the Ford Service hotline, they determined that this was a 'known' issue and that all the problems that I have had this week are related to the electronics in the steering rack. (Sorry, I am not very eloquent with the technical terminology.....am trying to use appropriate terminology but am doing a terrible job of explaining it as he did. My husband usually deals with this kind of stuff but I have been trying to muddle my way though this matter since he wasn't with me either time I have had issue......). The Service Advisor indicated that this is a 'major' repair and it sounded as though they hadn't seen this before at this dealership. Anyway, they found the necessary part in Portland (we are in the Seattle area) and, due to the long Memorial Day weekend, parts should arrive on Tuesday and repairs will begin. I have been provided a rental in the meantime and will wait to see how things progress. I am happy, so far, with the attention my dealership has given this issue and hope things continue positively. I have to admit, however, that I will likely be nervous for some time that it will happen again, unexpectedly.

I appreciate the quick response from everyone. Very educational!

You are very welcome. Glad we could 'steer' you in the right direction. :D

Peter

ok my 2013 XLT is at it again,,,, I trusted the dealer who said the rack n pinion needed to be replaced to the tune of 2700 dollars at which point i found a second opinion and had that hardware replaced and was fine for about two weeks until a Service AdvanceTrac warning came on and the steering went to manual no electric assist,,,, this is dangerous. The ECU codes are the same as the TSB so no arguaing that its the same issue.

I do a little research with the NHTSA and it looks like my car, Was manufactured 14 March 2012,,, there is a recall that included the exact same issue including the AdvanceTrac problem on explorers manufactured at the same plant until 28 February 2012,,,,, I get there has to be a line but somewhere dont you accomodate a faitful customer buying 6 Fords in his life mostly ford service until it is exorbanantly overpriced ?

looking through the rest of NHSTA there are extensions of the electric assist reprogramming to correct the AdvanceTrac computer problem til 2023 however only if the Explorer was under the 28 February 2012 original recall.

I have gotten nowhere with the customer service 800 number except were sorry you are experiencing the same exact symptoms as the cars manufactured two weeks prior to yours in the same plant, But we have to draw the line somewhere and the problem is probably related to something else. The dealer has some resources to work with you but you need to speak to them. mean time I have not heard a peep from the local custome service rep ED, this case was opened last week and the vehicle has done this numerous times , is sitting in my driveway was hoping to hear positive news about the computer issue after spending the money to replace a part that should have clearly been covered in this recall 14S06

My VIN
should you like to chek it PeterK9 1FM5K7D87DGA20473

i urge anyone with this issue to file with the NHSTA and plead your case with
Kelly Schuler, who may be reached by phone at 202-366-5227, by email at Kelly.Schuler@dot.gov,

Michael Berardi

Director

Service Engineering Operations
Ford Customer Service Division
Ford Motor Company
P. O. Box 1904
Dearborn, Michigan 48121

MR. STEVE KENNER

GLOBAL DIRECTOR, AUTOMOTIVE SAFETY OFFICE 12V-006
ENVIRONMENTAL & SAFETY ENGINEERING
FORD MOTOR COMPANY
330 TOWN CENTER DRIVE SUITE 400
DEARBORN, MI 48126-2738

The software update does not fix the problem. It is a hardware issue.

All the software does is prevent full failure when the rack goes bad. While driving, you will get a "Service power steering soon" message in yellow. This still allows you to steer easier till you shut down. Once you shut down and restart, the message will the go to "service power steering now" message in red and you will have zero assist.

The point of the software was to allow people to safely pull over or make it to your destination instead of immediately assist failure.

Hi Blowin Smoke, That is exactly what is happening since the hardware change. I cannot drive it since i got it into my driveway with those two messages (both AdvanceTrac and Service Power Steering soon) in the DIC,,, i got home and shut off restarted, no steering , i reparked it in the driveway with as you say "Zero Assist" I assume it will need to be towed to the next location.

my dilema is trying to get the Ford people to acknowledge the issue as i bring it in would be helpful, this dealer is zero help in the past and I would like to see if Ford customer service would at least say ,,yes this is the same known issue from the same plant on a recall on cars two weeks before your car came off the line..... maybe i can get some relief from the already expensive repair that came out of my pocket on the rack... 1200.00 and now a computer problem that was covered and extended in that recall on those same cars two weeks before mine is covered as well...

can someone help

its not like i dont love these cars i have had 5 of them

Hi Blowin Smoke, That is exactly what is happening since the hardware change. I cannot drive it since i got it into my driveway with those two messages (both AdvanceTrac and Service Power Steering soon) in the DIC,,, i got home and shut off restarted, no steering , i reparked it in the driveway with as you say "Zero Assist" I assume it will need to be towed to the next location.

my dilema is trying to get the Ford people to acknowledge the issue as i bring it in would be helpful, this dealer is zero help in the past and I would like to see if Ford customer service would at least say ,,yes this is the same known issue from the same plant on a recall on cars two weeks before your car came off the line..... maybe i can get some relief from the already expensive repair that came out of my pocket on the rack... 1200.00 and now a computer problem that was covered and extended in that recall on those same cars two weeks before mine is covered as well...

can someone help

its not like i dont love these cars i have had 5 of them

Was the rack a brand new OEM or a reman unit? If OEM, you have a 2 yr/unlimited mile warranty on it.

Also, did the vehicle get programmed to the new rack when it was installed? When a new rack goes in, it needs to be programmed to the vehicle for it to operate properly (and an alignment).

Was the rack a brand new OEM or a reman unit? If OEM, you have a 2 yr/unlimited mile warranty on it.

Also, did the vehicle get programmed to the new rack when it was installed? When a new rack goes in, it needs to be programmed to the vehicle for it to operate properly (and an alignment).

Hi. It was replaced with lifetime warrantee rack local shop and “relearned” at his shop. He is telling me this can bus has a known ford issue when replacing the hardware and the electric steering assist module needs a reflash to get it to operate in that system. It worked for a bit and quit. Relearned same thing. Snap on I guess gave him this reflash info and also the fact that the mfg requires it with any new hardware reman or new. Due to a new dc motor driver module.

all I can say is this is sad that I was two weeks from being fully covered on something that is a known issue for more than just 2010-2012

RN

Back