1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Tracking, Mileage, et al.

Discussion in '2020 Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by Deleted member 352744, December 21, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Good Friends,

Being in law enforcement, I do not want my 2020 XLT tracked by Ford. Nor do I want mileage reported for a variety of reasons; all security-based.

After calling Ford, I was told that my dealer (Causeway Ford in Manahawkin, NJ) can turn the tracking/reporting off. I called the Service Dept. and they confirmed. They said they have done this for others in the past and find it a routine request.

I was informed that the process involves them keeping my Explorer for the majority of the day. Hence, my question is what will be done and why is it so time-consuming?

Out of sheer curiosity, I would be most appreciative if someone can give me the scoop.

Best Wishes for the Holidays to All!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    I believe this is the first time this issue has been raised in either the 5th and 6th generation forums. Therefore, I'm not sure if there are too many members, if any, that have an insight to all that is required to accomplish what you've asked for. I'm sure there are others that would be interested in the answer.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. DWD

DWD Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, OK
    2002 Explorer XLT V8
    I too would be very interested in this service. It seems like Security 101. Also, are there any unintended consequences of having such service performed?

5. NJ Fred

NJ Fred New Member

2020 XLT
    So here's the scoop to-date. (I'm the OP with a name change). Just got back from my selling dealer (Causeway Ford, Manahawkin, NJ). The Service Manager tells me with a grin: "you've started something!"

He proceeds to tell that a Ford Dealer somewhere in Texas called him asking how to turn off the tracking as he has several customers who also want this done. When my service guy inquires as to "why call me in Jersey?" he's told by the Texan that Ford Motor Company told him Causeway has the know-how to do this.

For me, the begging question is why would Ford leave it to an individual dealership to come up with this "fix"? If, in fact, this can be done and it does not void the warranty or impact other system, shouldn't the manufacturer hande it?

Prior to my 2020 XLT, I owned two GMC Terrains. In those cases, I merely had to call the Onstar help line. Onstar people read me a series of scripted questions and the conversation was recorded. The questions were diverse. Everything from the subject of emergency aid in case of accident to identifying mechanical issues that might be brewing. Once I gave consent, they simply pushed a few buttons on their end and Onstar went dead.

I have already turned off any switches (via the display) that speak to reporting data back to Ford. Is this enough? That's above my paygrade to answer. And, if it is enough, why then did Ford not know their product well enough to get it done self-service?

The Service Manager at my dealership in NJ had his interest piqued. He is doing some research and promised to call me within one week to report on what he finds.

To be continued...

Fred

6. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Assuming the vehicle has SYNC3 with SYNC Connect, you just need to master reset the SYNC system and DO NOT enable the SYNC Connect system through the Ford Pass App. The other sure fire way is to locate the TCU (that's the modem that sends the data - its located behind the driver side read load space trim) and unplug the power plug.

Last edited: December 26, 2019
  7. NJ Fred

NJ Fred New Member

2020 XLT
    Thanks, Jason. I will share this with the NJ Service Manager. I have SYNC 3.4.

Can I do the master SYNC reset myself or is this a dealership thing?

I'm just amazed at how this issue seems to be growing internally with Ford.

Happy 2020 and thank you!

Fred

Last edited: December 26, 2019
  8. NJ Fred

NJ Fred New Member

2020 XLT
    Update - forwarded Jason's "fixes" to my dealership's service manger. He opined that by removing power to the onboard modem would create new (unspecified) problems.

I did confer with a federal attorney friend. He assures me that Ford has no right to surveillance. To endow that right would require a specific, signed authorization from me. Obviously, no such document exists.

The beat goes on...

9. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    The only issue would be a DTC set in the SYNC System (APIM) for not seeing the TCU (telematics) unit. Service people don't know the details of stuff like this. You would be fine pulling the plug on it.

10. NJ Fred

NJ Fred New Member

2020 XLT
    I'm gonna give it a shot, Jason. If I recall, I need to remove the trim panel on the driver side of the luggage area to access the modem? Will I need any tools? I am quite the unhandy man!

Thank you once again. Your guidance is richly appreciated!

Fred

11. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

City, State:
    Anchorage,AK
    2020, Explorer, XLT
    I am curious as to what you found out. Did pulling the Power stop the tracking? Have you had any issues since? I just bought a 2020 Explorer today and am curious about this.

12. NJ Fred

NJ Fred New Member

2020 XLT
    We left for Florida and return to Jersey in a few weeks - the car is locked up there. Once I give it a shot, I will post.

Regrads,

Fred

13. Frozengeek

Frozengeek New Member

City, State:
    Anchorage,AK
    2020, Explorer, XLT
    Thanks, I appreciate it.