Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Veridian Scam

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by shamaal, February 9, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. shamaal

shamaal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    91 Mazda Navajo
    This one's unusual

Mrs. Shamaal just received a letter addressed to her from Veridian Group Inc. It appears she has won a lottery in Canada. Enclosed is a check made out to her for $4500.00. She is also asked to not act on this offer until she speaks with their agent. The letter comes from Canada and the check is real with watermark and everything. One minor detail it says To THE ORDER 0F instead of TO THE ORDER OF. The place to send the moneygram to is 1898 Yonge Street, Halifax Nova Scotia V4P 2R4

There is also a paragraph requesting a moneygram be sent to a person in Nova Scotia to pay the GST of $2980.

Obviously this is a scam, there are a thousand of them on the internet. What’s remarkable to me about this one is that it is sent through the mail, that is a federal offense (mail fraud). Also being in Canada is really asking for trouble. Many people will attempt to deposit the check which will of course bounce. I’ll call the post office and see if they want it, I suspect there are thousands of these going out. Anyone else get one of these?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. TheJackal

TheJackal Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mandeville, LA
    1999 Explorer XL 2WD
    I hadn't, but I hear there's a surge of these common Internet scams, except now in real life.

With the economy as bad as it is, and everyone unemployed, there's going to be a lot more of this as desperation sets in.

4. shamaal

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    That's what's unusual about this.

This is not an internet scam. It was received through snail mail, with an honest to God watermarked check with no non-negotiable legend. Pretty much the clearest case of federal mail fraud I've ever come across. I dropped it off at the post office and the fraud guy said this is the first he's seen of it. It's a Nigerian 419 scam only on snail mail

There's gonna be a lot of people pissed off along with their banks when these start bouncing.

5. gijoecam

gijoecam Village Idiot Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Trenton, MI
    98 ExSport, '00 F-150
    I've heard of several of these over the last couple of years... I suspect the perpetrators are located in countries where they won't be prosecuted. They're simply hoping to catch an unsuspecting elderly person (I could totally see my mother in law falling for one of these). It sucks... Wish someone would hire a bounty hunter to go find these crooks and eliminate them from the gene pool.

6. shamaal

City, State:
    Friensdwood, Texas
    91 Mazda Navajo
    This guy lives in Canada, he has an Ontario phone number.

I dropped the letter off at the US Post office and filed a fraud report. I looked up the Canada Post website, apparently they do not have mail fraud in Canada. Today I'll call up the bank that the bogus check is drawn on and see if they are interested.

This one should be a slam dunk, Canada's a trading partner of some sort. There must be some sort of cross border law enforcement arrangement. $450,000 in attempted mail fraud should carry some sort of penalty, even in the frozen North. ;)

7. jmtill

jmtill New Member

Veridian Group Scam

I received the infamous letter at the beginning of the month. I read some scam reports on ripoff.com but of course I was curious. I deposited the check yesterday and so far it has went through. Now I am regretting that because I am not sure what could happen now. The bank assures me nobody on that end can retrieve my account info but now what?

8. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    jmtill

seriously?

you deposited a check you think is from a scam after you read ripoff.com

its gonna bouncey bouncey

9. jmtill

jmtill New Member

I know. Obviously I am not going to take the step they ask to send a money gram to the tax agent but let it bounce. I am usually smarter than this but my curiosity got the best of me.

10. 410Fortune

410Fortune Snow Season Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
    NORTH IDAHO, 7B
    B2 Slightly Modified
    cool!
    Everyone who gets this scam is tempted! LOL

Keep us posted!