very bad odor from AC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

very bad odor from AC

alawneh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
ford explorer 2010
hi everybody, i have a very bad odor from AC when i turn it on for the first 10-15 seconds, but the Ac work perfectly, i changed the air filter and odor still.
ford explorer 2010

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mold can grow in the evp. box if it does not drain properly and dry out, or maybe someone broke andd egg down into the cowl area under the wiper blades?

If I can remember right, I put lemon smelling bleach in a pump sprayer and sprayed it up the tube where water drips out of under the truck.

Remove your cabin filter and replace the cover. Turn on the air and spray some lysol aerosol or other mold/mildew/bacteria cleaner in the cowl air intake while the a/c is on, medium or high fan. It's a quick and easy method that can work if done soon enough. It may need done multiple times though and a foaming evaporator cleaner sprayed in through the condensate drain tube does a better job on tougher cases. But, chances are you already have the necessary supplies to try the quick & dirty method.

I replaced the blend door, I must have missed the cabin filter b/c i did see one when I had the dashboard out of the truck.

My 2007 doesn't have a cabin filter. I doubt the 2010 has one either.

I’ve had this problem with several different cars. I believe this is due to my driving habits living in the south. Short trips with the a/c set to high. I’ve had success with changing the air filter and spraying Lysol too and I now add a step to prevent/delay the odor from coming back. When I return home I leave the a/c on with recycle off. Then I leave a window or two partially open. My theory is this allows the vents to dry quicker to prevent the molds from growing too much. Hope it helps.

Mold can grow in the evp. box if it does not drain properly and dry out, or maybe someone broke andd egg down into the cowl area under the wiper blades?
Pretty specific, lol. I’m sure this couldn’t be the case, however.

Most likely a mold issue as suggested above.

Back