Very poor ride quality (01 EXP 5.0L AWD) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very poor ride quality (01 EXP 5.0L AWD)

Ace67

Reaction score
City, State
SW Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01Explorer XLT 5.0L AWD
I bought my 2001 EXP 5.0L AWD in November with 140K on the clock. It has had a really poor ride since I bought it, which I assumed was the tires which were mismatched, poor quality, same sized skins. Finally got around to replacing them, and the ride is no better. The truck rides as if tires are out of balance, or have broken cords, with a shimmy that is sometimes better and sometimes worse. I've been around cars all my life and never felt anything coming close to this ride quality, or lack-thereof. Anyone else experience anything like this? Any ideas on how to smooth out this rough riding beast?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 140k your shocks are definitely shot (all 5 of them). The OE shocks, at 90K, where done on my Explorer. I don't know what is the state of the other components of the suspension. Some might affect the alignment too.

Check the shocks, are they black and corroded? Might still be factory. Upgrade to Bilsteins HD.

This is the cheapest source I've been able to find, though it seems there having some issues with their website.

http://www.eshocks.com/

Also, checking the ball joints, upper and lower might be a good idea, if they're still stock then it's time for a replacement. Dorman upper control arms are cheap and excellent quality. Moog lowers would be nice as they come with lifetime warranty. At 140k, if all these components are still stock then a replacement is necessary. Also, check your steering components. My truck has 150k KM on it and I've already swapped out the outer tie rods. The inners are likely next.

If you do this work yourself, it's actually surprisingly inexpensive. At a mechanics they will charge at least an hour for UCAs, lower ball joints, etc. etc. so your price will increase dramatically.

So, you're saying, that at 140k the suspension parts ARE worn out. I will agree that is a lot of miles, but, doesn't mean they are in fact worn out.

Changing from dismal Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S improved my ride ALOT. Pricey, but well worth it.

Shocks are supposed to last 50k miles. At 140k miles are long gone...
They are one of those thinkgs that go bad gradually and the owner gets used to that poor ride. Usually only when another one drives that vehicle for the first time can notice the faulty shocks.
Is not had to remove them and see how easy they travel.

So, you're saying, that at 140k the suspension parts ARE worn out. I will agree that is a lot of miles, but, doesn't mean they are in fact worn out.

Mileage isn't the only factor. Age is a factor as well. All the front suspension bushings are rubber. Rubber only has right at 10 year life expectancy and your Explorer is 11 years old.

I've never seen a set of shocks on a truck that were still good at 140k. Other bushings and wear items are usually gone too. Not necessarily to the point of failure, but well past the point they will affect ride quality.

Have you had it anywhere and had the front end parts checked? Could be tie rod ends, ball joints or other things. Also, driving it at all with mis matched tires is a bad idea with an AWD.

User manual specifically says to use identical tires, identical inflated, for AWD.
Using different tires on AWD is one of the worst "ideas" and can lead to damages to power train.

Have you had it anywhere and had the front end parts checked? Could be tie rod ends, ball joints or other things. Also, driving it at all with mis matched tires is a bad idea with an AWD.
The price of getting the front end checked would likely buy you new tie rods, ball joints and control arms.

The first suspect is shocks. Monroe Sensa Tracs are good, the NAPA store brand shocks are Sensa Tracs, just painted blue and half the price. Otherwise, front suspension components as mentioned, also get Moog swaybar end links, one or both rear springs could be cracked and the bushings toasted.

The price of getting the front end checked would likely buy you new tie rods, ball joints and control arms.

Around my area, Monroe, Midas and a couple other estimate for free.

Very nice. In that case, take full advantage of it.

The first suspect is shocks. Monroe Sensa Tracs are good, the NAPA store brand shocks are Sensa Tracs, just painted blue and half the price. Otherwise, front suspension components as mentioned, also get Moog swaybar end links, one or both rear springs could be cracked and the bushings toasted.

Are you sure? Napa sells two lines - their base line (which is painted blue) and then a separate line called "Napa Sensatrac". I think the base line is similar to the Monroe Gasmatic shocks, not the sensatracs.

Back