• Register Today It's free!

Vibration 70 + mph

mariobie

Reaction score
City, State
Shelby Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi.
I just purchased my first truck ever. It is 2001 Sport Trac 4x4. I've noticed vibration and shaking while driving on smooth highway at speeds exceeding 65-80 mph ( didn't go above 80 ). Suspecting wheels and/or tires I've installed brand new wheels ( Vision ) and brand new Cooper tires and have them road force balanced. To my surprise still shakes, maybe a little more than before ??
Any ideas what should be checked next ?
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First you can try rotating tires front to rear. After that, a couple of vibrations I have had, have been front wheel hubs and front driveshaft. I took my front driveshaft out and drove it to determine that vibration. For Front hubs, jack the front up and try to lift up and down on wheel, should be no movement.

Thank you for your responses.
I am not sure if this is tire/wheel issue. I just put brand new wheels and brand new tires on this truck and have the shop road force balance.
I will try other suggestions though and thank you again

Vibration 70+ Mph

Hello.
Can anyone recommend a place for obtaining aluminum drive shaft for 2001 explorer sport trac ? What is the average price for this part ?
Thank you

Could be shocks related. Do you know how many miles they have on them? If they're factory I bet they are worn out.

Hello.
Can anyone recommend a place for obtaining aluminum drive shaft for 2001 explorer sport trac ? What is the average price for this part ?
Thank you

http://www.carolinadriveline.com

Its a custom shop but they make driveshafts pretty darn cheap and do great work. When I got a new front shaft I used them. Just under 300 bucks for full custom with long travel slip joint for my solid axle swap up front.

Just talked to Ford. Aluminum drive Shaft - part no. 1L5Z4602CD no longer available ( figures ! ) and obsolete. I was told that some companies may make these shafts. Can anyone provide some contacts as Ford couldn't tell me..
Thank you !

Check out my post above. They ship for cheap.

Great. Thank you Sir! Already talk to them. Need to send them some pictures before they can make one.. I just hope this will solve my " shaking " problem :)

Ok got brand new drive shaft from Carolina Drive Line
Still vibrating ! Aghrrrr

Ok got brand new drive shaft from Carolina Drive Line
Still vibrating ! Aghrrrr

My ST had a similar vibration, and I never got it resolved. New tires, new shocks, balance, etc....

I did noticed it seemed to be from the rear more than the front end. I got used to it eventually.

I'm sorry to hear the new driveshaft didn't fix it. Is it the whole truck or mostly the steering wheel? Could be worn out bushings in different places.

Seems like the steering wheel. It's really hard to say. There has to be a fix for this annoying problem....somewhere

Well.. Happy to advise that vibration problem is solved. at 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 + my 2001 ST drives straight, feels like driving on glass, smooth, no vibration, its just Purrrrfect.
After installing aluminum drive shaft I still had vibration. Had all wheels re-balanced again.
Decided to do it again. had them re-balanced one more time ( road force - again ! ) and this time it really worked ! Thank you all for help and advise

Great to hear! Hope the custom aluminum drive shaft didn't cost too much. Makes you wonder if the new tires were ever balanced.

Drive shaft was $ 350.00 with freight. I think cheaper than OEM from Ford which is no longer available. As for tires.. I do believe they've done lousy job balancing them first two times... can't have other explanation..

So is the conclusion that the vibration was caused by bad balanced tires? It's been awhile since I've driven at 70+ speed, but i do recall when I did hit 75-80 I too have vibration. I was always afraid to do any more (with flow of traffic).
When I can get some new rubber I'll have to make sure the balance is done right…there is a machine I have read that it's the best way, only way to ensure a proper balance but I can't recall. Is that your reference to road force?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi. I know for a fact that the vibration was caused by the rear shaft. When I bought my ST the original wheels were in pretty bad shape ( cosmetically speaking ) but with new tires which were balanced few times using so called " road force " method. Despite that the whole truck vibrated really bad; front end, mid cabin. I've put new wheels and new tires, keeping the old ones for harsh Michigan winter. Same vibration even though new wheels and tires were also road force balanced. Since Ford put out bulletin with remedy I've installed aluminum drive shaft from Carolina Drive. To my surprise the vibration was much less, nevertheless, still annoying. So I went back to the shop and had them road force rebalanced. The same shop who did the original road force balanced advised me that they were out of balance ( due to machine not being properly calibrated before ). After that I was anxious to get on highway and ...woow. This damn vibration stopped completely. I got to about 95 mph and it was a smooth ride ! Very short ( maybe a mile ) but NICE and SMOOTH:)

Back