1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Vibration at highway speeds

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by kc97xlt, July 7, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. kc97xlt

kc97xlt New Member

City, State:
    KCMO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Explorer XLT 4X4
    I my 97 XLT 4WD has front end vibration at highway speeds. It used to start at about 60mph and up, but seems to be starting around 55mph. Got it state inspected yesterday and told that lower ball joints are going. I have these ordered along with new upper ball joints.

I did some searching here on the vibration issue. One post I read mentioned to check the pinion seal, but didn't give anymore info. The shop told me yesterday that my front diff pinion seal is leaking.

What could be causing the front diff pinion seal to leak and could that be contributing to front end shake?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.