Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

video editing software

Discussion in 'Cameras, Cell Phones, and Electronic Gadgets' started by ChuckyD, October 4, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      03 4Runner SR5
      what software do you use for video editing?
      i would love to start getting involved with that!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Katy, TX
      1991 XLT
      Are you looking for pro/good quality software or the cheap kind you get with your computer? LOL... I would recommend Adobe Premier or if you are a Mac-er use Final Cuts Pro... they are both very solid, quality products. And of course you pay for what you get too though... thats the down side.
      --bryan

4. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clarksville, TN
      '00 XLT 4x4
      I've used Adobe Premier, Discreet Cinestream, Ulead VideoStudio and Ulead MediaStudio.

Adobe Premier is the way to go if you've got the money.
      Discreet Cinestream has many features, and is very good, but is set up quite different than any other NLE so I didn't like it very much.
      Ulead VideoStudio is NLE for dummies and sucks
      Ulead MediaStudio is layed out a lot like Premier, without a lot of the high-end effects, and is very decent for the price.

5. ChuckyD

ChuckyD Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Oceanside, NY
      03 4Runner SR5
      premier it is
      thanks guys

6. 99explorer5.0

99explorer5.0 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      RI
      '99 XLT 5.0L
      I use pinnacle studio. For what i use it for its perfect. From what i heard Adobe Premire is hard to work with unless you know exactly what you are doing.

7. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

will these programs combine different types of video (mpg, mov, avi) into a single video?

Robb

8. mmpc

mmpc Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Littleton, CO
      '05 Escape: No Boundaries
      If you're familiar with Adobe's Photoshop and understand it's somtimes archaic interface, you'll do fine with Premiere. As has been said, however, you'll get what you pay for - don't expect it to do everything and get used to waiting while it renders some sequences.

As for working with different formats and outputting the same, most software based NLEs (non-linear editors) will allow you to do that.

As one last piece of advice, don't worry so much about what everyone else is using as long as you find something YOU can work with. Most NLEs have fairly common features though a few will do some things better than another.

Finally, from a viewer's perspective, if you want people to enjoy watching your creations, don't be tempted to use every nifty effect that comes with the package. Many people just getting into video editing tend to forget that it's the content of the video that really matters, not some 3D effect...

9. Soundguy01tx

Soundguy01tx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Katy, TX
      1991 XLT
      I couldnt agree more Chris... make sure the video your editing is worth watching. If your editing a video of your cat playing with yarn... there is only sooo much of a cat with yarn that I can watch, regardless of the 3d effects... :) LOL
      --bryan

10. rocket 5979

rocket 5979 Resident Gearhead

City, State:
      Lake Villa, Illinois
      '03 XLT 4.6
      ok there are a few aspects to be finetuned here. my personal preference for a high end video editing program is the latest version of premier. i have a hookup in the business so i get free upgrades whenever he does. got to love my bro. lol. well anyways. there are also in my opinion which i have been doing alt of video editing and i.e. cutting splicing dl'ing from dvc cam, re-encoding to every format possible including divx4.12 5.0, and the usual mpeg-1,2 and the regular uncompressed avi too. plus also wav, and mp3 sound streams in different formats of video. for this stuff i like to use a few different programs that all put out a very good quality product. and arent hard to use either, or rather time consuming to learn to use. for encoding, cutting, splicing, demultiplexing(rip audio from video) and multiplexing(mixing them together) mpeg-1 and (mpeg-2 which i doubt you will want to use) i use a program called TMPGenc. get the 12a version being that it should still be free from here. www.afterdawn.com for doing the same thing to avi files i use vitualdub 1.4.8. now if you want to learn how to encode to divx then you got to shoot me an email because it is a longer process to get a quality divx encoded file but it is sooooooo much smaller and just as clear if not clearer. wow i think i put enough into this message for the day. any more questions on how to use those programs just ask. by the way virtualdub can be found at the same site above also.

11. jjue

jjue Elite Explorer<br>sXc Member

City, State:
      Brandon, MS
      '07 Nissan Titan CC LE
      I use Adobe Premiere 6.0 at the church, and I use Pinnacle Studio 7 at home with a P3-667. If I ever get a full-time job as an engineer or my video/IT consulting business picks up, I will be able to afford a newer 3CCD miniDV camera and a computer fast enough for a Matrox RT2500 with Adobe Premiere. Studio 7 ist still giving me an annoying skip in audio after a transition doing a crossfade between a photo and video or video and video. It does it only once on a project on both the rendered AVI and sending the timeline to the Firewire.