1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Viscous Coupler bad

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by sminnistbcc, May 1, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. sminnistbcc

sminnistbcc New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2004 Mercury Mountaineer
    A simple question i think. My viscous coupler is bad is binding up on sharp turns. Before I spend the money for a new one or used transfer case, does anyone know if adding a friction modifier to the fluid or replacing the existing fluid with the Ford transfer case fluid would free up the coupler? Figured it was worth asking.

Thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Active Member

City, State:
    Truckeee
    2004, 4wd, 4.6l
    Assume that you have the AWD Mercury. Have you ever changed the t-case fluid before. Quite easy to do. Would defiantly do that before swapping out a new t-case.

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Try changing the fluid first if you haven't yet. I went through that last year with my 98 AWD. It was dark fluid for two years from buying it, and then I began to feel binding while turning the wheel sharp.

If you have serious binding now, be cautious how much more you drive it before fixing it. Mine ate the front differential, right before I was sure the issue was the viscous clutch. I had a spare front diff, but most people don't, and rebuilding a diff, and a transfer case is not fun. I've got the parts to repair mine now, when I get time to dig into it.

If you have serious binding now, I'd pull the front drive shaft, to save the front diff. My 98 as people know will roll while in park, slowly yes, but slowly creeping is still not good. I use the parking brake often now.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    No fluid will fix a binding viscous coupling. They have a silicon fluid that’s sealed internal to the coupling itself, and can’t be serviced or replaced.

• Useful Useful x 1

We Support Our Troops!