VSS & Overhead Temp & Direction Display | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

VSS & Overhead Temp & Direction Display

Radioace318

Reaction score
City, State
Shreveport Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Exp XLT 5.0 2WD
I did a search on this subject and had no hits so I would like to ask anyone for some information.
A little back ground here.
New to me 99 xlt 5.0 auto 2wd. 105k miles.
ABS light on all time. Replaced VSS & both front wheel sensors. Continue to pulls code P0500 twice each time.

A guy at the auto parts store told me the cluster module or connectors "could" be my problem. My cluster module? He said it is possible to have all sort of freaky things going on. And I do.

A sharp, slow speed turn to the right will cause my engine temp gauge to peg and the check gauges light will come on UNTIL I complete the turn and all returns to normal (except the abs light)

Well,he also told me the VSS and the outside air temp reading are related. What? Why? This made sense to me for when I try to dim the cluster lights at night the temp/direction display will pulsate. bright dim dim bright dim and the engine temp gauge will move wildly. Strange..

I'm pulling NO OBD errors (except P0500) even after the cluster goes nuts.

Advance Auto connected a scanner that WILL read ABS codes. Has always returned a "No Response From ABS Module"

Even bought a new ABS module. Same Freaking Thing! Checked ALL the connectors and all look good. ohm'ed out various wiring and checked continuity.

What am I overlooking? I'm doing my best to avoid the expense of a dealership computer connection. Around here is a $100 bill just to tell me how much it will cost to fix it. Just tell me what is wrong and I will fix it. :)

Any idea's at all guys?
Thanks Much
Rick

Back