VSS question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4 and the speedo works for about 5-10 mins of driving then bounces a lot and then completely stops. The odometer doesn't work at all. So I was wondering if someone could guide me on how to replace this myself. Pics, explanations, location of this thing. Will I lose fluid with what ever part it's in?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When mine went, it didn't work at all...Here's a pic of one and a video, if it's a 4wd then it's mounted on the transfercase, 2wd I imagine on the tail end of the tranny, you shouldn't loose any fluid changing the part out...Also you'll have to reuse the plastic gear on it, there's a clip that holds it on...

R10tFSr.jpg

When mine went, it didn't work at all...Here's a pic of one and a video, if it's a 4wd then it's mounted on the transfercase, 2wd I imagine on the tail end of the tranny, you shouldn't loose any fluid changing the part out...Also you'll have to reuse the plastic gear on it, there's a clip that holds it on...

R10tFSr.jpg

Thank you! I will most likely be changing it this week by myself. I just needed to know the location of it and if I'll be leaking any fluids because I'd wanna be prepared if I did. I hope the gear on the end I have to switch onto the new one is easy slide off and back on.

Poker4me007, Also if I may ask, do you possibly know what this could fix? I mean hopefully the speedometer but do you think it'll fix the odometer?

Odometer is the usually the worm gear. Replacing it involves removing most of the dash and pulling out the gauges then replacing the plastic worm gear. There should be previous threads with pictures as I recall.

Poker4me007, Also if I may ask, do you possibly know what this could fix? I mean hopefully the speedometer but do you think it'll fix the odometer?

When my speed sensor broke, my speedometer and odometer stopped working...I would think your's is the same...
If it doesn't work after you replace it, then you probably have some other issues...

Back