Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Want to relocate your gas tank?

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by WickedWindsor, July 13, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. damarble

damarble Active Member

City, State:
      Washington
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      01 Sport Trac 5.0L manual
      I went ahead and ordered one, but I'll be cutting the floor and raising it instead of a body lift.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. inh

inh Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Springfield(ish), MO
      '00 XLS
      I want to see about making a custom tank, or having one made. I think there is plenty of room for a 20 gallon gas tank and one of those 2.5 gallon air tanks based on some rough measurements :)

4. wood1

wood1 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      North of Edmonton
      '93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP
      And, the part you see under the 'stang is a plastic (ABS?) rock guard for the tank. The tail pipes are quite close from factory. In an unrelated story I loaned my car to a buddy once and he backed into something and bent the passenger side tailpipe (my excuse for getting new 2 1/2 stainless ones) up against the plastic. This resulted in a melted guard and a melted plastic fuel line which proceeded to spray a fine mist of gasoline at the bottom of my prized possession. Fortunately I happened to notice the leak and disaster was averted...

Hmmm, kind of rambled on there, not sure what all this has to do with the thread now.

Excellent thread too, I had considered doing something like this eventually when the mod monkey really takes over my mind. Your thread is bookmarked in my list.

5. WickedWindsor

WickedWindsor Active Member

City, State:
      Ontario, Canada
      351 powered, 1991 XLT 4x4
      Update

Thought I'd let everyone know after a year and a half how this mod has been.

I've been offroad on the hottest of days, in traffic, back and forth to work and haven't blown up or rattled the tank loose.

I had my emissions test with no ill effects. I've gained massive room under the frame for clearance over obstacles I hit before.

I have noticed however that a few small rust spots were forming on the tank bottom. I tried to clean them up and painted the bottom of the tank for now.

Whole reason for doing this was to make room for possible 4 link rear someday but I like how things are currently and besides, rust is winning the battle on my rig. I need to put a stop to sinking money into this thing and enjoy it as it is for a while.

6. Demo1986

Demo1986 Active Member

City, State:
      Cypress, ca
      2002 S/T
      Great write up! I'll be doing this in my ST to gain clearance and to transference weight to the rear. Thx for the write up

7. fla_ex35

fla_ex35 New Member

City, State:
      hudson,fl
      92 explorer sport
      I used a b2 tank. But mine has a solid steel skid.plate. i didnt cut.the xmemeber out my shocks r on the outside.of.my frame though... Like the shock mount looks good..

8. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      looking for an answer to the question about rick trying the tank and it not fitting.

Looks like a awesome option to run a second tank and I'm prepping my first tank to accept fuel from another.

I don't have a body lift but if the tank doesn't hang down as low as a 33" spare then I should be fine since I plan for more lift almost immediately and might run a skid plate

Last edited: March 2, 2018
    9. damarble

damarble Active Member

City, State:
      Washington
      01 Sport Trac 5.0L manual
      I never ended up installing the tank but now i want to put it in my sport trac to free up room for a 4 link. The fuel pump assembly will take some modification, mine bolts down instead of the locking ring.

• Like Like x 1
    10. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      I might be getting a tank this weekend then I can actually see where things will fit and not fit. Shocks might need to be pushed forward and tank modified to clear the rear leaf shackles but I’ll find that out soon

• Like Like x 1
    11. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Interesting guys. I'm getting closer to trying to stick my old 93 tank into my 98(it's shorter and will make room for the BW4406).

• Like Like x 1
    12. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      Picked up a rear tank out of a 90s F350, definitely going to have to move my cross members higher, cut some things out and shocks forward

• Like Like x 1