1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Water in motor, not hydrolocked... how worried should I be?

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Hokie, December 11, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '98 TJ Sport
      fixed

Last edited: April 4, 2006
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. dman726749

dman726749 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Greenwood Indiana
      96 xlt
      sounds like you got everything covered.....just an oil change in the next couple days, but you mentoned that

4. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      Actually, here's a pic of the hole that claimed me... Its a little deeper b/c this pic is a year old... I went through a little slower in this pic than I did today

[​IMG]

I really didn't thinking nothing of it b/c here are a few shots from the same trail that we made it through last year with no damage... (and my buddy sunk his '01 Sport)

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

5. dman726749

City, State:
      Greenwood Indiana
      96 xlt
      Nice :cool:

6. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      LoL, wasn't going for props, just trying to give an idea of what I went through today... trying to figure out if i should worry about possible permanent damage that won't show up till later down the road

7. dman726749

City, State:
      Greenwood Indiana
      96 xlt
      talk to sk1er...he seems to be the hydro locking king haha

8. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      Check the oil.... NOW.... to see if it looks at all milky... I'd swap out that oil ASAP just to be extra safe,do that and you shoud be fine.You did everything right on site.

9. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      Oh I know... as i was tearing things apart today that went through my head

2 hyrdolocks he had to spend $2k on a Jasper SOHC :eek:

Oil's coming out tomorrow or monday (its finals week so I may have a shop do it for a $15 college special ~ i don't need to drive the truck tomorrow so its just sitting now)

I'm trying to find peace of mind b/c I need this truck for my 35 mile daily commute to my co-op in the spring which is 500 miles from home and 375 miles from school

thanks

10. sk1er17

sk1er17 My "Jeep Thing" itches...

City, State:
      NJ
      '98 Sport
      wow im famous :D

you should be fine. both times i hydrolocked my truck it wouldnt start up afterwards. I had to pull the plugs and shoot the water out of the cylinders.

To be safe- change the oil again after 500-1000 miles.. any left over moisture will make its way down there. I also used a lot of throttle body cleaner for the intake- the water that killed mine left a nasty residue. And finally, some fuel system cleaner couldnt hurt- for the valves and stuff.

And to set the record straight- it was two bad hydrolockings and both times after getting the water out of the engine/the above stuff/new plugs my truck ran great.

something to worry about down the road? well i was going 40mph down a street under "normal driving conditions" when the piston rod finally gave out and slammed 3 holes in the side of my engine. however both times i hydrolocked my engine went from 3000+ to 0 RPMs in an instant... that compressive stress probably exceeded the yeild point of the rod, well not "probably"- it did :banghead:

11. sk1er17

sk1er17 My "Jeep Thing" itches...

City, State:
      NJ
      '98 Sport
      oh yea, forgot 3 things:

1) the jasper engine was $3K and its going back because of a rod knock (5000 miles :rolleyes: )

2) build a snorkel ;)

3) welcome to the club! :chug:

12. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      Yeah, still not sure if i actually hydrolocked it in the sense that the motor could not run b/c I was trying to compress water. I'm thinking there was moisture in the engine, but not much water seeing how the intake only got wet and didn't take a swim...

13. JDraper

JDraper Somewhat Functional Moderator Emeritus

Media:
      City, State:
      McVeytown, PA
      '18 XLT
      Sounds just like what Doug did at Paragon. Went into a hole and the engine died. We pulled the filter and it was soaked. Turned the motor over by hand...no problems. Fired it up and it blew white smoke for a couple of minutes and then it was fine. You should be ok..just take the advice on fluid changing and cleaning that's mentioned above.

14. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      Thanks guys, this is helping me settle down some. I've been staring at this freakin' computer all night trying to study for finals but my mind just keeps going through all the bad things that could've happened today or may happen later down the road. I'm going to ask my Internal Combustion Engine prof his opinion.

Here's what i'm thinking for things to run through it:

Oil change x 2 or 3
      Fuel system cleaner
      Fuel dryer (or whatever you put when you think there is water in your gas tank)
      Remove throttle body and give a good cleaning
      Maybe spray intake and manifold with carb cleaner?
      Seafoam?

Should I run an oil stabilizer? What exactly do they do? (ie: would they be applicable to this situation?)

Oh yeah, and the ends of my extended breathers were all dry, so atleast I know those are safe (I ran them all under the drip rail/cowl as high up on the fire wall as possible)

15. Glacier991

Glacier991 EF Tranny Guru Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Sacramento, CA 95827
      1992 XLT
      forget an oil stablizer.. but.. check that oil for milky appearance NOW! If i looks ok, do your changes when you feel like it, if here is ANY milkiness in the oil, or it somehow isn'tlike you are usd to seeing it... do NOT drive it until you change it! Otherwise, you did a commendable job at the site....I think you are ok.

16. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      Advanced Auto is a 3 minute walk from here so I'll pick up 5 qts and a drip pan tomorrow and I'll change the oil regardless of condition tomorrow. I've gotta drive the truck back to Charlottesville, VA (160 miles) on thursday after i finish finals so that should be a good test of everything. I'll check the oil condition when I get home.

Would there be any advantage to changing plugs? These have 30k on them and appeared to be ok (a nice dark tan color with minimal black build up)

I know I'm probably sounding crazy now, I just want to cover EVERY base here

In just a few days this truck is supposed to take me to Atlanta >> New Orleans >> Atlanta >> Charleston, SC :eek:

I think my muddin' days may be over... I was flirting with the idea of pulling the lift and 32's off before I go back to charleston (atleast for the spring)

17. Stuman78424

Stuman78424 Member

City, State:
      Wetumpka, Alabama
      98 Explorer Sport
      I had the same thing happen to me about 3 months ago, made it through a huge mud/water hole and then it died.....i removed the air filter and intake hose, the filter was soaked and there was a little water in the throttle body. I could crank it, but it would idle rough for a few seconds and then die. i dried everything up and tried it with everything except the air filter and it would still idle rough and then die, then i made the quick run to auto zone for some tamper-proof torx(best $15 i ever spent(twice)) and i cleaned the MAS(with pond water, haha it was better than muddy water) and most all was well. when i got it home i put a new air filter in and cleaned the MAS with carb cleaner and it runs fine.....10k miles later!

18. Hokie

Hokie Hokius Maximus

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      '98 TJ Sport
      Well, so far the truck seems to be running fine... Just finished up the Blacksburg >> Charlottesville >> Atlanta >> Charleston road trip today (didn't have to drive it to New Orleans) and all systems seem ok.

My thoughts are now, maybe see how long I can run the motor without problems, but maybe this will be the justification i need to buy a wrecked '01+ Ranger and pull the 4.0 SOHC and 5 spd manual trans out of it :D

19. ExplorerSportNu

ExplorerSportNu Well-Known Member

City, State:
      St.Louis - MO
      95 Sport/ExpeditionPkg
      :eek: Easy now, don't go making any rash decisions right away, give it time, thats a drastic step your talking about there, I think your truck looks good now, take away that lift and those tires and she'll be naked and not to mention a stocker like the other half a million stockers running around here :D Not thats theres anything wrong with that offcourse