Water Leak | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Before you trek to the dealer

Anyone going to the dealer for 3rd row leak:
before you go, run the car thru the car wash.

If the dealer cant make it leak, they wont try to find it or fix it, they will just hand it back to you-especially if they're busy and already want to let it sit for 2 days before you can pick it up.
They wont do sh*t if it doesnt appear to be leaking.

If it leaks, even a few drips, from the car wash, then the dealer can likely make it leak with a hose on the area of the car that leaks, generally for many its the 3rd row drivers side seat belt, 3rd row passenger side, or rear hatch area.

-ask if they have an experience water tech or know of any.

-a recent post in this thread mentioned jacking it up from the rear so water would move around the hatch seal & water channel to begin the leak.

If its a leak from the sealant areas, flexing while driving will cause the seal around the rear hatch, roof rails and rear windows to flex enough for water to leak between the sealant goop around joints,
-when the car is sitting still these areas look flat and sealed up tight,
but they may not be when driving.

If you cannot make it leak in the car wash but it always leaks when raining and driving, then likely thats the only way the dealer will see it too,
if its standing still it may not leak, or leak noticably enough.

Its going to be a huge waste of time and multiple trips-the dealers have many warranty Ex's in now and will continue to have them. They wont take any time to find your leak unless they know of it.
Many dealership shops dismiss everything and fight back tooth and nail on whatever you mention if its warranty service.

Print out some of this post and show them where you think its leaking.

See my pics further down this post of the dripping starting to be seen at the 3rd row drivers side speaker.The water drips out of the bottom of that speaker in mine. If they can get any info from you like that it may get found & worked on faster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone going to the dealer for 3rd row leak:
before you go, run the car thru the car wash.

If the dealer cant make it leak, they wont try to find it or fix it, they will just hand it back to you-especially if they're busy and already want to let it sit for 2 days before you can pick it up.
They wont do sh*t if it doesnt appear to be leaking.

If it leaks, even a few drips, from the car wash, then the dealer can likely make it leak with a hose on the area of the car that leaks, generally for many its the 3rd row drivers side seat belt, 3rd row passenger side, or rear hatch area.

-ask if they have an experience water tech or know of any.

-a recent post in this thread mentioned jacking it up from the rear so water would move around the hatch seal & water channel to begin the leak.

If its a leak from the sealant areas, flexing while driving will cause the seal around the rear hatch, roof rails and rear windows to flex enough for water to leak between the sealant goop around joints,
-when the car is sitting still these areas look flat and sealed up tight,
but they may not be when driving.

If you cannot make it leak in the car wash but it always leaks when raining and driving, then likely thats the only way the dealer will see it too,
if its standing still it may not leak, or leak noticably enough.

Its going to be a huge waste of time and multiple trips-the dealers have many warranty Ex's in now and will continue to have them. They wont take any time to find your leak unless they know of it.
Many dealership shops dismiss everything and fight back tooth and nail on whatever you mention if its warranty service.

Print out some of this post and show them where you think its leaking.

See my pics further down this post of the dripping starting to be seen at the 3rd row drivers side speaker.The water drips out of the bottom of that speaker in mine. If they can get any info from you like that it may get found & worked on faster.

What I did was take my Ex to the dealer in a driving rainstorm. They didn't even ask to see it. They believed me and it was an easy fix of the third row roof rack seal (leak of the sheet metal seam is rarer and tougher to fix for the third row leak).

That being said, if your dealer is a nudge, take it to them in a rainstorm when it is leaking and show them directly.

Leak update. Two days ago while it was raining checked left rear interior and sure enough leaking at seatbelts and from most rear upper speaker. Just got back from dealer today and had leak Dr. come in and remove left roof rack and reseal attach point holes with silicone. Hoping this is the fix. Will keep posted. Leak was definately coming from right below where the rack attach points are located. I was amazed how much water was coming in and just strange how just showing up now after almost a year snd a half. I know it was not leaking previously as I am all over this car cleaning and detailing.

Leak update. Two days ago while it was raining checked left rear interior and sure enough leaking at seatbelts and from most rear upper speaker. Just got back from dealer today and had leak Dr. come in and remove left roof rack and reseal attach point holes with silicone. Hoping this is the fix. Will keep posted. Leak was definately coming from right below where the rack attach points are located. I was amazed how much water was coming in and just strange how just showing up now after almost a year snd a half. I know it was not leaking previously as I am all over this car cleaning and detailing.

That's what fixed my leak in 30 minutes or so. Hopefully that will do it for you. My dealership's leak guy said he could even see where the OEM sealant was not properly applied.

That's what fixed my leak in 30 minutes or so. Hopefully that will do it for you. My dealership's leak guy said he could even see where the OEM sealant was not properly applied.

As I've posted in here before, this is also where mine was leaking. The water actually was coming in at a point on the passenger side and traveled along a channel to the drivers side where it dripped in.

Just wanted to chime in this useful topic. I found a gallon of water in the spare wheel well. Didn't have any wet seat belts. Only wet carpet in the cargo area. Took it into dealer in Schaumburg, IL. They said it was a bad grommit in the upper left of the rear hatch. They'll be replacing the carpet as well. I asked them to check the roof rack. Not sure if they did or not. Took a hose to the roof and didn't find any wet areas. Hope that fixed it.

Edit - I have a 2014 Explorer XLT? It's a fleet vehicle, stripped down on options. I did a hose test on my driveway for 5min and didn't find any more leaks aftewards. Hope that fixed it.

Welcome to the Forum edku822:wavey:
If you were a fisherman you keep your live bait back there.:D
All kidding aside, I'm glad they were able to diagnose the problem and let's hope that's all it was.
It would also be helpful if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile so it shows up in the margin. Some issues appear to be more common to certain models although the water leak seems to have affected every model since 2011. Still waiting for the first 2015 to post this issue.
Happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

They seam to have the leak fixed. But have I have had it back to dealer three times about the rattle. This started the day they fixed the leak. Just about ready to put it in their show room. They again say they have to order parts. Other dealer said it is dealer induced and not a ford problem !!!!!

They seam to have the leak fixed. But have I have had it back to dealer three times about the rattle. This started the day they fixed the leak. Just about ready to put it in their show room. They again say they have to order parts. Other dealer said it is dealer induced and not a ford problem !!!!!

Maybe they removed the roof rails to fix, and didnt tighten the end cap assembly enough when they put them back on.
While driving the rattle is on left or right side?

Are the parts on order, thunderroad357? When will you be heading in to have this repaired?

Crystal

They have the parts. I got a bill for 260.00 for the parts !!!! Service department can not get to the repair on till wed. They left the trim lose, carpet hanging and grease monkey broke the trim panel. Per the service writer he did not report breaking it but they said he had to do it removing the panel. I would just like to find one ford dealer in Louisville I could depend on. Town and Country on this mess. Byerly for broke the windshield on my crown replacing a module. Then the company they had replace the windshield left a screwdriver in his pocket that ripped up the leather seats. Bill Collins did an oil change on ranger and oil plug fell out 5 miles from dealer !!
I have a mustang and 450 that I am afraid to to back to any Ford dealership to let them screw up.....I now see way so many people drive imports. I am a firefighter and E.M.T. we Do not get a second chance to make it right. Wish dealer would hire some real mechanic's and not these half $$$ grease monkeys. What happened to taking pride it your work. O we shipped that over seas also.

This water leak showed up in my 2011 ex with 49,000 miles last week. Has anyone gotten this taken care of with any help from ford when their car was out of warranty? I called the customer service center today and they were very nice but pretty much told me that I'm out of warranty and leaks are not covered under the powertrain warranty. After reading some of the posts on this site, this repair seems to be a long and costly one. I have a video of the leak but my real issue is the warranty coverage. I wish ford would do something like they did with SYNC for this issue. I know multiple people who have had this leak in their explorers [the were all under the bumper to bumper warranty though :( )

This water leak showed up in my 2011 ex with 49,000 miles last week. Has anyone gotten this taken care of with any help from ford when their car was out of warranty? I called the customer service center today and they were very nice but pretty much told me that I'm out of warranty and leaks are not covered under the powertrain warranty. After reading some of the posts on this site, this repair seems to be a long and costly one. I have a video of the leak but my real issue is the warranty coverage. I wish ford would do something like they did with SYNC for this issue. I know multiple people who have had this leak in their explorers [the were all under the bumper to bumper warranty though :( )

I can look into ways to help once you've had this diagnosed at your dealership, foxtemple. Let me know when you're heading in and I'll research options to assist.

Crystal

I can look into ways to help once you've had this diagnosed at your dealership, foxtemple. Let me know when you're heading in and I'll research options to assist.

Crystal

Hi Crystal,

Thank you very much for the reply. I actually already spoke to my dealership about this issue. They told me that they have seen this issue many times before and what they do is call somebody called the "rain doctor". They also told me to contact the customer relations department at ford first to see if maybe they could help me out with the warranty issue.

Hi Crystal,

Thank you very much for the reply. I actually already spoke to my dealership about this issue. They told me that they have seen this issue many times before and what they do is call somebody called the "rain doctor". They also told me to contact the customer relations department at ford first to see if maybe they could help me out with the warranty issue.

Are you going to proceed with the repair, foxtemple? If you are, PM me your information and I'll see what I can do from my neck of the woods. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Crystal

Had the Explorer back to town and country ford in Louisville, Kentucky today. I left it for them to complete the work on it from the water leak. This was a low speed rattle, 3 rd row ppanels loose and carpet hanging loose. I drop it off at 0800 and was told they would call when it was done. I called them at 1700 as they close at 1800 to see if it was done. They said yes it is and to come get it. This is the fourth trip to get this list fixed. When I checked the Explorer the cargo are side wall have foot prints on them and scoffed. The trim is still loosely put up and the carpet is still hanging. I gave the the key back and told them to fix it right !!!! I contacted ford customer care and was again told it is a Dealer induced problem !!! What do I need to do to get repaired ???? Your water leak their piss poor work and now I have 2013 that is in the shop for the 9 th time over all.

Do you have another dealer in your area. If so, and it was my vehicle, I wouldn't hesitate to go and see them. Show them what has been done and see if there is anything they are willing to do if you take your business to them from now on.

Peter

Crystal
Get a Lemon Law Atty. that is ridiculous.
Had the Explorer back to town and country ford in Louisville, Kentucky today. I left it for them to complete the work on it from the water leak. This was a low speed rattle, 3 rd row ppanels loose and carpet hanging loose. I drop it off at 0800 and was told they would call when it was done. I called them at 1700 as they close at 1800 to see if it was done. They said yes it is and to come get it. This is the fourth trip to get this list fixed. When I checked the Explorer the cargo are side wall have foot prints on them and scoffed. The trim is still loosely put up and the carpet is still hanging. I gave the the key back and told them to fix it right !!!! I contacted ford customer care and was again told it is a Dealer induced problem !!! What do I need to do to get repaired ???? Your water leak their piss poor work and now I have 2013 that is in the shop for the 9 th time over all. E mail is raybarnes@twc.com

Two other dealers will not touch it. When they look at it they say it was dealer induced and they aren't going to get stuck with the mess. Filed complaint with BBB also may have to file criminal damage charges against the half $$$ grease monkey and dealer. Ford is done with this issue as it is dealer induced.
Always been a union man and bought American. Won't drive G.M. and can't get my ford fixed. I guess a Lexus may be my next choice !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crystal

Had the Explorer back to town and country ford in Louisville, Kentucky today. I left it for them to complete the work on it from the water leak. This was a low speed rattle, 3 rd row ppanels loose and carpet hanging loose. I drop it off at 0800 and was told they would call when it was done. I called them at 1700 as they close at 1800 to see if it was done. They said yes it is and to come get it. This is the fourth trip to get this list fixed. When I checked the Explorer the cargo are side wall have foot prints on them and scoffed. The trim is still loosely put up and the carpet is still hanging. I gave the the key back and told them to fix it right !!!! I contacted ford customer care and was again told it is a Dealer induced problem !!!...

Hi thunderroad357,

Have you contacted the general manager of the dealership? I'm certain they'd appreciate the opportunity to make this right. I'd also recommend editing your prior post to remove your personal information.

Crystal

Back