Water Leak | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thank you peterk9! I have contacted Crystal and she has helped to point me in the right direction, but the other Reps have pretty much told me they couldn't assist me at this time. I was informed that if the case escalated enough then Ford may decide to issue a recall in the future on this problem. I originally stumbled across this forum looking for a solution to fix my water leak, and was amazed at the number of people who have had the same misfortune as I have, although I can't seem to understand why FordService hasn't taken all these complaints into consideration to try and find a resolution to satisfy their customers needs. I do enjoy my Explorer...it is a nice ride, but there should be no reason whatsoever for a malfunction like this to occur on such an expensive vehicle and it not be corrected by the dealer. If I knew my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd post a For Sale sign on it today and be done with Ford for good!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many of the posters here found the site the same way as you did. The only stats that Ford seems to accumulate is from the dealers. I believe it may be connected to the work orders the dealers raise. FordService reps here are mainly a 'go between' the customer and the Ford regional service managers. They don't deal with anyone else at Ford or the dealership.

Peter

leaking 2014 explorer

Any new updates on your Explorer, zac0490? Let me know how things are progressing; feel free to contact me via PM if you need any help. :)

Crystal

Hello,

I am having the leaking problem as well, drips from rear drivers side speaker, not coming down seatbelt yet. also water pools down through wheel well then collects in spare well. Has anybody fixed this. I can't believe it's not a recall, or lawsuit with 25 pages of seam leaks. Now I've got a moldy, wet new car, seatbelts and speakers shorting out. yikes help.

Hello TMG, the dealership told me basically that the sealant on the body seam weld failed. They didn't say anything at all about the roof rack. I think my water was coming into the cabin mainly where the soft headliner meets and kind of tucks up under the hard plastic interior trim piece below it. The corner of the headliner was very damp right there, and most of the water was dripping down onto the speaker enclosure. I don't recall seeing it drip in on the seat belt.

I'm just glad that my dealership took this very seriously and seems committed to fix it on the first try. They clearly know what they're doing. When they do cool stuff that I wouldn't have thought of (the soapy water and air gun), that makes me feel good about the people working on my vehicle. Sure, everybody has training, but not everybody cares enough or has enough creativity to come up with techniques like that.

Crystal, I will send you a PM.

Help, Dudefish, crystal anyone. I have a 2014 that the warranty is expired. I am in the military and about to deploy and had the guys take a look at downtown Birmingham. They gave me the card of the waterguy, leak fix guy, handles all of these "ex" leak problems. Mine is doing EXACTLY what yours is, even dripping from speaker and into spare wheel well, even light rain so I'm guessing seam leak must be pretty big. Since my warranty is up, can you please tell me what this might cost. I am pretty depressed, always try to buy American cars, and ask other to do the same to help American workers, but this is a real tough pill to swallow. Any help at all would greatly be appreciated. I don't want to leave my wife here with kids with potential faulty wet wires and moldy interior. :salute:

Welcome to the Forum chadgkahl.:wavey:
So it seems you have already put on over 36k miles on a 2014 Ex. That's impressive.
If you want to get Crystal involved, see post 723 for the info.
Good luck.

Peter

Chad: I would first try the dealer that sold you the car and see if they can do anything for you under the "dealer goodwill" program. If not, walk away and take it to Long Lewis in Hoover. They've fixed my car and know what it takes. They probably will use a 3rd party company called Leak Pro but see if they can get the same guy that fixed my car. That should save you some time, trial and error, and money. On a 2014 car Ford really should set up to the plate and fix every one of these cars! Salutes and thanks to you for your service. Be safe.

Also. After the car is fixed, be sure to take everything out of the spare tire well and let it dry out real good. The sound deadening mat in mine is still damp after several weeks.

Hello,

I am having the leaking problem as well, drips from rear drivers side speaker, not coming down seatbelt yet. also water pools down through wheel well then collects in spare well. Has anybody fixed this. I can't believe it's not a recall, or lawsuit with 25 pages of seam leaks. Now I've got a moldy, wet new car, seatbelts and speakers shorting out. yikes help.

Welcome to the site, chadgkahl. Send me a private message (PM) with your details so I can look into ways to assist. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Part 2 water leak, I found where the water is coming in from!

Keep in mind there could of been multiple leaks *I do not think so* but after two visit to the dealership and them saying they found it, the issue was not resolved. I was fed up with this leak and had to investigate myself. All I had to do was spray the hose at specific spots while my wife watched from the inside. I was able to pin point the spot in a matter of minutes.

My 2011 started leaking 2 weeks ago. The day after a hard rain I noticed moisture on the interior of the windows. A short search found water in the spare tire well, between the carpet and the frame under the third row seats and in the third row cup holder. I immediately turned to this forum and found this thread. I ran a hose along the rear gate and roof rails for a couple of minutes and water started coming from the drivers side third row seat belt. After reading every post in this thread, I decided to trade my explorer on another vehicle. My current mileage is 49500 so there is no warranty. I don't want to risk the expense of , what could be several service visits, in addition to what may show up on a Carfax report killing my resale value. It's unfortunate that Ford has not issued a recall for this problem. I'd planned on having this vehicle for at least another 2 years and really enjoyed it otherwise. It was traded this past weekend. Good luck to the rest of you.

Good videos Imprezala, thanks.

Thanks for taking the time to post!!!! I will looking in all those areas before I buy my 13 or 14 Ex.

New Water Leak

Just bought a 2011 CPO Explorer from a local dealer and the is water in the spare tire wheel well, about 1/4 inch high. Is this the same issue with everyone else? It is currently in the service department for a rattle behind the dash and the driver's side heat and defrost not working. I just got the truck 1 week ago! Has anyone else had the other issues?

Just bought a 2011 CPO Explorer from a local dealer and the is water in the spare tire wheel well, about 1/4 inch high. Is this the same issue with everyone else? It is currently in the service department for a rattle behind the dash and the driver's side heat and defrost not working. I just got the truck 1 week ago! Has anyone else had the other issues?

Yes, that's where the water runs and collects. If you feel the sound deadening material on the floor surrounding the spare tire well, you'll probably find that it's also soaked.

Good videos Imprezala, thanks.

Thank you I was really frustrated and finally ripped the car apart lol
I had to share my findings and will support others who need it from now on. I am no a mechanic or "ford technician" my day job is telecommunications technician. Whenever I go to a install or a repair I properly troubleshoot and will not leave until it is fixed. It sucks that not everyone shares the same passion for their work. This issue is a prime example of them not caring at all. Just get the car out of the door.
You can save money now dealership but your L2R will be poor *likelyhood to recommend*

I feel like I can fix all explorer leaks now haha
All I did was put some sealant up there and no more leak.
No need to freak out people it sucks that Ford did not recall this but the fix was easy. I am sure the sealant will last for along time its not an area exposed to the sun.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum, austin160. Is your dealer addressing the water issue as well? How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Welcome to the Forum austin160. Seems like the dealer do a very thorough inspection of the vehicle before putting it up for sale. The water leak can be a difficult repair since it isn't always easy to pin point the place where the water gains access. Also, putting a hose on the vehicle doesn't always show you the access point either as several members have discovered.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2012 Ford Explorer. I've noticed water drops in the rear trunk area of my explorer after heavy rains and/or after car washes. My truck smells skunky after sitting in the heat all day. What is causing seals to fail on a relatively new vehicle? I'm bringing vehicle into dealer tomorrow to diagnose where the water is getting in on my vehicle but this is disheartening.

Back