Water Leak | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi Nick. I don't know where they drain but it shouldn't be inside the vehicle. One member took his in to get checked out and found that one of the front drains was never installed.

Peter
Fair enough. I hope that isn't the case for me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been having the same water leak as described for over a year and no dealership has been able to replicate it. I bought my 2013 Limited Certified Preowned with just over 34K miles. I have ESP for 115K and am currently at 110K. Two weeks ago, I took it to another dealership and was given the same story. This time they told me to escalate it with Ford, which I did, and was given a case number. Come to find out, as mentioned above, it is only covered under the factory 36K mile warranty!! This is a joke. Not only is my car STILL not roadworthy during rainy days but, both Ford and the dealership are refusing the additional rental charges incurred while they were evaluating the leak to the tune of $405 in rental fees. Ford's customer service reps have conflicting solutions. I was told by the first that the escalation of my case would "give the dealership all the tools at their disposal". Every one else since has told me right out of the gate that it won't be covered and are refusing to accept partial blame for my car sitting at the dealership for an extra week and now having to pay for it. Worst purchase EVER. I've only owned Fords for the bast 12 years and have never had this much trouble. Ford needs to stand behind there product and issue a recall for this. How do
I reach out to a Ford Customer Service Manager?

I have been having the same water leak as described for over a year and no dealership has been able to replicate it. I bought my 2013 Limited Certified Preowned with just over 34K miles. I have ESP for 115K and am currently at 110K. Two weeks ago, I took it to another dealership and was given the same story. This time they told me to escalate it with Ford, which I did, and was given a case number. Come to find out, as mentioned above, it is only covered under the factory 36K mile warranty!! This is a joke. Not only is my car STILL not roadworthy during rainy days but, both Ford and the dealership are refusing the additional rental charges incurred while they were evaluating the leak to the tune of $405 in rental fees. Ford's customer service reps have conflicting solutions. I was told by the first that the escalation of my case would "give the dealership all the tools at their disposal". Every one else since has told me right out of the gate that it won't be covered and are refusing to accept partial blame for my car sitting at the dealership for an extra week and now having to pay for it. Worst purchase EVER. I've only owned Fords for the bast 12 years and have never had this much trouble. Ford needs to stand behind there product and issue a recall for this. How do
I reach out to a Ford Customer Service Manager?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
They are correct in saying that leaks are only covered under original factory warranty. Here is a partial excerpt from the Ford ESP about items not covered;
Generally Covered by Your Auto Insurance –
Examples include: fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, glass, moldings,
ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework,
side and rear view mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise,
weather strips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers, convertible top and bow.

You can not contact a Customer Service Manager (CSM) through this Forum, only one of the FordService reps who then can escalate to the regional CSM. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
Good luck.

Peter

I recently purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited. There has been a "musty" smell to the car. Tonight, we found standing water in the spare tire well. I am not the original owner. Is there anything Ford will do to fix??

Thank you in advance!

Just an update, they were able to find the problem location as the drivers side door harness. Water was leaking in as it traveled down the front inside panel, as the water traveled down it was draining into a poorly attached drivers harness. Ford was able to approve new rugs throughout the vehicle. Don't have the vehicle back yet but the total time from start to estimated finish is just under 3 weeks. Was provided a rental at no charge. I hope this may help other people. Good luck for those of you still trying to find the location!

I recently purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited. There has been a "musty" smell to the car. Tonight, we found standing water in the spare tire well. I am not the original owner. Is there anything Ford will do to fix??

Thank you in advance!
I doubt that you will have any luck getting assistance unless you are still under the factory warranty. Was it a ford Certified Ore-Owned Explorer? The dealer should have caught the problem in any case just to check that the spare was there as well as the jack etc. Check with the dealer to see what if anything they will do for you. If not satisfied you can always try contacting the FordService reps here to see if there is anything they can do to assist you. You can se this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
Good luck.

Peter

My 2013 XLT has ALL the leaks. I'm the original owner, bought it brand new. It leaks from the overhead console where the lights are, out of the dash above the emergency brake, out of the 2nd and 3rd row seat belt mount points. The dealership informed me that "leaks" are not covered under my extended warranty, of course this only happened sporadically up until this year. After complaining to the service manager about the non-coverage of the leaks they have it for a few days to take it apart, see what they can find and when they figure it out will put the parts in and if it's not covered will seek "ford assist". There are 42 pages to this thread, how do they get away with not covering leaks?! When this vehicle dies I'll not be purchasing another Ford.
I asked at drop off today if it would be weeks or months before it's repaired, the service guy assured me it would be days, based on the feedback in this forum, I suspect he'll be wrong. In the meantime they provided me a '17 ford edge as a loaner, can't complain about that.....

.........There are 42 pages to this thread, how do they get away with not covering leaks?! When this vehicle dies I'll not be purchasing another Ford....
It is clearly spelled out in the ESP document as noted in my post #1042 above that 'water leaks', among several other items, are not covered. What I posted is only a small part of what isn't covered. If you have a moonroof I suspect that the front leaks may be due to blocked drain tubes. Although many members have had or still have this issue, 42 pages is not indicative of the number of individual problems because it includes replies like this one.

Peter

It is clearly spelled out in the ESP document as noted in my post #1042 above that 'water leaks', among several other items, are not covered. What I posted is only a small part of what isn't covered. If you have a moonroof I suspect that the front leaks may be due to blocked drain tubes. Although many members have had or still have this issue, 42 pages is not indicative of the number of individual problems because it includes replies like this one.

Peter
I'm aware if how forums run and that not all 42 pages are individual issue listings. It's a large amount of pages for the many people having this issue across 2011-2016 model years.

I'm also aware from this thread that it was stated leaks were not covered in the ext. warranty. So for those who don't want to scroll through to post #1042 I reiterated it.

I'm sure my moonroof drains may be part of the problem as well as the roof rack among other things. Based on what others have posted in this thread for solutions and locations of the leaks.

I'm just hoping that Ford does the right thing to fix my vehicle, especially if it's found to be manufacturing defects. As usual these things didn't show up until after 36k. I guess then I wouldn't have to worry about bucking up for Ford's flaws.

I also have a 2011 explorer that gets water inside, sometimes down the rear seatbelt but if pools in the tire well. What are the general causes roof rack, leak at rear hatch??? Does Ford repair this or is this at our personal cost? Help is appreciated

I also have a 2011 explorer that gets water inside, sometimes down the rear seatbelt but if pools in the tire well. What are the general causes roof rack, leak at rear hatch??? Does Ford repair this or is this at our personal cost? Help is appreciated

Bumper to bumper is 3yr/36k, after that it is customer pay.

The majority is the sealant cracking where the roof rack screws into the roof.

Although this is a rather long and involved thread, all your answers are addressed in it. Good luck.

Peter

I noticed water on the rear cargo mat of my 2013 after rain a couple of weeks ago and because I had read some of this thread previously wasn't surprised to find my wheel well full! At least my problem didn't begin until the 100K mark.
I removed the water and let everything dry our for a couple of days but after steady rain over the last few days find that the cargo mat is wet again. No doubt the spare tire is immersed as well.
Just one more item on the long list of problems I've had with the poorest built vehicle I have ever had!

I noticed water on the rear cargo mat of my 2013 after rain a couple of weeks ago and because I had read some of this thread previously wasn't surprised to find my wheel well full! At least my problem didn't begin until the 100K mark.
I removed the water and let everything dry our for a couple of days but after steady rain over the last few days find that the cargo mat is wet again. No doubt the spare tire is immersed as well.
Just one more item on the long list of problems I've had with the poorest built vehicle I have ever had!
Sorry to read that you're now having this issue. My 'guess' is a faulty liftgate seam or the more usual roof rail attachment. Lots more rain in the forecast.:(

Peter

Sorry to read that you're now having this issue. My 'guess' is a faulty liftgate seam or the more usual roof rail attachment. Lots more rain in the forecast.:(

Peter

The liftgate seam was it in my 2011 and the dealership did the majority of the repair at no cost to me. This was the dealership that sold the car originally. I bought it through their used department and threatened to invoke their 7 day return policy if it was not repaired. The dealership did not replace the pad that the spare rests on or the heavily molded cover for the spare compartment. No leaks in that space since.

I got a, surprise this morning when three drops fell from the driver's visor hook and hit my knee. No indication of water anywhere that I could find, until a few hours later, when it really started raining. Water dropping from the right side of the front map lights. Pulled the assembly down and felt some water towards the passenger visor, so I took it out to the dealer. It seems like all of these are popping up all of a sudden.

I got a, surprise this morning when three drops fell from the driver's visor hook and hit my knee. No indication of water anywhere that I could find, until a few hours later, when it really started raining. Water dropping from the right side of the front map lights. Pulled the assembly down and felt some water towards the passenger visor, so I took it out to the dealer. It seems like all of these are popping up all of a sudden.
If you have the moonroof that might be the problem. Seal?

Peter

Unless he has had a windshield replaced.
Possible, but with everyone having leaks one never knows until it's found. My 2011 just turned 6 years old May 25th. We have never had the leak problem until two days ago. My wife came to me cursing because water was running down the seat belt by the rear hatch on the drivers side during a heavy rain. I found that the large rubber grommet seal near where the hatch hinge is was the culprit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clogged A-pillar drains. I didn't realize that the carpet was wet too. They're pulling the front carpet, drying it out, replacing the jute underneath, of course clearing the drains, all to the tune of $750.

Back