Water Leak | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just remember that experiences are based on one's own vehicle. Not on the issues of others. If I had run into the problems that others have had, my experience would have been different.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Excellent"?...... hardley.....plus trans fluid from ford that breaks down, PTU fluid that needs to be changed every 30k, water leak in the rear, etc etc...... Don't think I'd use the word "excellent" to describe it....

I based my comment on my experience...just like you. The few issues I've had in almost 80k are minimal, with $0 out of pocket for unnecessary repairs.

I don't have a water leak, I changed my PTU fluid at 60k and oil analysis came back very good. Not sure what to say about the trans fluid, all fluid breaks down regardless of brand.

Just remember that experiences are based on one's own vehicle. Not on the issues of others. If I had run into the problems that others have had, my experience would have been different.

Peter

Bingo!
Exactly my point of my previous post.

"Excellent"?...... hardley.....plus trans fluid from ford that breaks down, PTU fluid that needs to be changed every 30k, water leak in the rear, etc etc...... Don't think I'd use the word "excellent" to describe it....

Perhaps it is time for you to move on then.

A blanket statement that they all are a POS is BS. Too many people are having no issue, or minor to quantify that statement.

...........A blanket statement that they all are a POS is BS. Too many people are having no issue, or minor to quantify that statement.

Sorry, I disagree.
Not only based on my experience, but also considering that every time I went to the dealer with all these "not so easy fixable issues" they already knew about them because many others showed up before. And also, for example, i keep seeing a lot EX with corrosion in the hood, the popped up side rails, door gaskets all broken, and I can forget the several plastic noises inside the cabin like the map light, etc. POS box with wheels for the price (Limited Ed). Hope 2020 fixes all these problems.

PS: Dealer expression every time they see an EX coming in is unforgettable.

Sorry, I disagree.
Not only based on my experience, but also considering that every time I went to the dealer with all these "not so easy fixable issues" they already knew about them because many others showed up before. And also, for example, i keep seeing a lot EX with corrosion in the hood, the popped up side rails, door gaskets all broken, and I can forget the several plastic noises inside the cabin like the map light, etc. POS box with wheels for the price (Limited Ed). Hope 2020 fixes all these problems.

PS: Dealer expression every time they see an EX coming in is unforgettable.
100%
I have never owned a vehicle with so many problems that came up so early on!

Perhaps it is time for you to move on then.

A blanket statement that they all are a POS is BS. Too many people are having no issue, or minor to quantify that statement.

Sounds like I'm not the only one that thinks these are POS's ....

Let's get back on topic. You add your like or dislike to post 1165. Members come here to read about a specific issue, not to read about member's feelings about the Explorer. You can always start your own thread on that subject.

Peter

So in a nutshell, they removed the spoiler and replaced some type of gaskets under there. Then the liftgate was fully removed in order to repair all of the cracks in corners and around the hinges. I’m not exactly sure what they used, but it’s some sort of repair material that they said would hold up. They charged me 100 bucks. Not bad. I am praying that all my water issues are fixed. Here are a few pics after the repair.

LEAK IS BACK :( Think I am going to work on it myself this time. Flex seal, JB Weld? This is really a manufacturing defect, but no way Ford will own up to it.

Water on Center Console
I know, not another water leak thread!! I am leaking water from the sunroof switch area onto my center console. 2013 Explorer limited with a sunroof/moon roof. Bought the Ex used several months ago, rained the day after i bought it and found water on the center console and passenger floorboard, also noticed the sunroof would not open. Took it back to privately owned small dealer and he replaced the sunroof motor as it was not working and said leaks were fixed. Fast forward several months and it is still leaking onto the center console from the sunroof switch area. I have checked the sunroof drains and they all drain out the bottom as advertised. What else can i check to find/fix this leak? I also had about 2 gallons of water in the spare tire area I discovered. I drained it and sealed up the "welds" around the back hatch and have not had a problem there since. No warranty and dealer will not do any more work on it as I bought 'as-is'.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked the seal around the moonroof and the roof itself? FYI, a Ford ESP warranty would not have covered leaks anyway. Any way of checking to see if the windshield was ever replaced?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Have you checked the seal around the moonroof and the roof itself? FYI, a Ford ESP warranty would not have covered leaks anyway. Any way of checking to see if the windshield was ever replaced?

Peter
I have looked at the windshield, looks factory, but not sure how I could check to see if it was replaced, seals look good to the eye. Only thing i saw is, on the front of the sliding sunroof it looks like it has a very, very slight bow in it. Sun roof is just slightly lower in the front middle, compared to each side, but if it is leaking there, figured the drains would handle that. I have read of leaks in the roof rack, would this be able to get to where mine is leaking onto the center console?

I don't believe that any reported leaks attributed to the roof rack have resulted in leaks in the front of the vehicle. They appear to result in water running into the rear.
Depending on the severity of the leak, perhaps you can try isolating it by using a hose and letting the water slowly run over the front of the moonroof to see if it results in water running into the interior.

Peter

Looks like that will be the best way to find the leak, just hate the though of getting more water inside. I may try to drop the headliner down some when running water over it to get a better look at where it is coming in at. Already had the sunroof motor replaced one due to water and don't want it to happen again.
I just bought this back in November or December and I am really thinking about selling it and getting something else. It replaced my 2004 EB Expedition that I had for 12 trouble-free years. Only reason I got rid of it was my insurance totaled it after Hurricane Michael.

Thanks for all of the advice, appreciate it

Hey All, 2016 Limited. No sunroof or moonroof. Found the drivers side footwell soaking wet today, we've had some rains in the past couple weeks, but didn't notice before this. Any ideas where the water is coming from for the driver footwell? THis is a long long thread, I didn't read through all 59 pages worth of posts. Search for driver footwell didn't show any obvious hints - most indicated sunroof drains. I don't have a sunroof. Thanks in advance!

Since you don't have a moonroof, that eliminates the drains. The only thing I can suggest is that you turn the hose on the front of the vehicle and windshield and check to see if you find any water dripping into the interior. Possible areas are the windshield seal or the outside grill/cowl along the bottom of the windshield. :dunno:

Peter

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, I'll check - also will check passenger footwell. What's odd that didn't occur to me is that it's under the Husky Floor liner where it is wet. It does live outside 24x7, no room in the garage.

Thanks for the suggestion Peter, I'll check - also will check passenger footwell. What's odd that didn't occur to me is that it's under the Husky Floor liner where it is wet. It does live outside 24x7, no room in the garage.
Have you confirmed that it is just plain water?

Last fall we had a foul ball hit our windshield. Fast forward a few days later while I was at work, the insurance company sent them to our house to replace it. My wife mentioned that he told her the original windshield had a section that wasn't sealed correctly? I asked her specifics but she couldn't remember. She did remember him telling her not to worry he did a thorough job of sealing the new one and there was a lifetime guarantee for leaks etc.. But anyway, definitely try what Peter said. Ours has always been in the garage most of the time so not sure if my old windshield even had the chance to do much if any leaking. I've never found any water in it. Just a side note, is the vehicle on a steep incline when it leaks rain water? My 2018 Camry XSE leaked like bad when parked at an upward incline in our steep driveway. The rear passenger foot well would get about 1" of water in it.

Have you confirmed that it is just plain water?
Hello peterk9 and all, Yes, verified it is just plain / clean / rainwater. Had it all cleaned up, and mostly dry, it rained today, sitting outside on level ground. Water in the front on driver floor again, and also in the backseat floor behind the driver seat. Understandable as there is a body line in the floor that acts like a channel to collect the water. I believe it's coming in from the door seal and getting UNDER the carpet, not running over it. Seems to be following the door seal underside and running in. There is a gap there, in the door seal at the middle of the bottom part. I've pulled up the carpet, and it pooled there next to the electronics that are there, on the top side of the footwell - area that would be covered by the plastic trim EXPLORER plate.

It was too chilly here today to sit in the car and have water sprayed on it. I'll try that tomorrow to see if I can pinpoint where it is coming in. I think it's coming from up high and following the track all the way down before coming in. Perhaps some sealant under the weatherstrip? The other thing I noticed, the plastic cladding on the door pillar next to the windshield is NOT tight to the vehicle and I can wiggle it. As far as I know the windshield IS original, but I am not positive. It does have the soundscreen logos on it. I hope it is sealed well.

Tips on finding it? can I stuff plastic shims or putty knives in to stiffen the seal / spray water on it with a hose from outside while having someone watching from inside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello peterk9 and all, Yes, verified it is just plain / clean / rainwater. Had it all cleaned up, and mostly dry, it rained today, sitting outside on level ground. Water in the front on driver floor again, and also in the backseat floor behind the driver seat. Understandable as there is a body line in the floor that acts like a channel to collect the water. I believe it's coming in from the door seal and getting UNDER the carpet, not running over it. Seems to be following the door seal underside and running in. There is a gap there, in the door seal at the middle of the bottom part. I've pulled up the carpet, and it pooled there next to the electronics that are there, on the top side of the footwell - area that would be covered by the plastic trim EXPLORER plate.

It was too chilly here today to sit in the car and have water sprayed on it. I'll try that tomorrow to see if I can pinpoint where it is coming in. I think it's coming from up high and following the track all the way down before coming in. Perhaps some sealant under the weatherstrip? The other thing I noticed, the plastic cladding on the door pillar next to the windshield is NOT tight to the vehicle and I can wiggle it. As far as I know the windshield IS original, but I am not positive. It does have the soundscreen logos on it. I hope it is sealed well.

Tips on finding it? can I stuff plastic shims or putty knives in to stiffen the seal / spray water on it with a hose from outside while having someone watching from inside?

You'll find you can wiggle a surprising amount of the plastic trim in the vehicle. CAP (Chicago Assembly Plant - where the Explorer is built) is notorious for its crappy QC.

Back