Water / Moisture / Condensation in Lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water / Moisture / Condensation in Lights

Reaction score
City, State
DFW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
I just picked up a new 14 Limited yesterday with 36 miles on it. I got home and noticed that the driver side tail lamp was 1/2 full of water. Right back to dealer to have them drain it and order a new one. They said they had never seen that. But there must be something on the manuf. of it that isn't sealed properly. Part to be here tomorrow afternoon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up a new 14 Limited yesterday with 36 miles on it. I got home and noticed that the driver side tail lamp was 1/2 full of water. Right back to dealer to have them drain it and order a new one. They said they had never seen that. But there must be something on the manuf. of it that isn't sealed properly. Part to be here tomorrow afternoon.
Welcome to the Forum KarmanExplorer.:wavey:
I wonder if any other 2014 Explorer owners have checked their tail light? So far this issue appears to be a 2014 problem.

BTW, it would be very helpful if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so that the members will know what you have when answering any future concerns you may have since the models are not all the same. Thanks and
Happy New Year too. :dpchug:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum KarmanExplorer

BTW, it would be very helpful if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so that the members will know what you have when answering any future concerns you may have since the models are not all the same. Thanks and
Happy New Year too. :dpchug:

Peter

I know this is off topic, but how do you add vehicle specs to your profile? I've searched and found nothing. Thank you in advance!

I know this is off topic, but how do you add vehicle specs to your profile? I've searched and found nothing. Thank you in advance!
Click on User CP at the top of the page. Then from the left margin select Edit Options and then scroll down to Thread Display Options and then you can add your vehicle specs there. When someone the clicks on Vehicle Specs inthe left margin of your post, the specs will show.
Some members add some of their info to their signature.
Hope that helps. Happy New Year.:dpchug:

Peter

Click on User CP at the top of the page. Then from the left margin select Edit Options and then scroll down to Thread Display Options and then you can add your vehicle specs there. When someone the clicks on Vehicle Specs inthe left margin of your post, the specs will show.
Some members add some of their info to their signature.
Hope that helps. Happy New Year.:dpchug:

Peter

Thanks!

Ive seen water in tail lights on many vehicles. They stop at a light and the water flies all around like waves crashing against a wall.

My brother in laws 02 explorer had that happen. Out of warranty, his friend who was a Ford mechanic took a drill and drill a hole right in the bottom of the lense, out came the water, permanent drain, permanent solution lol.

Let us know how the repair goes, KarmanExplorer. If you need assistance from my neck of the woods, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Is it bad to have moisture in these lamps? I see it all the time.

Is it bad to have moisture in these lamps? I see it all the time.
If you are referring to water splashing around in the enclosure I wouldn't think that having water in close proximity to electrical components is a good idea at any time. I don't know how the tail lights are constructed but I would imagine that moisture of any kind could lead to corrosion or short circuits under the right conditions.

Peter

The owners manual states that condensation in the light assemblies is normal, as they are vented for pressure changes or something like that. States that it will clear itself up within a day or two.

Actual water sloshing around, I'd go to the dealer about that.

Here's the actual text:
Lamp Assembly Condensation
Exterior lamps are vented to accommodate normal changes in pressure.
Condensation can be a natural by-product of this design. When moist air
enters the lamp assembly through the vents, there is a possibility that
condensation can occur when the temperature is cold. When normal
condensation occurs, a thin film of mist can form on the interior of the
lens. The thin mist eventually clears and exits through the vents during
normal operation. Clearing time may take as long as 48 hours under dry
weather conditions.

These are examples of acceptable condensation:
• Presence of thin mist (no streaks, drip marks or droplets).
• Fine mist covers less than 50% of the lens.

These are examples of unacceptable moisture (usually caused by a lamp
water leak):
• Water puddle inside the lamp.
• Large water droplets, drip marks or streaks present on the interior of
the lens.
Take your vehicle to a dealer for service

Fixed

Dealer, Southwest Ford, stepped right up and got the new lamp assembly today and swapped it out this afternoon. Very quickly and smoothly. Said Ford wants the old one back to look at. They put in new bulbs also. But all the bulbs were burning ok. Could see the water in lower 1/2 of bottom where the LED bulbs are located.

Dealer, Southwest Ford, stepped right up and got the new lamp assembly today and swapped it out this afternoon. Very quickly and smoothly...

Sounds like your dealership took excellent care of you, KarmanExplorer. You know how to reach me if i you need assistance in the future. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Newbie from Frederick Md area

Hello everyone, new to this forum, have used this forum in the past to find answers to questions but never registered. Had two 2008 explorers, recently traded one in for a new 2013 explorer xlt. Great, but suddenly my right rear tail light has turned into a "fishbowl", filling with water. Dealer had to get "approval" from Ford to replace even though I only have about 26k on it. Now I'm told part on back order for 3 weeks! Anyone else have this problem?

Hello everyone, new to this forum, have used this forum in the past to find answers to questions but never registered. Had two 2008 explorers, recently traded one in for a new 2013 explorer xlt. Great, but suddenly my right rear tail light has turned into a "fishbowl", filling with water. Dealer had to get "approval" from Ford to replace even though I only have about 26k on it. Now I'm told part on back order for 3 weeks! Anyone else have this problem?
Welcome to the Forum MSGUSARET.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your post with this thread with similar issues.

Peter

If I remember correctly, I think there was one other person who had this issue. Clearly it is a bad seal that is allowing water in.

My brother in laws 02 Explorer had this and once outside of warranty, his good friend who was a mechanic drilled a small hole on the bottom of the taillight to let the water out.. Problem solved lol.

Not saying that's the correct fix but it beat buying a new taillight outside of warranty.

Back onto your Ex, it is not a common problem.

Has moisture and water droplets covering the entire inside of the driver rear tail light. Dealer is addressing it.
When I got the vehicle 6 months ago it also had moisture in one of the front headlights up on the side near the fender area but this seems to have cleared up after a couple weeks and never seen it again.

"Fishbowl"tail light

Thanks, what was strange about this issue was that I took my XLT to the dealer on Sat. Svc rep said "have to take a picture and email to Ford for approval, we have a list of items we must get approval for, EVEN UNDER WARRENTY, camera man not here today so bring back Mon." Brought back first thing that Monday, picture taken then was told that they will call when they get approval. About 4 hours later was told that Ford approved repair (WOW!), and would get a call when part is in. No word for a week. I called the dealer yesterday (1 week) and was then told tail light on back order for 3 weeks. When I questioned why he then stated "must be redoing them". Anybody knows what's going on because Ford surely doesn't.

Thanks, what was strange about this issue was that I took my XLT to the dealer on Sat. Svc rep said "have to take a picture and email to Ford for approval, we have a list of items we must get approval for, EVEN UNDER WARRENTY, camera man not here today so bring back Mon." Brought back first thing that Monday, picture taken then was told that they will call when they get approval. About 4 hours later was told that Ford approved repair (WOW!), and would get a call when part is in. No word for a week. I called the dealer yesterday (1 week) and was then told tail light on back order for 3 weeks. When I questioned why he then stated "must be redoing them". Anybody knows what's going on because Ford surely doesn't.

Sounds like Ford is trying to keep its dealers honest by having to see pics of warranty work to make sure it is legit.

Needless to say, I will not take any of my vehicles to a dealer for any manufacturer (not just Ford) for repair after off warranty and it is hard to find an honest independent. Auto repair is one of the sleaziest businesses, which is why I have gotten quite good at diagnosing and even repairing myself. Everybody should own an OBDII scanner for CEL's. $40 and Google the code for your make and model. There will be tons of advice on forums for what it is and how to fix it with estimated costs. At least you will have any idea if the repair shop is being honest with you - and knowledge is power if they think you understand the issue.

Now, back on topic. Sorry for the rant that is not directed at Ford, but the whole auto business.

As already mentioned, Ford is trying to keep dealers honest. There are MANY things that now require pictures for Ford to approve. Too many dealers warrantying things that shouldn't be warrantied.

I can understand it.. I think it is ridiculous that they made you come back for pictures.. there should be more then one person capable of taking pictures at a dealership. I would have been bullish!t about wasting MY time to come back for a picture.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like Ford is trying to keep its dealers honest by having to see pics of warranty work to make sure it is legit.

Needless to say, I will not take any of my vehicles to a dealer for any manufacturer (not just Ford) for repair after off warranty and it is hard to find an honest independent. Auto repair is one of the sleaziest businesses, which is why I have gotten quite good at diagnosing and even repairing myself. Everybody should own an OBDII scanner for CEL's. $40 and Google the code for your make and model. There will be tons of advice on forums for what it is and how to fix it with estimated costs. At least you will have any idea if the repair shop is being honest with you - and knowledge is power if they think you understand the issue.

Now, back on topic. Sorry for the rant that is not directed at Ford, but the whole auto business.

I completely agree.. I hate being out of warranty which is why I buy the longest ESP possible. Not only do I hate paying for repairs but I hate paying for repairs while I have a loan payment. I really enjoy fixing what I can on my own and doing my own routine maintenance. And like you, I do have a code reader so I know what I'm looking at before seeing a mechanic.

Back