Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
Question-does the Explorer Sport’s 3.5L ecoboost have the same water pump design? Anything different about it? I’ve got 70K miles and would like to keep it for another 30-40k.
yes, good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked online to confirm the water pump on my 2013 sport, it's part# PW533 (8501). It states "Usage: 09/04/2012 - 09/10/2018" so hopefully it's the revised version of the one in the photos above, but I guess the question is does it use the same bearings (assuming that is the failure point)

I assume you will want to check your build date. A lot of 2013's are built in 2012.

I wish there was some way, sans tearing down my motor, to tell if I have the upgraded timing chain/water pump design.

I looked online to confirm the water pump on my 2013 sport, it's part# PW533 (8501). It states "Usage: 09/04/2012 - 09/10/2018" so hopefully it's the revised version of the one in the photos above, but I guess the question is does it use the same bearings (assuming that is the failure point)
DG1Z-8501-A / Water Pump Assembly
Water Pump
EXPLORER; W/ TURBO
$44.94

Peter

That date range could be the SOP of the 2013 Sport. 2013 was the first model year of the Sport in the 2011-up body style.

And yes cars are built like 6 months before the model year. 2018 models can be built in July of 2017

That date range could be the SOP of the 2013 Sport. 2013 was the first model year of the Sport in the 2011-up body style.

And yes cars are built like 6 months before the model year. 2018 models can be built in July of 2017
For US market, vehicles of a given model year can be manufactured/sold as early as January 1 of the prior year. That means a 2018 model year vehicle could have been manufactured/sold as early as January 1, 2017. Doesn't happen often, but it has happened - usually as a marketing gimmick.

$3430.50. Just picked it up. I had them save the old parts.

I was thinking a bit more about your cost and know that where I live I was once quoted from a Ford dealership that the cost for replacing the water pump was about $1,600. With that said, if they pull the engine and take it apart to replace the water pump, I would think that a lot of those labor hours are the same hours that are required to replace the timing chain, at least it would seem so on the surface. The unknowns for me are the cost of the timing chain and all parts associated with it's replacement and potentially other labor hours that I'm unaware of. I'm simply pointing this out to ensure that you were billed properly and not charged for two separate jobs vs combining labor hours for both jobs.

I was thinking a bit more about your cost and know that where I live I was once quoted from a Ford dealership that the cost for replacing the water pump was about $1,600. With that said, if they pull the engine and take it apart to replace the water pump, I would think that a lot of those labor hours are the same hours that are required to replace the timing chain, at least it would seem so on the surface. The unknowns for me are the cost of the timing chain and all parts associated with it's replacement and potentially other labor hours that I'm unaware of. I'm simply pointing this out to ensure that you were billed properly and not charged for two separate jobs vs combining labor hours for both jobs.

Book time for replacement is 10.8 hours.

$3,500 seems high for water pump and timing chain repairs (few hundred for parts and $3K in labor?). At that point, your pretty close to the cost of replacing the entire engine. I believe they go for about $3K (give or take) and I would think another $1,000-1,500 for the R&R at a local indy shop.

I wonder if any dealers are pricing out and offering that as an option or if they are all just trying to sell repair jobs on the basis of the large amount of higher margin labor hours?

A non turbo engine alone list for $3000 at Auto Nation White Bear Lake Ford.

Then you have to have it installed.

Engine - Ford (DL2Z-6006-D) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

That's actually fairly cheap, but after adding the labor to pull the old engine and install the new one, I would think that would be at least $2,000 plus added to the cost of the engine. Some on this thread have had to pay around $7,000 for a new engine if I recall correctly. What's troubling is the more that's posted on this topic, the more damage the failed water pump can do, such as possibly cause timing change to disengage and having to replace it, seep coolant into the engine causing it to seize, etc.

There have been times when I have torn into a engine that I wondered if the other problems that I found were caused by another failure or if they were just on their way out for another reason.

That is the trouble with a lot of parts inside of the engine, you never know how they are actually doing until you tear it apart.

Hi all!
New ford owner as of October ‘17 and new to this forum.

My 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with 75k Miles Is currently at the dealer for a coolant leak. It started slow and then suddenly started dumping coolant pretty quickly. I just heard back that it’s the water pump failing so I’m sure it will be covered by Ford Premium Care after they send pictures to Ford. (I just extended premium care last month for 4 years/60k Miles thank God!)

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with the water pump failing and the symptoms I experienced (leaking coolant).

Also, am I understanding it correctly that the water pump is internal on the ‘14 explore sport or did I misread that?

It is internal for the sport too. In your case, the coolant must have started leaking out the weep hole, which gave you enough warning of impending failure.

Hi all!
New ford owner as of October ‘17 and new to this forum.

My 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with 75k Miles Is currently at the dealer for a coolant leak. It started slow and then suddenly started dumping coolant pretty quickly. I just heard back that it’s the water pump failing so I’m sure it will be covered by Ford Premium Care after they send pictures to Ford. (I just extended premium care last month for 4 years/60k Miles thank God!)

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience with the water pump failing and the symptoms I experienced (leaking coolant).

Also, am I understanding it correctly that the water pump is internal on the ‘14 explore sport or did I misread that?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The water pump is internal on all 2011 - 2019 Explorers. That may change in 2020 when rumour has it the engine will no longer be mounted transversely.

Peter

Looks like I get to add to the statistics of this threads......more details to come later this week.

2011 Explorer XLT 115k miles. It appears the water pump failed, filled the crank case with coolant, and wiped out the bottom end (& possibly more). I was told there were also multiple cam codes as well.

Prior to my wife's excursion to the orthodontist yesterday, there were no visible leaks, correct coolant level, correct oil level, no apparent moisture in crank case.

Now I need to determine to fix at the dealership, trade as is & buy a replacement car, or buy a replacement car & fix it myself as time permits.

Yes it is a stupid design, but it is still a mechanical item. S-Happens...

Wow I’m sorry to hear that.

I’m really having a hard time wrapping my head around how a failing/failed water pump contaminates the engine/oil with coolant.

Why do some do that and others leak out of the weep hole and nothing more as mine did?

And just FYI for an update on mine: dealer confirmed it was my water pump, Ford Protect requested additional imaging and then approved the repair. Dealer did not recommend replacing anything else (at my expense) such as timing chain (apparently timing chains are known to wear on turbo engines) or any other items.

To be honest, it’s safe to say I’m a little paranoid after reading the problems these vehicles have, but my only saving grace is that I have premium care for 4 years/60k from now. I guess I’ll wait to see how these 4 years go and take it from there before the warranty expires.

......To be honest, it’s safe to say I’m a little paranoid after reading the problems these vehicles have, but my only saving grace is that I have premium care for 4 years/60k from now. I guess I’ll wait to see how these 4 years go and take it from there before the warranty expires.
A Ford ESP starts on the 'In Service' date of your Explorer. Buying a 4 year/60k will only extend the factory warranty by 1 year/24k miles. I lease my vehicles for 3-4 years and will get a 4 year ESP on the longer lease to cover the extra year. I think the exception is if you buy the ESP AFTER your factory warranty has expired because then it is considered a 'pre-owned' vehicle and the rate will be higher.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might help for those that are paranoid about this problem to get their oil analyzed to see what is in it. This might catch a leaking water pump before a major failure. Just don't expect Ford to accept the results.

For myself I will get my oil analyzed next month when I do a oil change and then once I reach 50K miles I'll have it done twice a year. Right now I only drive my Explorer enough to change the oil once a year.

Back