Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 155 87.6%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.4%

• Total voters
I would consider that he would have a strong argument - to be explored/validated by a qualified / skilled lawyer specializing in class action - that the part failure was likely well WITHIN the warranty period - but was not discovered until shortly after. The particular mode of failure is hidden, and would not be detected until the oil was degraded with contamination. By which time, the engine is toast.

To me, this sort of engine design demands sensors that will alarm at the presence of coolant in the oil, because pump seal failure would cause catastrophic engine failure.

I'd counter your argument to say that he would have slim to no chance at this point. He has an engine that's been torn down and much of the evidence of that claim is likely contaminated or destroyed. There would also need to be enough plaintiffs with the same issue to make it worthwhile for an attorney of that skill to want to fight a large corporation with equally large legal assets. I also believe the burden of proof would be on his part. The rapid loss of power followed by catastrophic engine failure points more towards the case that whatever caused it was a series of quickly occurring events. Add in the fact that he cannot testify to the thoroughness of maintenance or abuse/lack of abuse by the previous owner and I don't think equally competent defense counsel would have a hard time shooting holes in the case.

In theory I see the merit of what you're saying but I think the reality is much different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems a little odd that there is a somewhat obscure reference to a problem with the water pumps from a law firm and we have heard nothing about it on this site. This site collects every weird failure you can possibly think of including many that seem not legit.

Has there been any other similar claims? I understand that many people do not buy new vehicles due in part to the large immediate depreciation you incur the moment you drive it off the lot. Well I wonder what would happen if this Ex owner was the original and the service had been done at the dealer? Maybe not any different but at least the dealer would have some vested interest.

Look at this list, it covers all 2007 -2014 3.5 liter engines. Seems odd that this issue has never shown up on this board. Anybody do a search of the multiple models below to see if this issue shows up elsewhere. By the way, did the Ford Fusion ever come with the 3.5 liter engine, seems to be overkill for a smaller sedan...

This problem has the potential to affect all model year 2007-2014 Ford vehicles containing a Duratec 35 (3.5 liter) engine, including: 2007-2014 Ford Edge, 2007-2010 Lincoln MKX, 2007-2014 Lincoln MKZ, 2008-2014 Ford Taurus, 2008-2009 Ford Taurus X, 2008-2009 Mercury Sable, 2009-2004 Ford Flex, 2012-2012 Ford Fusion Sport, and 2011-2014 Ford Explorer.

From looking at the link to the site that claims the problems and seeing the law firm contact info, my guess is that it's a trolling expedition. They hear about a couple of issues and throw enough of a description up to get hits in search engines in the hopes they'll get lucky and a problem will be wide spread enough that they'll see enough interest to start a class action. Kind of like throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks.

BTW I did a Ford 3.5 liter search for water pump failures and did not find anything new. One on a older Ford Flex that was under warranty back in 2012, that was it. Normally you type in anything on the interweb and you can get at least a few hits.

Did you check if anywhere in the vehicle's history, a fan was replaced in response to an overheating engine? Overheating was a common problem due to fans sticking.

Did you check if anywhere in the vehicle's history, a fan was replaced in response to an overheating engine? Overheating was a common problem due to fans sticking.

Not that I saw in the Carfax report. The previous owner appears to have done most of their routine maintenance at Ford dealerships and there is nothing about a fan being replaced.

Not that I saw in the Carfax report. The previous owner appears to have done most of their routine maintenance at Ford dealerships and there is nothing about a fan being replaced.

Carfax won't always show what they did at a dealer..it may just say oil change ect but more was done. The dealer should be able to pull up the entire history of what was done at a dealership

Carfax won't always show what they did at a dealer..it may just say oil change ect but more was done. The dealer should be able to pull up the entire history of what was done at a dealership

Only warranty work can be found between dealerships as it is logged in Ford's system. Any maintenance records or customer pay work orders are only stored in the dealership's system that performed the work.

Only warranty work can be found between dealerships as it is logged in Ford's system. Any maintenance records or customer pay work orders are only stored in the dealership's system that performed the work.

Right...but you can still call that dealer if you know what one and find out what exactly was done

I'd counter your argument to say that he would have slim to no chance at this point. He has an engine that's been torn down and much of the evidence of that claim is likely contaminated or destroyed. There would also need to be enough plaintiffs with the same issue to make it worthwhile for an attorney of that skill to want to fight a large corporation with equally large legal assets. I also believe the burden of proof would be on his part. The rapid loss of power followed by catastrophic engine failure points more towards the case that whatever caused it was a series of quickly occurring events. Add in the fact that he cannot testify to the thoroughness of maintenance or abuse/lack of abuse by the previous owner and I don't think equally competent defense counsel would have a hard time shooting holes in the case.

In theory I see the merit of what you're saying but I think the reality is much different.

Actually, the tear-down could provide evidence of failure of some duration - presuming the primary failure was of the engine bearings from coolant contamination. The most obvious evidence would be sludge from coolant contamination.

Now, it's possible that failure was indeed quick - but water pump bearing failures often leave evidence of impeller hitting the housing, and it's possible to distinguish between the marks done in one failure episode and those that come from marks that come over a period of time. Gotta look real close - but with that $$$$ on the line, may be worth it.

At this point I've accepted the fact that there will be no help from Ford on this one. Even if all the evidence was in my favor, the cold hard fact is I'm outside the 60k warranty and they can tell me to go pound sand. I deal with lawyers and lawsuits on a regular basis in my line of work and the one who benefits from lawsuits time and time again are the lawyers.

It might be prudent for those who are out of warranty to start banking away $7k in case this happens to you. This is pure speculation on my part, but I feel Ford knows this is a problem and will do everything they can to not acknowledge it. Until they put some kind of sensor in these engines that can detect water pump failure/gasket failure, good luck catching this before your engines goes. Even if you find it before it's too late, Ford will charge you $2300 to replace the water pump.

For those that are still under warranty, a multi year ESP can be had for far less than $7k. In the ESP thread there is mention of a 7 year, 100k ESP for $1200. You might still be able to do better than that if you talk to blwnsmoke.

Peter

Ford should reconsider who they appoint as their REP in some countries. Got a cold shoulder from them here today when I was trying to purchase belt tensioner.

Expensive way to learn never to purchase a used Ford product, ever.

millions have purchased a used ford product and have been happy.....Only buy a new ford product right because nothing will go wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back