We might be losing Moab! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

We might be losing Moab!

All,

First, thank you for making Cabela's aware of this issue through your e-mails and phone calls. I've spoken to a few of you over the phone and I appreciate you taking the time to reach out.

I've pasted Cabela's official statement below, but I wanted to personally assure you Cabela's does not support H.R. 1925. We do our best to stay out of politics as much as possible and stick to what we do best, offering our customers great products at great values, backed with a commitment to customer service.

We do, however, try to support our customers’ passions, which are also our passions, through membership or sponsorship of conservation and advocacy organizations. Unfortunately, sometimes these organizations are at odds. When that happens, all we can do is express our concerns, which also are the concerns of our customers, to all interested parties and ask that everyone work together toward a mutually agreeable solution.

I do encourage everyone to contact those people who can really affect the outcome of H.R. 1925, your elected representatives in Congress.

We appreciate your understanding and hope to continue serving your outdoor equipment needs in the future.

David Draper
Cabela's Inc.

Cabela's Official Statement Regarding H.R. 1925
Thank you for contacting Cabela’s regarding H.R. 1925. Despite rumors to the contrary, we do not support H.R. 1925, or any legislation that would restrict access to public lands and responsible enjoyment of the outdoors.

As a retailer focused on the outdoors and outdoor sports, it’s our policy to support the organizations that protect our outdoor heritage. This support includes advocacy groups like Tread Lightly, which states as its mission “to proactively protect recreation access and opportunities in the outdoors.” We provide backing for these and other organizations to ensure protection of the pastimes our customers – and we – enjoy.

Because of customers’ concerns regarding H.R. 1925, we’ve been in contact with Tread Lightly and other OHV organizations. We’ve also contacted a representative of the Outdoor Industry Association, who told us they have no official position on the bill.

Citizens concerned about H.R. 1925, or any legislation directed at reducing or eliminating access to public lands, are encouraged to direct their concerns to their elected officials.

Again, we appreciate you contacting us to voice your concerns and thank you for your continued business. We look forward to serving your outdoor recreation needs for many years to come.

Hard to make a decision based on this response.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The statement was damage control.

Perhaps, he truly meant what he said - that Cabela's does not support the bill. However, until Cabela's (and every other company) withdraw their membership in said organization, they are de-facto supporters of the bill.

In discussing this with my wife--

After I ditch all my coleman camping gear, I will have nothing left but a propane tank. This means I need all new gear before ever camping out again.

Since we need a new couch for the house right now, camping has become a vision in the tunnel only.

But I will not use the stuff again. I would feel like a traitor. I cannot even justify selling it.

I have not fished for trout for years now, as I felt Trout Unlimited was a joke I could no longer be part of

Thanks for killing my hobbies. What a country huh?

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 1925, the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. As your representative in Washington, I want you to know how much I value your thoughts and concerns.

H.R. 1925 designates as wilderness certain Federal portions of the red rock canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah for the benefit of present and future generations of Americans. This bill was referred to the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands. Although I do not serve on this committee, please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come before the House.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please never hesitate to call, email, or write if you have any issues or concerns on your mind. Also feel free to visit my website at www.lynnjenkins.house.gov where you can see what I have been up to and sign up for my weekly newsletter.

Sincerely,

Lynn Jenkins, CPA
Member of Congress

In discussing this with my wife--

After I ditch all my coleman camping gear, I will have nothing left but a propane tank. This means I need all new gear before ever camping out again.

I think that maybe a little extreme. The $$ that was spent on what you have, has been used and is long gone by now. It will only hurt yourself by not having what you need. Face it, we are not rich people that can replace everything we own because of a political action. We can have an impact on the companies by how we spend our future dollars.

I am taking the position of not purchasing their products in the future till they change their stand on this.

I have yet to get a reply from my Arizona Congressmen and Senators.

I think that maybe a little extreme. The $$ that was spent on what you have, has been used and is long gone by now. It will only hurt yourself by not having what you need. Face it, we are not rich people that can replace everything we own because of a political action. We can have an impact on the companies by how we spend our future dollars.

I am taking the position of not purchasing their products in the future till they change their stand on this.

Nope
I feel they used my money to achieve this outcome. No less than the chick using ya for a ride to her other date. When this happens you dump em.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10387637#post10387637

read post 356 on page 15

I have been in contact with Frank Hugelmeyer, President and CEO of the Outdoor Industry Association, who has assured me the OIA has not taken a position on H.R. 1925. He has provided me with a statement, which I’ve posted below.

Again, I want to assure you Peter Metcalf does not speak for Cabela’s and it’s unfortunate he claimed to do so in his testimony yesterday. Cabela’s does not support H.R. 1925, or any legislation aimed at eliminating or restricting access to public lands.

I appreciate those who have reached out to help educate me about the issues you are facing and discuss ways in which Cabela’s can help promote and protect access for everyone who enjoys the outdoors.

David Draper
Cabela’s Inc.

OIA Statement on H.R. 1925

The Outdoor Industry Association Board of Directors has not taken a position on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act nor does it plan to take a position. The recent testimony of Peter Metcalf were his own statements and not OIA board approved.

OIA supports the full spectrum of recreational activities on public lands and represents the broad interests of its many outdoor manufacturer and retail members in the public policy arena.

The OIA public policy agenda is focused on ensuring a fair and proper treatment of the outdoor industry's innovative products as they move through the supply chain to retail and on pursuing increased investment for public lands and close-to-home recreation infrastructure.

Frank Hugelmeyer
President and CEO
Outdoor Industry Association

Seems someone lied to congressional commitee huh? This will discount his whole testimony--

yes?

Seems someone lied to congressional commitee huh? This will discount his whole testimony--

yes?

You only get in trouble for that if you play baseball... :rolleyes:

I am really interested in what will become of Mr. Peter Metcalf's position due to his statement. Sounds like he is on his own. If nothing happens, it could just be they are blowing smoke up our butts. If something does happen (whatever that maybe) to him, we will know they were serious in the responses they gave.

Since they are saying Metcalf spoke on his own without board approval, He is the one to blame for the heat being thrust at them. Weather this true or not, it is pretty darn cool that the ORV online community has been heard, and has made an impact in how they are reacting.

We maybe separated by makes and models, forums, and experience, but we all have the same compassion for wheeling in the Red Rock wilderness. I think by coming together, we show how we can make a difference.

When its all over, we can go back to bashing each other again...lol.!

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you so much for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 1925, the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. As your representative in Washington, I want you to know how much I value your thoughts and concerns.

H.R. 1925 designates as wilderness certain Federal portions of the red rock canyons of the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin Deserts in Utah for the benefit of present and future generations of Americans. This bill was referred to the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands. Although I do not serve on this committee, please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this bill come before the House.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please never hesitate to call, email, or write if you have any issues or concerns on your mind. Also feel free to visit my website at www.lynnjenkins.house.gov where you can see what I have been up to and sign up for my weekly newsletter.

Sincerely,

Lynn Jenkins, CPA
Member of Congress

I got the same email. As far as the coleman, and other companies products if I've already bought them then I'm going to continue to use them. By not using them your only hurting yourself, coleman couldn't care less. The only way to hurt them is by not buying their products in the future.

I got the same email. As far as the coleman, and other companies products if I've already bought them then I'm going to continue to use them. By not using them your only hurting yourself, coleman couldn't care less. The only way to hurt them is by not buying their products in the future.

Buying from the competition now will hurt also.

I have sent my letter in!

I was planning on going back to Moab next spring and I hope it's still there!

I received a letter from my congress-critter today. It was a politically-correct response.

He did not express his opinion of the bill, and said he would keep my views in mind if it comes up for a vote.

Gawd, this makes me sick....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I understand they are negotiating to have certain biking trails excluded. Traitors--

United we stand, divided we fall...

When we were out wheeling, I seen those MTN bikers holding on to the backs of our rigs getting towed up the steep climbs. If you ask me, these guys are a nuisance being on the same trails as we are. They have their own designated trails to use, why do they insist on riding around us? Like a pesky fly on the nose of a bull. We tried to talk and be friendly to them, only 2 of them actually didn't stick up their noses at us and chatted with our group for a bit. These guys were worse than the arrogant Heepers, screw em, I say!

When we were out wheeling, I seen those MTN bikers holding on to the backs of our rigs getting towed up the steep climbs. If you ask me, these guys are a nuisance being on the same trails as we are. They have their own designated trails to use, why do they insist on riding around us? Like a pesky fly on the nose of a bull. We tried to talk and be friendly to them, only 2 of them actually didn't stick up their noses at us and chatted with our group for a bit. These guys were worse than the arrogant Heepers, screw em, I say!

True they can be arrogant but the last thing we need to do is to burn the bridges between any of the off hyw mechanized vehicle groups (this includes mtn. bikes). What we need to do is explain to them that they are part of the ban if areas are to become wilderness. Help them to understand that wilderness eliminates ALL mechanized equiptment from bicycles to wheel chairs on up to 4wd vehicles. Congerss has never (and I doubt will never) make any exclusions to allow certain mechanized vehicles in a wilderness area, as by doing so it will leave the door open for access advocates to sue for access for all (like it should be).

And just FYI Greg all the trails in Moab are (currently) open to all. Just because the mtn. bikers have some dedicated trails does not mean that they should be restricted from any of the others. I know they feel we do not belong there but like I said, WE as advocates for the off hwy. industry need to try to work with them and not aginst.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And just FYI Greg all the trails in Moab are (currently) open to all. Just because the mtn. bikers have some dedicated trails does not mean that they should be restricted from any of the others. I know they feel we do not belong there but like I said, WE as advocates for the off hwy. industry need to try to work with them and not aginst.

Aww, because I am bigger than they are (truck), does that mean I have to be bigger in my thinking as well? Well Shucks.:rolleyes:

I understand we are the ones really being targeted here. It is just annoying to me the Mtn. bikers are trying to separate themselves from the rest of us. I extended my hand to them, they just spit in it. :mad:

Back