• Register Today It's free!

weird auto transmission problem

Gunzel

Reaction score
City, State
Moraira, Alicante, Spain
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xl
I have a '97 Explorer (70.000 miles) that untill now never suffered any problems. During a long trip after about 300 miles in cruise control on the highway, going downhill when the car was breaking on the engine, suddenly the auto transmission made a terrible noise as if it was running without oil. I stopped the car and indeed the oil level was way too low. After a refill, it was driving well again, except for one thing:

As long as I keep my foot on the throttle, everything works fine. No funny noises, lots of power en smooth shifting. But as soon as I let go, the terrible noise is back. Now, after a month, the noise is less hard when it appears, and it seems (I hope) as if the problem is slowly healing itself. In town, it is driving perfectly again, on the motorway though, the problem still occurs, but not all the time. Does anyone have an idea what's the matter with my car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure the sound is coming from your transmission for sure?

The only sure way to find out would be to take the transmission apart and look for broken pieces.

Thanks for your reply, Hitchhikingmike.

I'm 100% sure it's the box. After I stopped, it didn't wanna go backwards as well and made the same awful sound when trying. Someone told me there may be air in the system, but could that still be in there? And more important, if this is the case, where is it hiding and how do I get it out?

If I'm on the motorway and I take my foot off the pedal, the gears start making an awful noise, just when it was running without oil, and it's no longer engaged. Hence, I can’t break using the engine. Once I put my foot down again, it engages immediately and sounds and shifts as if there is no problem what so ever. The only way to drive the car now, is to keep my right foot on the throttle and brake with my left foot. Weird enough, if I'm not going faster than 30 mph, it is running without any problems.

Weird noise with auto transmission

Hi Explorer owners,
My 97 Explorer XLT just developed similar problems as Gunzel's Explorer.
A whirring sound from underneath when free wheeling down hill when not accelerating. It only occurs when there is no pressure applied to accelerator and car is engaged driving. (usually the deceleration of the motor)
Well I had the transfer case replaced yesterday and all apparently drove fine. Today the sound came back.
Assuming the transfer case is good, what else might cause this sound?
I had the auto trans serviced and new transfer case with warranty installed.
Car back to repairer Monday. Will let you know the outcome.
Rob

I would check the tires, for matching circumference. It should have a matched set, rotated properly.

Sounds like the Torque Converter, when you take your foot off the gas the TC unlocks, this is normal and the turbine blades inside are now slipping past each other and could be rubbing, hitting. When you give gas it locks back up, nothing is moving inside.

Continuing to drive with it rubbing will wear off metal and breaking off small pieces which will be pumped all thru the trans, thus ruining it.

Back