Weird Instrument Cluster/Gauges problem - Frozen/Stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Instrument Cluster/Gauges problem - Frozen/Stuck

Kelvarr

Reaction score
City, State
Novi, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 SportTrac XLT 2WD
2005 2WD Sport Trac, 88,000 miles. This just started this last week: I have two different problems, but they are most likely related.

1) My Speedometer and Tachometer (and also come to find out, Odometer) just get "stuck" or frozen. This can happen at any time...from driving 15mph, to sitting still, to 70mph. The gauges all just freeze up. Happens sometimes while accelerating, sometimes while cruising. I have no way to tell whether the other gauges (oil, heat, fuel) work during this time. Cruise Control works fine.

After some undetermined conditions and/or time, they start working again.

Let's say I'm going 45mph. I notice it when I go to slow down...my tach and speedo still read 45mph. The odometer does not increase, nor does the trip meter. After some period of time, they eventually start working again.

2) Sometimes when starting the vehicle, my check engine light is on, and my odometer reads all dashes "------". All of the gauges read like the vehicle is off. Vehicle works fine, and no weird noises (same thing with above). Cruise Control works fine. Again, after some undetermined conditions/time, the check engine light turns off, and all the gauges start working fine again. Odometer correctly displays mileage.

I haven't had a chance to get somewhere to read the check engine code yet, but did want to see what someone here might know about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like you need a new cluster and unless their is a bad connection. I am leaning toward a cluster though.

Well, I had a chance to stop at AutoZone tonight. According to their scanner, there are no engine codes.

So does that mean that it is showing me the check engine light, and there isn't a real problem?

How could I tell if it is a bad cluster vs loose/shorting wiring? Or, could it be the computer? If it was the computer, would I be seeing other symptoms?

You might not get codes if the cluster is bad. I would think codes would come up if it was your computer plus the scanner might not be able to read the computer if it was bad. The only way you can check the wiring is to pull the cluster out and look behind it. Also the cluster has printed circuit board as part of the cluster. You can only replace that board by getting a cluster.

Now if only I can find my Haynes manual so I can figure out how to pull the cluster out.

I'll also note that the guy at AutoZone did have problems getting their scanner to connect. He had to start the truck several times to get it to connect. However, I did note that on every one of these starts, the gauges were all working correctly as they should. I also noticed that the scanner cord did have electrical tape on it from some sort of repair. I think that I might stop at another store and see if they concur with what the first found.

One thing I haven't tried yet, that someone suggested: What about disconnecting the battery? Would that have any effect?

One last question: I've seen it mentioned that if I get a new cluster, I'll have to re-calibrate the speedometer (unless I carry it over), and also, I'll have to reprogram the odometer (again, unless I carry it over)?

I thought that kind of stuff would be stored in a on-board computer, and the gauges of the cluster would be plug-n-play type replacement?

If all of the above is true, is this something that a novice should be attempting for a DIY repair? Or should I be taking it to a shop? I've replaced my brakes (front and back), rotors (front and back), wheel bearings (not hub though), shocks (front, but sent rear to mechanic due to physical limitations...I couldn't physically reach the nut for the rears).

One thing I haven't tried yet, that someone suggested: What about disconnecting the battery? Would that have any effect?

One last question: I've seen it mentioned that if I get a new cluster, I'll have to re-calibrate the speedometer (unless I carry it over), and also, I'll have to reprogram the odometer (again, unless I carry it over)?

I thought that kind of stuff would be stored in a on-board computer, and the gauges of the cluster would be plug-n-play type replacement?

If all of the above is true, is this something that a novice should be attempting for a DIY repair? Or should I be taking it to a shop? I've replaced my brakes (front and back), rotors (front and back), wheel bearings (not hub though), shocks (front, but sent rear to mechanic due to physical limitations...I couldn't physically reach the nut for the rears).

Anything regarding the above?

anything? As bad luck would have it, my Alternator failed this last weekend. With a lot of corrosion on the negative terminal of the battery, I decided to replace that also.

The battery was unhooked for way longer than 30 min, and after hooking everything back up, the cluster still does the locking up thing.

One thing I have discovered though, is that bumps seem to fix it. I noticed several times that when it was locked up, when I went over a railroad track, it almost immediately started working. Since then, when it locks up (which is frequently), I tap on the plastic in front of the gauges, and it starts working for a bit.

Loose connections? Failing gauges? What do I need to fix here? Individual gauges, or the whole cluster?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Instrument cluster

This may not be helpful but my dash and info center in my 07 sport trac went crazy with several different things all at once.i started checking fuses and when I got to the radio fuse ,it was not blown but when I pulled it out all problems stopped.i put the fuse back in and good as new.dont know why but it worked.hope this can help someone else

Back