Weird overheat | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird overheat

1998Exp is largely correct. Mine leaked slowly for several years before it got bad enough that I had to fix it.

As best I recall, removing the balancer did require an impact gun to remove the bolt and a puller to remove the balancer. I also took out the radiator (a PITA to get back in because of the clips) to provide more room. I also dropped the oil pan far enough to snake in a new oil pan gasket. I have access to a lift and air tools, which made the job a lot easier to do. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hoping it's not the timing cover gasket then, the water pump seems to be a tough job but at least doable with my skills. The good news is, I do not currently see any coolant or dried coolant stains in that area, seems to be coming from a lower part of the center of my engine. A pressure test and some UV will definitely help my find it. Should I fill my truck with coolant (imp recommends to fill it with coolant as opposed to straight distilled water to test for a leak) when I pressure test the system today?

Update: looks like the pump, leaking from the gasket where the pump meets the block...this view is from the driver side wheel well...does anyone have experience with GMB pumps? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...97/make/mercury/model/mountaineer?prefilter=1

coolant_zpsdgfmuilp.jpg

Looks more like timing cover to me but lets say it is not. When you get all the water pump bolts out ( some of those hold on the timing cover) the old dry rotten timing cover gasket will typically get disturbed nd leak when you get the pump back on.

I went ahead and bought a new timing cover and a water pump bolt kit (just to have on hand) for my 98 5.0 since a few of the pump bolts like to break or you need to break the timing cover to remove them.

It's not a terrible job to replace a water pump but you need to be ready in case you need to replace the cover too.

I forgot to add, your over heating sounds to me like a randomly sticking T-stat.

Looks more like timing cover to me but lets say it is not. When you get all the water pump bolts out ( some of those hold on the timing cover) the old dry rotten timing cover gasket will typically get disturbed nd leak when you get the pump back on.

I went ahead and bought a new timing cover and a water pump bolt kit (just to have on hand) for my 98 5.0 since a few of the pump bolts like to break or you need to break the timing cover to remove them.

It's not a terrible job to replace a water pump but you need to be ready in case you need to replace the cover too.
should be fun, im sure i could figure out the TC cover if advance has a harmonic balancer removal tool for rent

I forgot to add, your over heating sounds to me like a randomly sticking T-stat.

ill probably replace that in the process. Never done this repair, but i have a haynes manual that offers an in car procedure for the TC as opposed to removing the engine

Back