Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Weird overheat

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by jtre, June 9, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. bobflood

bobflood Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Powder Springs, GA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
    1998Exp is largely correct. Mine leaked slowly for several years before it got bad enough that I had to fix it.

As best I recall, removing the balancer did require an impact gun to remove the bolt and a puller to remove the balancer. I also took out the radiator (a PITA to get back in because of the clips) to provide more room. I also dropped the oil pan far enough to snake in a new oil pan gasket. I have access to a lift and air tools, which made the job a lot easier to do. Good luck.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jtre

jtre Active Member

1997 Mercury Mountaineer
    Hoping it's not the timing cover gasket then, the water pump seems to be a tough job but at least doable with my skills. The good news is, I do not currently see any coolant or dried coolant stains in that area, seems to be coming from a lower part of the center of my engine. A pressure test and some UV will definitely help my find it. Should I fill my truck with coolant (imp recommends to fill it with coolant as opposed to straight distilled water to test for a leak) when I pressure test the system today?

4. jtre

jtre Active Member

1997 Mercury Mountaineer
    Last edited: June 16, 2017
  5. SWIGIN

SWIGIN Active Member

City, State:
    PA
    79 Bronco , 98 Explorer
    Looks more like timing cover to me but lets say it is not. When you get all the water pump bolts out ( some of those hold on the timing cover) the old dry rotten timing cover gasket will typically get disturbed nd leak when you get the pump back on.

I went ahead and bought a new timing cover and a water pump bolt kit (just to have on hand) for my 98 5.0 since a few of the pump bolts like to break or you need to break the timing cover to remove them.

It's not a terrible job to replace a water pump but you need to be ready in case you need to replace the cover too.

6. SWIGIN

SWIGIN Active Member

City, State:
    PA
    79 Bronco , 98 Explorer
    I forgot to add, your over heating sounds to me like a randomly sticking T-stat.

7. jtre

jtre Active Member

1997 Mercury Mountaineer
    should be fun, im sure i could figure out the TC cover if advance has a harmonic balancer removal tool for rent

8. jtre

jtre Active Member

1997 Mercury Mountaineer
    ill probably replace that in the process. Never done this repair, but i have a haynes manual that offers an in car procedure for the TC as opposed to removing the engine