1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Weird piggyback harness found

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by w1kedz, June 15, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

I was changing a fuse in a very awkward position last night, and I noticed a weird bunch of quick splices spidered into the factory harness. Is this normal? I think i am going to remove the harness, but I'm not sure what it's there for in the first place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jrmexplorer

jrmexplorer Well-Known Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Limited
    Do you have remote start? I googled "Code Systems Ford" and came up with quite a few hits for remote start and keyless entry stuff.

4. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

I don't.. I did find the same info... I wonder if the dealership had added the remotestart and programmable keyless for use in the dealership, and when I didn't pay for the option disconnected it... 2 of the leads terminals where disconnected.

Would be interesting to know what functionality I could gain w/ connecting them :)

5. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

Apparently this is just the plug/harness... it requires the actual security system module... so I will remove it from the car... though I did find a wiring diagram for the harness, so it makes it easy to identify the wires in the factory harness now based on which wires are connected in this one.

6. w1kedz

w1kedz Guest

lol.. just a note..
    in the manual for the installation for Ford tech's...

"DO NOT USE CRIMP-CONNECTORS OF ANY KIND. THEY ARE NOT A ROBUST METHOD FOR SPLICING IN NEW WIRES."

Guess the techs don't read the manuals either? :)