Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Weird power issues. Keep coming out to a dead battery

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Roadblock1945, February 19, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Roadblock1945

Roadblock1945 New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 Explorer XLT
    I've been late for work 3 times now in two weeks because I keep needing to have someone come jump my early 2002 Ex XLT.

I wake up and the battery is just dead. Happened again this morning. I finally got to work about an hour late and I went in. Boss asked me to run to another building so I checked my email and then headed out and I got out to my SUV and the radio was on and blasting. It was off when I went in...

So I sat there for a few minutes trying to replicate the issue and I noticed that after turning off the ignition the clock would kick back on like I had just key'ed the ignition.

Also if I open and then close the drivers door, it acts like its still open. The door buzzer is still dinging and I can finally hear it stop then the clock goes out then I hear a click and the clock comes back.

I'm stumped. Something in the door?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    We'll most of what you mention is ignition switch position controlled. It may be a bad ignition switch.

4. ponkotsu

ponkotsu Active Member

City, State:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    2005 Lincoln Aviator
    I doubt if its the ignition switch because that wouldn't make the door chime with door closed. Sounds like you have a short somewhere. A short can cause all kinds of strange electrical problems. Start by checking the wires in the door hinge. But the short could be anywhere. You could try pounding on the steering column and see if that makes it happen, then that would point to the ignition switch.