Weird power issues. Keep coming out to a dead battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird power issues. Keep coming out to a dead battery

Roadblock1945

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I've been late for work 3 times now in two weeks because I keep needing to have someone come jump my early 2002 Ex XLT.

I wake up and the battery is just dead. Happened again this morning. I finally got to work about an hour late and I went in. Boss asked me to run to another building so I checked my email and then headed out and I got out to my SUV and the radio was on and blasting. It was off when I went in...

So I sat there for a few minutes trying to replicate the issue and I noticed that after turning off the ignition the clock would kick back on like I had just key'ed the ignition.

Also if I open and then close the drivers door, it acts like its still open. The door buzzer is still dinging and I can finally hear it stop then the clock goes out then I hear a click and the clock comes back.

I'm stumped. Something in the door?

We'll most of what you mention is ignition switch position controlled. It may be a bad ignition switch.

I doubt if its the ignition switch because that wouldn't make the door chime with door closed. Sounds like you have a short somewhere. A short can cause all kinds of strange electrical problems. Start by checking the wires in the door hinge. But the short could be anywhere. You could try pounding on the steering column and see if that makes it happen, then that would point to the ignition switch.

Back