Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Weird Transmission Filter Question 1994 Limited Edition Explorer

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by VA7LFD, March 19, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. VA7LFD

VA7LFD New Member

City, State:
    Langley
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 Limited Edition Expl
    Here's a weird one! I have a 1994 Limited Edition Ford Explorer. I was going to do a transmission oil change and also change the filter. I went to Rockauto and ordered the FT85 filter specifically for my transmission. When I loosened the pan and carefully drained the fluid I noticed the filter looked different. I took the existing filter off and compared the two and to my surprise they are different. I asked my friend for help and he did some research to. He called the local Ford dealership service department and they did a check with the VIN number and it came out to the Motocraft FT85 filter, the same one I got from Rockauto. What I did is left the old one in but did flush the old oil out. Surprisingly the pan didn't have metal parts, shavings or debris in it for it's age. I am totally baffled. I have included photos of the old one top and bottom and the new one top and bottom which I couldn't get on. I think the model of my transmission is the 4R55E from our research.....Thanks for any help.....

20190315_172941.jpg

20190315_173003.jpg

20190315_173010.jpg

20190315_173015.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. FR-425

FR-425 Used to be a road here. Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Phoenix, AZ.
    1994 Explorer Limited
    Last edited: March 19, 2019