Weird transmission problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird transmission problem

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
First off, I have a 95 limited with a 4r55e. When driving, after warming up, when slowing down to 15 mph tranny shifts into 1st like normal but when it does it sometimes doesn't engage all the way. Meaning I'll feel the tranny make a slight clunk, and it won't move forward on its own, but it will if I give it half throttle. Engine RPM's do not go crazy, even when I floor it but when it does this it just goes to 3k and then suddenly engages and takes off. No blinking o/d light, brand new torque converter and valve body. Old TC had busted fins.

If the work was done at a shop I would contact them immediately about how it is driving then take it back for a rework at their cost. If the truck did not act this way before, something likely was not installed correctly or is blocked/broken.

I did the work my self, this started before I did all the work. It happened after I was trying to get it out of 4x4 low. I know how to replace the trans, I already pulled it out to do the torque converter. Already planned on putting in a new one this year. This feb I hope to order a new one. I'll be sure to disassemble the old one and we will find out what broke. Otherwise the truck hauls ass compared to before, just first gear drops out sometimes. I could try my transgo shift kit that I bought. I did adjust my shift bands (intermediate and OD), that really helped when passing on highway.

Back