Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Well all was well........

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by ChallengerDave, June 18, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ChallengerDave

ChallengerDave Active Member

City, State:
      Amherst NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Sport Trac XLT
      Well I love this truck to death, it is just about everything I wanted. So far I installed my stereo, full K&N intake, and just about set her up to tow my camper. Now while I was browsing around on the explorer forum I stumbled on a very disturbing subject about this motor that I have in my truck. Ever since I left the dealer with the truck I thought I herd a rattle at low speeds coming from the exhaust, I figured no big deal Ill take care of it when I got home. Couldnt find what was causing it, only real time it did it was when it was COLD...... Now im reading page after page on the net about this, can I really have a bad timing chain tensioner on an 04? I would have figured they would have corrected this problem since it was happening to earlier 4.0 SOHC engines. Anything I can do? Does ford have any programs going on for this right now? Thanks guys....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      As painful as it may be in the beginning I'd recommend purchasing the Ford extended warranty. One of the Sport Trac members here has a low mileage '01, around 50K, and bought the 4 yr/48K warranty. He was having no problems at the time but with the T-chain and trans troubles that can arise unexpectedly he decided it was a good investment. He's had no engine/tranny troubles yet but has used a big chunk of that investment having front end repairs done. (He's in eastern NY and speaks often of the poor road conditions) If ,IF I say, he has any drive train troubles he'll be coming out way ahead in the wallet department.

Consider it. I can find out the specifics on purchasing the warranty if need be.

Be sure it's not a heat shield on the converters rattling or an internal converter rattle. Use a piece of heater hose (or similar) as a stethoscope and listen around the t-chain areas in the front and back. Do the same @ the converter. Let us know what you find.

4. BXTF

BXTF Member

City, State:
      TUCKAHOE NY
      2001 EXPLORER SPORT TRAC
      hi steve,
      happy fathers day all here is the link this was the best investment i made on my sport trac the front end work paid for it self just cost me the $ 100.00 deductable good luck.
      http://www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com/default.asp
      Bxtf.

Last edited: June 19, 2011
    5. ChallengerDave

City, State:
      Amherst NY
      2004 Sport Trac XLT
      I may look into it, I have to do some more investigating on this thing. Maybe im just freaking out a little. Ill go shake down the exhaust once more for good measure.

6. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter New Member

City, State:
      Alabama
      '01 Sport Trac 4x4
      I'm glad I saw this. I checked out the Ford Extended Warranty online. I don't know how much it is at the dealer, but here is the quote I got on the website:

www.fordwarrantys.com

2 yr/24,00 miles for my 01 Sport Trac 4X4 with 71K miles

Premium Care $1885.00
      ExtraCare $1575.00
      BaseCare $1395.00
      PowertrainCare $1195.00

It says something about discount codes too, but I haven't played with those yet.

They have info detailing the different coverages, and you can change the warranty period and deductible to see different rates. Since this is my DD, and I HAVE to have it shipshape for longer trips for work, I may jump on this.

7. ChallengerDave

City, State:
      Amherst NY
      2004 Sport Trac XLT
      See this is painfull. See I have a problem having people work on my stuff. There were only two times I have farmed out help to others, first time was with my old 99 Sport. Simple oil change since I was real busy at school. Friend who i thought new his stuff did a double gasket to the filter and drove right out of the shop with out checking it. The second and last time was also at school. I had finished building the engine and trany in my Challenger, got a new torque converter late. Had a buddy who again I knew was smart. I pulled the trany he did the rest. 1 week later I stared to hear a loud knock from under the hood. turns out he never torqued the torque converter bolts or even used thread locker.

If it is a timing chain issue then I think I should be able to handle it myself. I hear sometimes cheap oil filters will make this worse. I looked under the other day and seen some china crap under there. Getting me a motorcraft filter. Should be a 820 if I can remember correctly.

8. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      Run synthetic oil too. As soon as I switched over to syn and back to a motorcraft filter the noise went away.

9. ChallengerDave

City, State:
      Amherst NY
      2004 Sport Trac XLT
      Good point. I might as well do I oil change and at least get that part right, remember I just bought this truck. I have to chase that salesmen down tomorrow because I found the my parking brake doesn't work. I wonder how they passed that on a nys inspection. haha

10. sport97

sport97 Elite Procrastinator

City, State:
      connellsville pa
      1997 sport SOHC 4.0
      They normally just put it on, and if it sounds like it engages it usually squeaks past without them trying to move the truck while its on. Mine has slipped through for 2 years now. Although I know it needs to be fixed, probably just adjusted.

11. ChallengerDave

City, State:
      Amherst NY
      2004 Sport Trac XLT
      Well I dumped that crap oil and filter and replaced with some good old Mobil 1 and a good filter. So far, no rattle. I know this is just a bandage over the problem but it does return im digging in!