Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Well - I've been whipped

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by 07EddyB, November 22, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
    Bowling Green, KY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
    Hate to admit it but I've been whipped by the Ex.
    Some of you may remember my thread about 18 months ago where I tackled an exhaust manifold replacement with two broken studs - number one cylinder - top and bottom. I got the bottom one out but not the top. I just went ahead and put the new manifold on with 7 studs. It lasted about two years - around 16K miles - before it started leaking a little again. I've really worked on that broken stud over the past few weeks - I thought I found a way to do a blind center drill on it in that tight space but it still worked it's way to the side. So my extractor seems to be digging into the head as well as the stud.
    That's not optimal - in fact it's dismal for the desired outcome.
    At this point - the only fix is to either pull the head or the engine. There is really no way to fix it with the tight spaces involved. I've really screwed things up at this point - I'm into the threads in several different places.
    So - today, a new manifold went on the Ex. It will again probably last another two years or so before it also warps. It's about $95 for parts - so cheaper than the other answers.
    It's also an incredible pain in the ass to change out but I can do it myself so I guess I'll mark my calendar :(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    That top stud on #1 is a mofo to get to. The only way I've got one of those out in the truck is by undoing both motor mounts and trans mount nuts, lifting the motor, placing wood blocks under the passenger mount and dropping the motor back down to get it to twist away from strut tower. Even then a small angle drill is required.

You did the right thing by stopping and putting the manifold on with 7 bolts. Keep going and you would need to pull the head to replace it. You can pull the head in the engine bay and it's the next step I suggest.

4. Cade _ATL

Cade _ATL New Member

City, State:
    ATLANTA GA
    2009 Explorer EB V8 4x4
    Not sure if you have drilled in too far, but the way too remove a broken stud would be to tig weld an extension onto the stud (not onto the head) to give you a good surface to grip and remove.

• Like Like x 1
  5. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Omaha, NE
    06 Explorer Limited V-8
    Bluto: What? Over? Did you say 'over'? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!...

It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin' gets tough, the tough get goin'. Who's with me? Let's go! Come on!...(He ran to the front door but no one followed him)

6. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
    Bowling Green, KY
    2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
    Six years of college down the drain.
    It's amazing how an Animal House quote always fits.

Beyond the initial drive after I got it all together I drove it to work today. The silence was worth all the pain. It's amazing how an exhaust leak can make an otherwise solid vehicle seem old and worn out. It's purring like a kitten now (well, like a kitten with noisy fuel injectors) so there is a renewed balance in the universe.
    I don't know how much longer I'll keep it but be advised - before you pull a head or an engine over that one broken stud - just put a new manifold on it and see how long it lasts on seven studs. Yes - it's a pain to do the job - but the parts are relatively cheap and mine only developed a relatively minor noise after 18 months.
    When you do it - get the stainless studs and nuts. I know, it's only been 18 months, but those guys never even put up a fight this time. It was like I put them in yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Trainmaster

Trainmaster New Member

City, State:
    Rockaway Beach NY
    2010 Limited
    ...put it on CraigsList

8. Josh P

Josh P Shaggin Wagon Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Phoenix Az
    1991 aerostar
    17.5 months later...

9. Trainmaster

Trainmaster New Member

City, State:
    Rockaway Beach NY
    2010 Limited
    Unfortunately it's too late now, but they sell a drilling guide that bolts onto the existing studs to position a drill template at the center of the broken stud. The tool comes with the bits and everything. All you need is a little Milwaukee right angle drill.

Here's a cheap Ebay version
    Exhaust Manifold Broken Stud Removal tool Ford F150, F250, F350 4.6L, 5.4L, V10 | eBay

And Lesle makes one with a case (71600) for more money:
    Lisle 71600 Manifold Template Ford 4.6L/5.4L | eBay

Here's how it works:

[​IMG]

Last edited: December 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1