Well my truck is back and here is what they said about my tranny... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well my truck is back and here is what they said about my tranny...

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 blazer lt
Apparently my overdrive 'ring' or 'band' is gone, er well shot or however you want to put it.

However they said that my tranny is no worse for wear, that it will function fine over than I have no overdrive.

I'm not forkin over 2900 bucks (Canadian) for another tranny, unless i get a good junkyard one or something for cheap and have a backyard mechanic do it.

I'm not sure how hard it is to put a tranny in, but I don't have a tranny jack and I've never done one before (i have some good mechanical knowledge, all mods to my trans am i did myself, web page in the sig)

so, how long can i now expect this tranny to last? she has 172k KILOMETERS on the odometer, thats just over 100k miles.

let me know guys, thnaks.

leo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well... sounds like the VENERABLE :rolleyes: ;) A4LD .... just keep driving it till it explodes... the only downside is crappier gas mileage.... but why get it fixed now? the rebuild can be avoided till necessary....

rebuild kits are like 70 bucks on ebay for this tranny...how hard are they to do?

how hard is it to actually get the tranny out of the truck, provided you got her up on jackstands or ramps with a tranny jack?

i'm sure if i ever tried to sell her without an overdrive gear....the price i'd fetch for her would be significantly lower than if it was working properly.

Originally posted by lbrowne
rebuild kits are like 70 bucks on ebay for this tranny...how hard are they to do?

how hard is it to actually get the tranny out of the truck, provided you got her up on jackstands or ramps with a tranny jack?

i'm sure if i ever tried to sell her without an overdrive gear....the price i'd fetch for her would be significantly lower than if it was working properly.

The rebuilds are best left to the professionals.

Also, if the tranny hasn't been taken out, it might be a PITA to remove the front exaust bolts to get at it. Mine were rusted tight on there after 10 years of use, and it took a good hour to get them off.

oh yea the tranny was out of her, a couple of times actually at ford in the last 2 months.

they specifically charged me for new bolts cuz they had to break the existing ones to get at it.

wonder should i look inot getting a tranny out of a wrecked one...or one at a junkyard.

Wait two months

I'm going to write up my experience on rebuilding my 92 A4LD. The best place I found for parts is bulkparts.com and you can get a ASTG manual for $16. There have been so many changes to this transmission that it has an additional manual $16 for just updates. Hardest part is removing the exhaust Y but that should be a piece of cake if it was actually out before. If you are handy you can fab a mount that will fit on a floor jack. Just something to keep the pan from crushing. You will nedd something to center the pump. This is about $100 and I hope to fab one on a lathe. Got a couple of machine shops that owe me favors. Basic seals are about $30, band another $30, filter $10. There are lots of things you could replace but they may not be needed. If you can do without it for a month it can be a reasonable project. Many don't have that option. I drove mine for years without a TCC and the mileage didn't suffer. Sure was hard on brakes. So stick around and watch me make a fool of myself.

Back