1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

what amp to get?

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by FexplorerV8, December 26, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FexplorerV8

FexplorerV8 Active Member

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 expedition
      im getting 2 12's MTX 8000 subs, what kind of amp should i look at?

also what kind of enclosure should i get, or would the one i have work?... sealed box i think its 1.5 cu ft each hole

I currently have 2 12's Sony in a sealed box (i need to check the measurements to know the box volume....) and a Boss amp C550
      should i get one more amp and just put one amp for each MTX or get some other amp…
      This amp says it does 800x1 but i dont know if this is at 4 ohms or at 2ohms... should be 4ohms….

Should i look at another brand of subs brand before buying this????
      Should I get one more Boss amp???
      What box do I need??

links would be great!!!! thanks... :exp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. biturbosport

biturbosport New Member

City, State:
      Calgary, Alberta
      99' Sport
      Are you looking for Sound quality/SQL kind of competitive setup or an SPL setup?

4. FexplorerV8

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      97 expedition
    5. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ridley Park, PA
      1999 XLS R.I.P.
      I have a Diamond Audio D7 7401 amp pushing my Eclipse Titanium 15. It sounds extremely loud and clear. If you are willing to spend some money, the D7 series amps are very nice.

6. jeff96

jeff96 Active Member

City, State:
      Fayetteville, NC
      03 Ninja 636, 96 Ex Sport
      your going to need something decent for those 8000's I blew one from underpowering it, was giving it 300 rms. But for everything else its personal preference. Just go to the store and find what you like. And then if you want you can order it online cheaper. Every body is going to have there own preference, just go down to the store and find yours :]

7. Nasty350LT1

Nasty350LT1 Active Member

City, State:
      Just around the corner
      1999 Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD
      I have an MTX 81000 running my 3 Infinity 12" subs at 2.7 OHMS in a custom box. I run it "Loud & Proud"

8. FexplorerV8

City, State:
      Houston, TX
      97 expedition
      am i getting good speakers? MTX makes some of the best sound equipment i'v heard, i might go with MTX amps... u just cant go wrong

9. Wagonized

Wagonized Active Member

City, State:
      abbotsford bc
      97 5.0 limited
      the fact that a sub will blow from underpowering is very misunderstood. a 9 second car will not blow up if its not ran at full power all day long.

what happens with most people is they get the thought in their heads that the sub can take much more wattage that it's getting so the crank up the gain on their amp way too high boosing THD levels. Creating a dirty signal to your subs. Its not the lack of power that kills them its a lack of common sense as far as underpowering goes.

to address your question, i have a few mtx 8000 15s and ive played around with them quite a bit. I find that they definitely shine more in ported boxes and can handle much more than rated power numbers if its clean power. In my cutlass i currently have 2 mtx 8000 15s in 6.3 cubic feet tuned to 38 hz sharing 2500 watts rms from a viper 2500d. They've been handling this wattage in this setup fine for about 5 months now.

Id say aim for an amp that puts out around 800 watts atleast to the pair and go with a ported box. Lower tuning for sound quality, higher for SPL use