What are pinion and carrier bearings?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are pinion and carrier bearings??

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Anyone heard of these? Those are new terms to me. The reason I ask is because I have this awful noise coming from my rear end when I'm driving, and when I'm slowing down or coasting between like 15 and 30, there's a really bad groaning noise from the back. So the dealer has it, and told me it's the pinion and carrier bearings, and it's gonna be $1,100 to fix!

So, that's my question. What are these bearings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a whole hell of a lot to fix those. Should cost closer to about $350-400 for parts and labor.

They're basically parts in the rearend that are meant to reduce friction. When they fail you get rubbing parts. The parts are about $100-150, and labor should be the same as a gear swap.

Just to add, if you want to do a gear swap or install a traction aid, this is the time to do it.

Thats a bit extreme a shop that installs gears would proly do it for more like $200 plus parts.The pinion bearing is the bearing on the pinion so it can spin. The Carrier baearings are the two on the carrier so that it can spin....

3 bearings all together ( I think maybe there are 2 on the pinion) Pretty rare that those bearings go out in an 8.8 so you might want a second oppinion too.

A gear install kit for the 8.8 is around $90 this will have all the parts in it needed.

My suggestion is to pick it up from the dealer and tell them where to go. Take it to a 4x4 shop or aywhere that works on rear ends.

This is a Daa 44 but here is where the carier bearings are:

Attachments

• gears.jpg
    gears.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 677

And this is what the pinion bearings look like on the Ford 8.8". You can just see them opposite the pinion gear. My 8.8 rebuild kit cost about $70 from Desert Rat. They installed the gears and locker for $200 labor. I would say you should be spending about $300 tops if all you are replacing are the bearings. If you are regearing, add another $200.

Attachments

• 030624 - 003.jpg
    030624 - 003.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 689

Back