• Register Today It's free!

What can get wet

Robrt32

Reaction score
City, State
Sledge Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT
about my explorer that causes to act just like the old distributor Fords would do? I just went to town , ran fine on the way. I got almost to the store and met a car, it forced me into a big puddle of water. It splashed all over the hood and windshield, it was GOOD splash. Well now it acts just like my old 77 does when you run through a puddle and get the distributor wet....... What to do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know wet coil packes like what we have can act just like old wet distributors, and for the exact same reasons. Distributor caps are pretty sealed, it's not water getting IN them, it's water conducting electricy allowing the spark to "jump" around to the wrong wires ON them, and causes general havoc.

I don't think most people really realize just how much juice flows through an iginiton system, but it's serious voltage. And it will "jump" if given 1/2 a chance. Used to have that issue on my 68 Mustang, and have had it on my 350 TransAm with the HEI distributor....

A coil pack might not a distributor be, but it still how the high volt juice is directed at the spark plugs so when it comes down to it they are much alike. Just without points.

I'm kinda wondering if I have some bad spark plug wires. I may buy a new set tomorrow and if that doesn't fix it , I guess I change the coil pack off my 92 parts truck. It idles fine, but if you try and get above 1500 RPM it cuts out spits sputter pops. No CEL , no codes

It runs fine now that its dry, should change the coil pack ? wires ? both? avoid pools of water?

Any ideas on this? I went through some ruts full of water yesterday going to a deer stand and it done the same thing. It cuts out when you accelerate.. You can only run about 35 or 40 until whatever it is dries back out. No light, no codes

I would put plugs and wires on it. The coil pack is about $90, so unless it needs it....

I put new plugs and wires today.. Its suppose to rain tomorrow, I will see if it helped..I was hoping to find some cracks or breaks in the old wires, I didn't.. I got a parts truck with a coil on it... I will swap it if it continues and see if that helps

Back