Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

what cfm do i need

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by 93xplorersport, July 11, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. 93xplorersport

93xplorersport Active Member

City, State:
    paris, tn
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    93 sport 4x4
    I went trail riding and muddin Sunday at turkey bay kentucky and I noticed a few times my temp gauge was pegged out or close to it, not good. I want a elec fan but I don't know what cfm is the min I need to get and if it makes a diff I don't have ac. I just want the fan to come on at temp when driving down the road andwhen I want to play i want to be able to turn it on manually

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 86 slo-vo

86 slo-vo Active Member

City, State:
    owensboro, KY
    i would pick up a taurus fan and a controller, would be a nice cheep setup that will work as good as anything else.

who do you run with down there? we go every couple of months

4. ZTraz77

ZTraz77 New Member

City, State:
    Richmond, OH
    '91 XLT
    procomp fans on ebay

I just did this upgrade in my 91 ex and i kept looking for a taurus fan but was afraid i would buy a piece of crap.. so i started looking online and found a sweet setup on ebay for only $82 with shipping. It came with 2 14" procomp fans, mounting straps, a derale 40/60 amp relay setup, and a 3/8 NPT thread in 180f degree thermostat which just screws in place of the temp guage sensor.. it pushes 3500- 4000 cfm depending on the fan ratings that are considered, stock is only about 1700, and the only real issue is that if u do want the original temp guage u have to relocate it to a heater hose line ( which takes only 10 min or so) and ground it to the motor so it gets a reading.. it was cheap, very easy to install, and one of my favorite mods due to freeing up some ponies and reducing weight since i also completely eliminated my a/c:D

5. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    stock is way more than 1700 more like 2700!you need at least a 3000com fan to keep the ex cool during 4x4.the taurus ,mark and tbird have been the only fans that have been proven to pull enough cfm so far.i would like to see how you got two 14"fans to fit.post some pics and links.

Last edited: December 25, 2011
  6. Blacksheep Josh

Blacksheep Josh Slinky+Escalator=Fun

City, State:
    Statesboro, GA
    '01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
    Many people have done an electric fan swap, for pavement driving it tends to work pretty damn good. For offroading, not so much. I think you're better sticking with a fan and clutch and figuring out why your Explorer was getting close to overheating. Maybe a performance thermostat that opens quicker?

7. tweakedlogic

tweakedlogic Active Member

City, State:
    memphis, tn
    '92 XLT
    I choose a dual speed fan from a Cherokee limited. Each lead by it's self runs low speed. When power is applied to both leads it spins up much faster. I can't remember the CFM rating though.
    I set it up so one lead goes on with the a/c and the other with the temp sensor. i also have a switch so I can put power to both leads at the same time in case I start to get hot. That same switch cuts off all power to the fan totally in case of a water crossing. though I still think the switch is a good idea, I have never needed to touch it. But it's there in case.

8. ZTraz77

ZTraz77 New Member

City, State:
    Richmond, OH
    '91 XLT
    jd i was told on here that stock was 1700 but i cant remember who said it and i thought it sounded low.... and its very simple how i got 2 fans in.. complete a/c elimination including the condenser and i put a fan in its place so i have 1 push and 1 pull fan

9. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    o ok.i still wouldn't trust the rating of any fan unless its stock cfm rating.i had two just like that each fan rated 3000cfm and i still over heated.changed to a hhr and it pulled way more than my two 3000cfm fans and rated less than 3000cfm and i still over heat in 4x4.im going to a two speed taurus.

10. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    An HHR fan works well, they are easy to find (unlike the taurus fan), you can get them new for cheap, and they fit well (some trimming required if you have an automatic), unlike the Mark VIII fan which doesn't fit at all..

Last edited: July 13, 2011
  11. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    the hhr does not work at all.it just barley gets by for easy street driving.i was the first to put one on an explorer and sense then there has been 5threads about it not being enough cfms!

12. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    Seems to work fine for me. IDK, he could always view Aldive's thread and use the fan he was using. Either way, as long as he doesn't go with a cheap fan. If he can find a taurus fan, that would probably be best since they fit so well and work perfect.

13. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    do you have a real temp gauge?sd it might get by.you done any 4x4ing with it?what temps do you run on the highway or in 90+ traffic or long hard 4x4ing?i know me,zeek ,robin and dono have had them not keep up and some other but can't remember their names.latest thread
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313640

14. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    o they don't fit well at all but yes they work perfect!

15. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
  16. FIND

FIND Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Vermillion, SD
    99 XLT V8 AWD
    I don't do hard 4 wheeling with mine, and offroad is mainly fields and ditches. Mine is primarily a DD. Had several days this year of over 100 degree weather, truck was fine. I am using an OEM style radiator, the thick one for the automatic, with an aux tranny cooler mounted elsewhere (not that the transmission impacts temps much, just to keep the tranny fluid cooler). Thermostat was replaced last year and works well. IDK. You are running a pretty hot cam, high compression and a substantially modified engine.... Either way, most of the hard work my truck does is in the winter in sub-zero temps, so I am probably ok.

compared to a Mark VII fan, they fit well.

17. 93xplorersport

City, State:
    paris, tn
    93 sport 4x4
    k im thinkin of the taurus fan. how hard will it be to fit on an automatic radi?

18. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    alot of trimming!!search!!

19. Maniak

Maniak Moderator-Stock 91-94 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Vail, Arizona
    1992 XLT 4x4
  20. 93xplorersport

City, State:
    paris, tn
    93 sport 4x4
    if the hhr fan is truely between the taurus and mark fan then ill go there. i just need a fan than can hold up to tenn. weather plus me wheelin i do trail ride and mud, anyone who has been to turkey bay knows there is some steep hills. but if everyone is good the with the hhr fan than i am willing to try that. what years and motor options do i need to look at i work at napa and i can get them cheap just need to know what options. thanks

21. jd4242

jd4242 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    va beach
    92explorer&94 ranger
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322554
    its not that's what im telling you."find" is the only one I've seen that it is working for.

We Support Our Troops!