What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

You can get the paint to match part and get them painted.

They don't come with a specific color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorer-lettering.jpg
Added the "Explorer" lettering to the front of the hood.

Worked on our rental property so I had the ladder, paint and supplies inside.

2013 Explorer XLT
Opened the rear/third row side panels and unplugged the silly toy speaker bridged with the rear door speaker. Just ripped it open starting at the edge inside the rear door. It came apart easily and snapped back in place. Disconnected the speaker easily. Pictures to be in the thread following stereo upgrading. Sounds better. I'm geeked.

Since I picked it up on April 22nd, I've added...

• Keyless Entry
  • Remote Start
  • LED high beams
  • Motorola XTL5000 VHF Radio
  • Motorola XTL5000 UHF Radio
  • Kenwood TM-D710G Ham/APRS Radio
  • Uniden BCD996XT scanner
  • Havis center console
  • Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 laptop
  • Setina Pushbar
  • UHF antenna
  • VHF antenna
  • Dual band antenna
  • Scanner(VHF) antenna
  • Havis radio tray

More to come...

Clay bar treatment smooth now and paint seems to be popping more. Strongly recommend if you have any rough spots.

8A55D4C8-5167-4714-A5B4-9F6C56789C65.jpg

62674F6A-C591-4C1B-B123-D9A31FF733C5.jpg

How did you black out the ford emblem. I need that.

Got my new painted grill and rear trim piece installed today! Best $100 ever spent, as much as i love plasti-dip, having actual auto-paint that you can get wax on and scrub bugs off is 10x better. Next just need to replace my plastidiped OEM wheels for some gloss black aftermarket 20's.

NVMutKQh.jpg

8DrgeL1h.jpg

HbvZgSwh.jpg

Can you explain how to plasti-dip the wheel skins? I'm kinda nervous about it and def don't wanna screw them up.

Picked it up on eBay, came from China, about $38, arrived in 10 days, fits perfectly

Link to auction

Picked it up on eBay, came from China, about $38, arrived in 10 days, fits perfectly

Link to auction
I like that. :thumbsup:

A little bit pricey perhaps, but since shipping is "free", I think I'll get one. My console is full of relatively small stuff anyway. I can use this insert to hold all of it, and keep a rain jacket or something bulky underneath.

Got my console tray in the mail today. A nice addition.

They also included some lagniappe (Google it). A pair of sunglasses was included in the bag with the tray. And If I were Peter Fonda in Easy Rider, I'd be proud to wear them. The Chinese are about 4 decades behind in style.

What have you done with or to your Explorer Today?

I got this sweet metal 3.5L Twin Turbo Emblem match our Explorer perfectly, have to make it Curve ah little to fit perfect, what do you guys think?
emblem002.jpg
It looks nice. Where can I get one?

Hey guys, I've been lurking here for some time and now that we've upgraded that to the 2016 Explorer Sport w/the Ecoboost 3.5L TT figured I'd chime in here w/what we've done to the Explorer so far:

SunTek CXP Ceramic Tint (55% full windshield, 18% 2 fronts, 80% over rear privacy glass)
SunTek PPF-C Clear Bra (full front bumper, 1/4 hood)
OptiCoat Pro Plus 2.0 Ceramic Paint Protection Coating
OptiCoat Glass Pro Glass Coating
Gloss Black "EXPLORER" Hood Emblems
BumperPlugs.Com OEM Ingot Silver Front License Plate Frame Plugs
MDesign Carbon Fiber Intake
OEM BOV's set to VTA
EcoBoost Twin Turbo Decal
EcoBeast Badge Overlay
EcoBeastBillet.Com EcoBeast Billet Aluminum Battery Tie Down (I helped to design this product)
And we put in the seat covers from Target to protect the leather from the kiddos feets, lol.

13432319_10207972193356991_4751066260290370677_n.jpg

13406864_10207972193917005_8146158708292407150_n.jpg

Looking forward to future modding w/a set of downpipes, a tune, and some carbon fiber and billet goodies to come later :)

2013 Explorer XLT
Opened the rear/third row side panels and unplugged the silly toy speaker bridged with the rear door speaker. Just ripped it open starting at the edge inside the rear door. It came apart easily and snapped back in place. Disconnected the speaker easily. Pictures to be in the thread following stereo upgrading. Sounds better. I'm geeked.

Does disconnecting this bridge improve the audio quality?

By it's self it may not. It's easy enough to get to and pull the connectors apart. My rear door speakers did sound better as they were getting more power, as little as it is.
I am still deciding what to do with the Front door replacement. They are 6x9's. But with Crutchfield you can get included for free, a adapter/riser ring that allows a good selection of 6 3/4 component speakers.

Installed Type S Plug & Glow - LED Smart Lighting (ambient Lighting) on the front, second and third row. It includes a phone app that you can control the color, brightness, glow, blinking, strobe, etc via bluetooth. I followed the Ford OEM Ambient lighting kit instruction for installing the power source, basically tap to BCM C2280D pin 18, it turns on with the headlight and when you open the door. Pretty cheap compared to the Ford Ambient Lighting kit, it cost me around $80.

ambientlight.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed an SCT X4 and first custom tune... Did a 4 wheel burnout :)

Back