What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

How is it sitting with only the rear springs installed? Are the headlights pointing to the sky?
Please add a picture.
drove several hundred miles... so im pretty sure shes settled... I only see a .25 difference in height for the front.. otherwise she looks level..
wondered whether or not to leave it as is... since I plan to tow

80-y_eb9430b0a4e095c6d60974fffd96834f7d798080.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed NGK plugs gapped at .030, new air filter, evenflo 160* tstat, and my livernois 93 octane performance tune. Tomorrow I'll do the cabin filter and put some miles on the tune to develop my impressions.

We started testing of 3 car seats ( 3 kids 3 and under come November) we have our oldest in the 3rd row our middle behind the driver and the infant will be behind the passenger seat. We don't have the bench in 2nd row btw. I've been looking for a way to get the tether anchor for the second seat in the 3rd row to maximize ingress and egress since we still have to do the straps for all the kids. Right now we pop the hatch and let the oldes walk across the flat 2nd 3rd row seat and get in her seat and we took the headrest off of the passenger 2nd row so we can reach over top to buckle her. It's working well but I don't like popping the hatch every single time we get in and out. We may make her get in on the passenger side before we snap the infant seat in to remedy that though.

Also I ordered livernois 93 tune and 160* t stat. I'll pick up a drop in k&n and some NGK plugs locally and hopefully be ready to go when the tuner gets in

Congrats on the new addition(child).
I assume you have the center counsel between the 2 middle row seats, correct? Have you thought about removing it?

Congrats on the new addition(child).
I assume you have the center counsel between the 2 middle row seats, correct? Have you thought about removing it?

Thank you! We're very excited!!
We actually don't have it and our oldes can climb through no problem. Took us a couple days to realize it because we weren't snapping the carrier in and out like we will once we have all 3 kids with us. So we'll just let her hop in before we snap him into the base :)

New member here. Recently Acquired a low mileage 13 and started playing with it. Just finished up installing EVOX-R projectors, and hids, blacked out the amber reflectors and chrome ring by the projector. Also added LED tube switchbacks to the headlights.

80-20160819_110631_91629108e5248afa2ae053a20e442d2e7c0f1924.jpg

80-20160819_110602_005_bb04212ae43af1af30405f3f6b991d4b947aaec1.jpg

80-20160819_110202_9245a90893c6cf0eb85278a043fbf3545d47af7b.jpg

Pic of the blinkers in action

80-20160819_110602_000_ddd07244c2f2fc5af15076526a26c039306e9b2b.gif

Those lights are sick, I'm very much a DIY type of person but I just can't seem to get myself to a comfort level of doing something like this. Great mod!

Those lights are sick, I'm very much a DIY type of person but I just can't seem to get myself to a comfort level of doing something like this. Great mod!
:) Thanks. Hardest part is opening them up. 20 min in the oven twice and they open up. HID projectors were a direct bolt in and plug and play. Leds werent that hard, just fit them in place and wired up to blinkers and 12v switched power for the DRL

:) Thanks. Hardest part is opening them up. 20 min in the oven twice and they open up. HID projectors were a direct bolt in and plug and play. Leds werent that hard, just fit them in place and wired up to blinkers and 12v switched power for the DRL

Maybe I'll have to try it, that doesn't sound too bad. Did you just re seal with the original stuff or did you use some new butyl or other sealant?

New member here. Recently Acquired a low mileage 13 and started playing with it. Just finished up installing EVOX-R projectors, and hids, blacked out the amber reflectors and chrome ring by the projector. Also added LED tube switchbacks to the headlights.

19_110631_91629108e5248afa2ae053a20e442d2e7c0f1924.jpg

10602_005_bb04212ae43af1af30405f3f6b991d4b947aaec1.jpg

19_110202_9245a90893c6cf0eb85278a043fbf3545d47af7b.jpg

10602_000_ddd07244c2f2fc5af15076526a26c039306e9b2b.jpg

Looks awesome. You said they were plug and play. Did you have stock halogen or HID projectors? Also are these the ones you got?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...r-bi-xenon-projectors-50949.html#.V8jWDDQ8KnM

19_110631_91629108e5248afa2ae053a20e442d2e7c0f1924.jpg

10602_005_bb04212ae43af1af30405f3f6b991d4b947aaec1.jpg

19_110202_9245a90893c6cf0eb85278a043fbf3545d47af7b.jpg

10602_000_ddd07244c2f2fc5af15076526a26c039306e9b2b.jpg

Looks awesome. You said they were plug and play. Did you have stock halogen or HID projectors? Also are these the ones you got?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...r-bi-xenon-projectors-50949.html#.V8jWDDQ8KnM

I have the Sport which for whatever stupid reason Ford thought would be a good idea came with the craptastic halogen projectors.

Yep, those are the ones. 4 torq screws hold the stock units in, and these use the same mounting hole locations as the stock ones. I bought the D2s Morimoto Elite system with 5500k bulbs. I plan on upgrading the bulbs in the future to the Orsam Nighbreakers. Im also going to retrofit some modded cutoff shield 2010 Fusion foglights into the stock Explorer fogs too with Hids in them to get rid of the halogen bulb color and more light.

I have the Sport which for whatever stupid reason Ford thought would be a good idea came with the craptastic halogen projectors.

Yep, those are the ones. 4 torq screws hold the stock units in, and these use the same mounting hole locations as the stock ones. I bought the D2s Morimoto Elite system with 5500k bulbs. I plan on upgrading the bulbs in the future to the Orsam Nighbreakers. Im also going to retrofit some modded cutoff shield 2010 Fusion foglights into the stock Explorer fogs too with Hids in them to get rid of the halogen bulb color and more light.

That's good to know! I did a retrofit on my old Mazda 6 using fx35 projectors and they were not plug and play. I may give this a shot if it's really that easy.

If you are going to do anything with the fog lights I would just get these.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...xb-led-fog-lights-ford-cars.html#.V8lPmTQ8KnM
Not many people now about them but they are a direct plug and play for us.

So since you guys have some experience in this department, I would love to get the active bending feature in the explorer. While I'm sure it isn't plug and play is that really an option? I upgraded to LED bulbs in our sport for a quick easy improvement. I've been scoping out OEM HIDs on eBay. At the time of purchase I was under the assumption that projector = HID I've since been educated a bit but I'm not even sure if any of the explorers had the feature... But when I drive the Ex at night I definitely miss that feature!

So since you guys have some experience in this department, I would love to get the active bending feature in the explorer. While I'm sure it isn't plug and play is that really an option? I upgraded to LED bulbs in our sport for a quick easy improvement. I've been scoping out OEM HIDs on eBay. At the time of purchase I was under the assumption that projector = HID I've since been educated a bit but I'm not even sure if any of the explorers had the feature... But when I drive the Ex at night I definitely miss that feature!

As there are no model years that come with that feature it would be extremely difficult to add. You are better off going with a full retrofit as that will provide you with better usable light especially out to the sides of the car. Given that the EVOX-R projectors are a direct bolt in the mod should not take more than a couple of hours to complete.

That's good to know! I did a retrofit on my old Mazda 6 using fx35 projectors and they were not plug and play. I may give this a shot if it's really that easy.

If you are going to do anything with the fog lights I would just get these.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/c...xb-led-fog-lights-ford-cars.html#.V8lPmTQ8KnM
Not many people now about them but they are a direct plug and play for us.
Yea those are nice and have installed a set on my buddies 13 F150. I have a set of the fusion fogs already modded, i just need to retrofit them behind the stock fog lense for a cleaner look. The fusion fogs have far superior light than anything else out there (fog wise), not to mention i will be able to run 3k for a winter setup should i choose to.

Not my pic but of one modded
d11b0f30.jpg

0ebf3e51.jpg

As there are no model years that come with that feature it would be extremely difficult to add. You are better off going with a full retrofit as that will provide you with better usable light especially out to the sides of the car. Given that the EVOX-R projectors are a direct bolt in the mod should not take more than a couple of hours to complete.

Thanks again! I'll add this to my list of future mods!

As there are no model years that come with that feature it would be extremely difficult to add........
The Canadian model Limited came with HID as standard equipment starting back in 2011. In the States HID was an option on the Limited.

Peter

The Canadian model Limited came with HID as standard equipment starting back in 2011. In the States HID was an option on the Limited.

Peter
I'm not talking about HID projectors I'm talking about adaptive lighting (I.e. Motorized projectors)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you want driving lights, not fogs.;) Fog lights don't produce a great amount of light for a reason.

Peter

Back