What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Added the WeatherTech custom fit all weather floor mats: front, middle, rear, and cargo liner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the past week I added the full 3rd row Ford all weather mat and a K&N filter only replacement. I also took the time to clean out all the oil that was in the inlet tube between the airbox and the throttle body.

Not to hijack this thread, but I would not use a K&N on an EB motor. Too dirty and you won't get the gains like a NA motor would. You need the dry fiber filters to catch the contaminants. I'm sure this is controversial, but something to consider on EB motors/

Not to hijack this thread, but I would not use a K&N on an EB motor. Too dirty and you won't get the gains like a NA motor would. You need the dry fiber filters to catch the contaminants. I'm sure this is controversial, but something to consider on EB motors/

while I will say the new dry fibre filters that are plastic weave materials that are washable do work.

I will argue that the reports I've seen on the "oil filters don't catch dirt . . . . ." never seem to be all that scientific and none seem to have any pictures or flow bench data that actual back the claims. IE here's a chart that shows our results, and believe it because we say so.

where as I have seen pictures and 3rd party testing that shows where oiled filters like the K&N and the Green filters do indeed catch more dirt and flow better than paper.

That said I will try a newer woven dry filter - since the last time I tried one didn't work so well when dirty. but then I'm the guy that has a oiled filter that I clean twice a year regardless of miles driven.

where did you get those? drop in replacements?

Got them from daytimebrightlites.com

They were direct replacements. Took me about 10 minutes to install.

I dont have an Ecoboost, I have a regular XLT.

Installed my VG sharkfin antenna and CoverCraft sunshade last night. This is my second antenna from VG. I had one for a Pontiac G8 before this and color was spot on as well. Awesome product. LED puddle lights coming next.

IMG_20150811_200249295_zpseodthkkw.jpg

IMG_20150811_200312691_zpsjnvzdtae.jpg

On my 2016 Sport, I did LED fog lamps (Thanks Britta-S), added the window visor/vent shades, and am awaiting shipment of the LED puddle lamps / license plate bulbs.

Under the hood, I changed the oil at 2000 miles and began to run Pennzoil Premium Full Synthetic and will run Top Tier regular or Shell/BP high octane for the detergents.

Future State: I would like to purchase the 2012-2015 Sport wheels. Love the "sportier" look of them and the engraved "Sport" but not sure if the senors are the same. I would love to put a larger sub woofer in the back in the same location (I do not want a bulky box). I plan on doing some sort of tint to match the other windows and would like to add the side rails / running boards. Lastly, I intend to look into options of the Bull bars when they become available.

Love the power, refinement and smoothness of this vehicle. Coming from a Durango - never again

Sounds good. Where did you get the window vents?

Sounds good. Where did you get the window vents?

I ordered them off Ford Accessories. I had them shipped to my local dealer, so I did not have to pay shipping charges. The part is BB5Z-18246-A and they are about $80 for the set.

Thank you! Are they in channel type?

Had my buddy at his body shop paint my 2015's base grill gloss black like the limited's have, i had him leave the chrome parts of it so it would look more factory.

Also has him paint the chrome strip below the rear window the part that says "Explorer" he did that a gloss black too, like how the SPORT models have it.

I had them plasi-dipped before, I love plasti-dip for wheels and such, but it just wasn't holding up how i planned on the front grill, bugs and stuff were hard to clean off when you can't scrub very hard on the plasti-dip.

beH9B3p.jpg

I went storm chasing (with limited success) but got a few with my GoPro, here's one.
screen%20grab%209%20good-M.jpg

Today I gave it a good wash job, but a few days ago I replaced the stock antenna with a "Stubby" antenna. The reception is great and it is about half as long as the original and is solid and not bendable. Works great. Here is a link about it. You just unscrew the original and screw this one in.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/The-Stubby-Antenna.html

I'd be concerned if something comes in contact with it being "solid" and having no give against the roof. Not sure how short it really is so that may not be an issue.

Today I gave it a good wash job, but a few days ago I replaced the stock antenna with a "Stubby" antenna. The reception is great and it is about half as long as the original and is solid and not bendable. Works great. Here is a link about it. You just unscrew the original and screw this one in.

http://www.cravenspeed.com/products/The-Stubby-Antenna.html
Did you consider replacing it with the 'shark fin' like many members have done?

Peter

The Stubby antenna is about four inches long. I did not think of getting a shark fin. If you replace the original with a shark fin doesn't that require more than just screwing the new antenna in? I agree the shark fin looks the best but it sure is easy to just unscrew the original one and screw in a new one that's a lot smaller.

The Stubby antenna is about four inches long. I did not think of getting a shark fin. If you replace the original with a shark fin doesn't that require more than just screwing the new antenna in? I agree the shark fin looks the best but it sure is easy to just unscrew the original one and screw in a new one that's a lot smaller.
It does require a little more work but you can get it painted the same colour as the vehicle and it does use the same OEM mount.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397592&highlight=shark+fin

Peter

Got my new painted grill and rear trim piece installed today! Best $100 ever spent, as much as i love plasti-dip, having actual auto-paint that you can get wax on and scrub bugs off is 10x better. Next just need to replace my plastidiped OEM wheels for some gloss black aftermarket 20's.

NVMutKQh.jpg

8DrgeL1h.jpg

HbvZgSwh.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks good!

Back