What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I was messing with a program on my PC and my goofy attempt to try different striping ideas looks like this. Which looks best or do either of them look decent? I am leaning to the smaller one. I only plan to put it on the hood and rear (a la @jonnoriega) in matte black. Not sure if I would follow the indentation on the hood though.

View attachment 97589 View attachment 97590

I'm a little biased and I like the 2 stripes but both look good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If those are the only 2 choices, I would pick the first one.

I was messing with a program on my PC and my goofy attempt to try different striping ideas looks like this. Which looks best or do either of them look decent? I am leaning to the smaller one. I only plan to put it on the hood and rear (a la @jonnoriega) in matte black. Not sure if I would follow the indentation on the hood though.

View attachment 97589 View attachment 97590

I'd go for the smaller one personally. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out when you decide.

I never paid attention to waxing it and I just had it clay bar and carnauba wax several months ago. As for the price, I did the entire car for $500 (door handles, side view mirrors, roof rack, etc). A bit pricey but lifetime guaranteed.
Not pricey to me. You got to pay for quality...looks good and will last a long time.

If those are the only 2 choices, I would pick the first one.
Thanks! I just chose these two because they were easy to do. I will mess around a bit more....

I'd go for the smaller one personally. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out when you decide.
Thanks for the suggestion...I am hoping to pick something soon. Stay tuned!

Tire shop mounted my tires on to steel (PIU) rims. I was never crazy about the Ultra Motorsports aluminum rims that came with my Exp. I had hoped I could mount trim rings to detract from that "cop look" which my wife did not like (for years I drove us around in a cop take home car and she grew to dislike that "look" ) but the shop said they would not fit. I scoured the web for 18" trim rings and all but one stated they did not fit PIU rims. One vendor said his would, I even sent a photo of the steelies, but unfortunately he was incorrect and I'll have to send them back.

So now my car has PIU steelies and no trim rings. Hopefully my wife won't notice it since it's a grey SUV and my cop take home cars were all white sedans with interior emergency lights.

Gotta' admit, I really like the steelies' look more than the Ultras.

Had an amazing opportunity to shoot with Velgen Wheels! I highly recommend their products!

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2046.JPG

Mad respect for our officers and especially the CHP

Thanks, but street cops consider the CHP the Auto Club with Guns...fraternal rivalry and all. ;)

Thanks, but street cops consider the CHP the Auto Club with Guns...fraternal rivalry and all. ;)

LOL. I'll tell my buddy that!!! Thanks for your service, my friend.

No offense, but up here we call those 'winter wheels' :)

Yep, my wife's from Ontario and my inlaws all have a set of winter wheels in their garages.

Hello Forum Members: I wanted to share my experience with UPR Products and their Ecoboost catch can that I had installed this week. I was looking for a system that was high quality, plug & play, and easily returnable to stock. The UPR system does all three. I purchased three items to complete the kit: the catch can system itself (part # 5030-158-1), the inline check-valve (part # 5044-03), and the crankcase breather kit (part # 5013-01). I had done lots of research online, liked their system the best, and unbelievably discovered their shop is in my county. I called them, let them know what I had (2016 xSport) and they said, "why don't you come on down, and we'll build one for you right here on the spot". I did. After hanging with the guys for a bit and chatting Ecoboost, performance, etc, they said, what the hell, we want to add some photos for our online how-to section, and we need to get out of the office. Next thing I know the owner and two of his staff had my hood up and were building hoses and putting the system in. Without the step by step photos for their online how-to, this would have taken 10 minutes. The most stand out thing about their kits is the quality. Continental hoses, OEM fittings (no cutting your stock hose and re-using your OEM fittings), billet anodized check valve, and billet breather kit (see photos). To return to stock, all I have to do is unclip the kit, unbolt the catch can, and re-install my factory dirty side OEM PCV line- 5 minutes and done. I can't speak highly enough about this shop, the guys running it, and the factory look post installation. Check out the photos below. I added these to the forum media gallery, hopefully the short photo descriptions show up on your end as well. Hope ya'll get something out of this and helps you with your decision if you decide to install an OCC yourself. Cheers.
Here is a link to their website: http://www.uprproducts.com/ford-ecoboost.html
Here is another link for one of their installation videos (this video is for the F-150, but it gives you an idea of the look and quality of their kits):

View attachment 97482
Owner of UPR products going above and beyond by installing their system on the spot.
View attachment 97483
Factory PCV line, left intact as UPR uses OEM fittings on all of their lines making it completely plug & play.
View attachment 97484
UPR line- note the high quality Continental hose
View attachment 97485
UPR custom check valve
View attachment 97486
UPR catch can assembly
View attachment 97487
Wide open throttle fitting custom fit on to my Livernois intake tube
View attachment 97488
Catch can installed, passenger side firewall using existing bolt location
View attachment 97489
UPR breather kit with built in check valve

OK, I got the exhaust trims off, I washed them, wired brushed them, sanded them with 2000 grit and washed them again.

Now, exactly what paint did you use?.......high heat, high gloss to match the high gloss trim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, I got the exhaust trims off, I washed them, wired brushed them, sanded them with 2000 grit and washed them again.

Now, exactly what paint did you use?.......high heat, high gloss to match the high gloss trim?
Before I got rid of my FB account a while back I was a member of one of the main dipper pages. Several people there and on the Charger pages I was a member of as well had actually plasti dipped their exhaust trim rings. I can't remember what the heat rating is on plasti dip (or the other versions of it), but I know it's not really 'heat rated.' Some of the people discussed having had them dipped for a couple of years with no issues.

TL;DR

From everything I've read you probably don't have to use a high heat paint. Having said that by all means wait for more input on the matter. :)

Back