1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by ibmike, March 17, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. supr squirrel

supr squirrel Active Member

Albums:
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '17 XLT
    Fronts? As in headlights? Curious of how it looks. As well as light output. I know @jonnoriega has it done, just curious for a bit more input. Also...

.:pics:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    Ya just the windows nothing on the lighting, the OEM darkening of light housing is enough for me. 35% light allowed through is about as dark as you can go around here without drawing the eye of a cop whose entire being in life is writing honest citizens traffic tickets.

It just makes such a big difference when A/C is trying to cool the interior during the hot months.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Andres R

Andres R New Member

City, State:
    Phoenix AZ
    2011 Explorer Limited 4WD
    I installed the Traxda lift, along with 17" wheels and Geolander 265/70

• Like Like x 4
  5. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel Guest

Before and after tint on the front windows

DSCF9020.jpg DSCF9028.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  6. supr squirrel

Albums:
    '17 XLT
    Gotcha. I almost asked if you meant window or lights but just went with lights, haha. Still would be curious to see how it looks, although I'm fairly sure I'd get pulled over every 100 feet if I did that in Illinois. I'd love to swap out to sport headlights, but $750 a housing is a bit rich for my blood. Thought about trying to crack them open and do it myself, but again, that $750 price tag should I screw up is a bit too rich for my blood (when you add in the price of a divorce lawyer, I mean. :p )

On a separate issue not sure why I got a 'disagree' on my first post to you (not from you) regarding the possibility of tinted headlights. Maybe just the question itself? Who knows, haha. It's a question I had zero interest in prior to having the tint put on my tails. I figured the light output would be diminished too much and you like to be able to see in front of you. But after having the tails done and seeing how little of a difference the tint makes at night I am 'intrigued.' :)

7. supr squirrel

Albums:
    '17 XLT
    Looks very nice. Tint is one of the cheapest and easiest mods to accomplish. Not only does it add to the looks dramatically, but it also helps keep your interior cooler, etc. I'm surprised more people don't do it (if it's legal in their state, of course.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    I'm at 32k miles now so I went ahead and ordered the AEM drop in dry flow filter and replaced the stock filter Wednesday night. For $30 I would say its a very high quality drop in filter that wont need to be oiled.

No noticeable sound difference. Truck feels a little more responsive, but I am sure that is the placebo effect.

Drive 4 hours to NC this weekend so I'll be able to see if it actually helps with MPG. I doubt it will, but I still like it.

#nolongerstock

haha

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    One trick I was told if you get pulled over and the officer is standing to look at your driver's window then roll the passenger front window down. It allows more light inside the vehicle and apparently affects the appearance of the driver window tint and may save you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    What AWD mode did you have that in?.....front wheels shouldn't be spinning like that.

11. jonnoriega

jonnoriega Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    The headlights looked so cool but I couldn't see anything at night. Had them lightened.

12. Andres R

Andres R New Member

City, State:
    Phoenix AZ
    So we were coming off really easy dirt road so I didn't have it in any mode. Due to the excitement of this obstacle and wanting to try it, I didn't put it to any mode when I went down to the bottom of the wash that's why I paused down there. I went ahead and put it to the first mode, which has the pine tree, I think it's called mud and ruts? Later on at a different obstacle with more sand I tried the desert mode.
    I believe the mud and ruts let's you spin out a bit more, while the desert mode really controls the power a lot more and doesn't let you spin out since you could easily dig yourself in when driving on sand. Not sure about the exact difference though, that's just my guess.
    For future, I will only use the mud and ruts mode for mud only.

Do you have any recommendations? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

Last edited: August 19, 2017
  13. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    I'm thinking sand mode because it's likely the closest to that dry sandy AZ terrain but that might not be correct. It would actually be interesting to do that same obstacle in different modes to see how the Terrain Management system actually interprets the terrain and powers the wheels independently.

Mine is too much of a prettyboy SUV to ever take it on terrain like that, one scratch on my Shadow Black paint and my interior would be soaking wet from all the tears!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andres R

Andres R New Member

City, State:
    Phoenix AZ
    Haha I hear you. Me on the other hand.... I got sad when I washed all the mud and dirt off, it looks so much better after hitting a puddle or all dusty!

I have almost 100k miles on it now. I bought it with 70k over 2 years ago. About a year ago my job gave me a company car ( a gorgeous Prius haha) so the Ex sleeps in the garage all day and has become our weekend warrior. So it gets pretty spoiled for the most part, but taking it off road was a blast! And a few scratches here and there it's ok by me.

15. Forddealz

Forddealz Active Member

City, State:
    NY
    2020 Ford Explorer ST
    Has anyone replaced their front hood lettering from Explorer to Interceptor?

16. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport

Figured I would get back in here with my impressions.

Truck definitely feels more responsive, but I would say that's it. Probably no actual power difference and no noise difference.

I was driving from MD to NC and cruising speeds were 70-90mph over the 4.5hr trip. On the way down I was averaging 21.2mpg. It was raining and I did have to drive through VA where everyone likes to slam on their brakes then speed back up to 80mph and continuously repeat this process.

Went to a concert on Saturday night and used the truck to tailgate so that hurt my overall MPG, but I believe it was back around 20 when we left to head home on Sunday. I was back up to 21 mpg by the time we got home Sunday night.

So I would guess that is about normal and the drop in filter has zero affect on MPG.

Still like the filter and would buy it again. $30 for an drop in filter that needs to be washed every 50k miles is a good deal in my mind.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jonnoriega

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    I said, "Why not?"

IMG_3131.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3134.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  18. supr squirrel

Albums:
    '17 XLT
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jonnoriega

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    They're aluminum. About $54. Took a while to get here but they're so easy to install. eBay. Comes in 3 colors (red, blue and black). You can probably find other colors. Link below the photo.
    IMG_3122.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Add-On...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

BTW - This is getting done 9/7/17. AutoWorks Russia finally got back to me. They're custom panels made for a sport and they wanted $600 for it. I've got the guys going to do a custom vinyl job for $150 and found almost the exact same color. My set up/console is a little different. Post pics when I've got it done!
    IMG_2665.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  20. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    You are now this forums official "Mod King"

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. jonnoriega