Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by ibmike, March 17, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jonnoriega

jonnoriega Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    Out for 3 Days and my ride needs a new battery. The original one lasted a year and 10 months. That’s almost too soon isn’t it?
    7EC7900A-FF92-400F-80EE-4B78D59B4B9C.jpeg

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Your warranty should take care of that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. jonnoriega

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    46,500 miles already. Warranty was for 36K miles.

:(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eltee

Eltee Elite Explorer

City, State:
    West Coast USA
    2013 Explorer XLT
    4WD
  6. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    My battery died at 8,000 miles--came out Super Bowl sunday to a vehicle that couldn't even light a dome light. Battery was tested for two hours, the tester wouldn't fail it, before the service advisor did me a solid and said, "I know this is going to fail, I'm just going to write you up a battery."

I'm wondering how long this one will last that's in it now.

Separately, as far as what I did to mine, last week I got it undercoated and detailed. Lasted a few days before the rains came again. Today I discovered that one of my tail lamps is beginning to fail -- LED swap. Oh well, those were quite cheap and I have literally 5-6 more bulbs that size that I never used. I will have to do the swap this weekend.

Also crossed over 33k this week, having to put nearly 80 miles on the thing alone today. Car was running on fumes when I got to the gas pump. Say what you want about the 2.3L EcoBoost, but you know what? 400 miles per tank, easy, is quite nice. No matter what I do to this car, by the time I refill, it's always hovering somewhere between 24-25 MPG. I'll take that for this vehicle's girth.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. tinner

tinner Active Member

City, State:
    KC MO. area
    2013 Explorer Limited AWD
    Rainlord- Did you buy your DRLs from Dan at DriveBright(DaytimeBrightlites)?

8. jonnoriega

Media:
    City, State:
    Streamwood, IL
    2016 Ford Exp Platinum
    Ended up with the NAPA LEGEND Battery. Got a sweet deal. My guys pretty much just charged me for labor. I love CarOne Auto. Guys are the best.

9. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Explorer 2012 XLT
    The "vertical ones" are from Dan. The bottom small ones are from Amazon. The Fogs are from Ebay. (light bar that isn't on in pics is Feniex)

Edit: Added direct links to all items.

Last edited: November 20, 2017
  10. Fentress24

Fentress24 Active Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Got my Tunes from Livernois on Friday and installed the 3 Bar and Tune Saturday morning prior to dropping the truck off at Mr. Tire for some new rubber. Put on Michelin Premier LTX 265/50/20.

Haven't had too much time to play with it yet, but I absolutely love the tune. Besides the obvious performance increase, I feel like the transmission finally shifts like its supposed to. In stock form I found the shifting sloppy and all over the place. I installed the 93 performance soft shift tune.

The Michelin Premier LTX's are significantly smoother than the stock Hankooks and are unbelievably quiet. The difference is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Explorer 2012 XLT
    Installed factory glove box light as I didn't have one. It's pretty straight forward. See full write-up here.

[​IMG]

Installed remote start per instructions in the 2011-2015 thread. Worked like a charm and was surprisingly easy (although I did have to reprogram 2 of my "new" keys again as the car decided to forget them)

Also cut my fingers in 3 places doing it, that part was less fun :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. JG28082

JG28082 New Member

City, State:
    Orlando
    2014 Explorer Sport
    Installed cougar led headlights from Amazon.. Blacked out the Ford logos with plasti dip.. Will likely do vinyl instead. 1 week of ownership.. Anyone else do LED ans feel it's less light output than the stock halogen? Certainly looks better though
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/BhGc8CEaq2UkO6AC3

13. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Explorer 2012 XLT
    As someone who has gone through probably 5 different sets of LED headlight bulbs, it's very much a gambling game finding ones that work well, and in all honesty, I find the light output questionable on all of them (and I tend to agree with someone's comment in the headlight thread that in regards to the bulbs currently available for retrofitting; "it's all cheap Chinese crap").

Lumen ratings can mean absolutely nothing, nor wattage ratings. I've tried ones with single sides, double sides, multiple sides (4 or 5 I think), special chip layouts, you name it. I do currently use some (with anti flicker devices as I had flicker issues) but I'm not loving them enough to say "run and buy them". Until winter really kicks and I'm driving in darkness most of the time, then I'll be able to say if they're good enough or not.

If you look at the LED projector on modern cars that use them, you'll notice they look quite different than the halogen ones (usually many small ones in clusters, and they are all slightly differently angled). Here's an article explaining that LED projectors are usually multiples rather than a single. There's a few good articles that go over the functional aspects of a halogen projectors on the net, and many talking about different types of lights (HID vs LED vs Halogen) in general (here's a good one describing them). However, the best article on LED in Halogens I've found must be this one as they not only test bulbs, but talk about how the light is reflected. I can also recommend this 3-year old answer on Reddit, as it sums things up well.

What it comes down to is that the halogen projector is not really built for LED-style headlight bulbs, no matter how much those bulbs currently try to mimic halogen bulbs in how they emit light. In essence, if you want "great LED headlights" you would have to retrofit the projector to LED-intended projector(s). Neither cheap nor easy. I'm not sure if anyone has tried it on here. There was a post with a picture of a Russian-based Explorer that had something done, but with no info on how or cost.

If I had the money I would happily buy 2 extra Explorer headlight housings and some good LED headlights from another car and try to move stuff over. But I'm not that rich ;). In any case, there's a lot of threads on here in regards to LED headlights and such in the automotive lighting section.

Last edited: November 23, 2017
  14. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    there have been a few posts about the light output difference. I think the difference is mainly that LED headlamps don't have the same projection distance that HID ones have. Also, as mentioned, each headlight housing is specifically designed for the type of bulb that it is manufactured for.

Peter

15. JG28082

JG28082 New Member

City, State:
    Orlando
    2014 Explorer Sport
    Thanks for the replies and info, I had read around the forum before purchasing and figured for the $45 I couldn't go wrong, especially how easy they are to swap out. I'm coming from an SRX with HID lights and with that I would have to take the whole bumper off to switch bulbs.. That vehicle is 10 years old and only on its 2nd set. I also bought a Lincoln Mkz this year with LEDs and really loved them. If anyone has a bulb they love let me know!

16. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Explorer 2012 XLT
    Got new 2016 console side panels to match the console upgrade I did, that's all the fun that came in the mail today.

The 2016 panels are incredibly flimsy compared to the 2012 ones, Ford saved a few dollars there. The 2012 silver ones are bullet proof, the black ones are much lighter and not as strong. Otherwise the fit is exactly the same, you just move a plug over from the old to the new.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    I'm happy with mine. I don't feel like I lost anything in distance, and they seem brighter, or at least cleaner, if that makes sense. I had one LED fail on one side of one bulb, and they sent me a replacement, no questions asked. They fit completely in the housing, with the dust cover intact.

LED Headlight Conversions

18. dhorsfield

dhorsfield New Member

2016 Explorer Sport

What discs did you go with? I understand that they are “heavy duty” discs on the 16’s. Is that correct? Where did you get the blacked out badges?

19. FRANK FLORES

FRANK FLORES New Member

City, State:
    Austin, Texas
    2016 Explorer sport
    POWER STOP® KC5584 - 1-Click Z23 Evolution Sport Drilled and Slotted Front and Rear Brake Kit with Calipers

The badges from eBay

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cadiburns

Cadiburns New Member

‘17 Explorer Sport
    Winter mode.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  21. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    Excellent... you make me wish I had stayed at a larger size for winter. Excellent look.