Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

What did you do to your 5th Gen today?

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by ibmike, March 17, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fjc2

fjc2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      MI
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Installed a JLT oil catch can today. We'll see if it catches anything!

IMG_3610.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jhu8

jhu8 Active Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      17 Ford Explorer Limited
      Thinking about doing this for my black explorer. I bought it used and when light hits it right, you can see all the micro scratches. Wondering if these black polish/wax items would help fill those in.

4. Darkiron90

Darkiron90 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Northern chicago
      2017 Explorer Sport App
      So far I've done a full detail by hand twice this year with their products. Once in spring and one just now.

My method was kinda how they say on the website videos.

Rinse car, wash car with 2 bucket method and micro fiber hand mit, dry with microfiber large towel, from there I pull the car in the garage and use my air tool to blow out water from cracks and such, I work my way from top to bottom with their black light glaze ( mind you this is a glaze not a wax or sealer. And you really should do a clay bar before this step), my wheels are dark gray so I do those too, let sit 15 min or 20 if its cooler out ( make sure it is a thin layer of glaze), wipe off with clean micro fiber, throw that towel to the side, than I do their jet seal sealer, very easy to use. Just make sure you don't wash it or drive in the rain for about 12 hours, next a layer of their butter wax. It really makes the black look like you can dip your hand in it. Always do sealer first than the wax because the sealer lasts longer than the wax and will somewhat bring out the haze in the sunlight until you wax. I'm no pro what so ever and I just started doing the clay bar it was really easy.

• Like Like x 3
    5. Grok

Grok New Member

City, State:
      JACKSONVILLE
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Received tune files from @Livernois and installed. Had some fun.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Livernois

Livernois Active Member

City, State:
      Dearborn Heights, MI
      2013 Explorer Sport
      Thank you for the support. I'm glad you are enjoying the tune. It truly is amazing how fast these explorer's become after a tune.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Awinee

Awinee New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2018 XLT 3.5L NA
      I removed all mufflers initially, then I added a magnapack (the round ones) to the middle, and now replaced that with a 24" magnaflow. No mufflers in the rear at all. With this setup there's not a lot of droning, but the sound has turned a little too tame for my liking (no more proper crackles, I'll post a video later). I purchased the Borla ProXS Mufflers 40364 which is smaller and likely will improve the sound but am waiting to get my tune from @Livernois before I make any further changes as their tune should improve the sound somewhat too.

I ran into the same problem. Borla said they could build it for me, but would need my car for ~4 weeks in order to do so. I went to a local muffler shop instead, who built me a custom exhaust for half the price of the Borla cat back. The sound is fantastic. Link here for sound + pics of the setup. I will admit, I did end up buying 3 different mufflers afterwards to get to the correct sound (so I can start my own muffler shop now).

Edit: link to setup here, seems it's being flagged as spam: Martijn Gonlag on Instagram: “Is this a world first? #straightpiped the #DDoS mobile. Huge thanks to @a1amuffler for making it happen on the same day as I called in.…”

8. Darkiron90

City, State:
      Northern chicago
      2017 Explorer Sport App
      That makes me even more excited.now Haha. Do you have a non turbo? I figure it will sound pretty close to a.mustang with a 3.7 and the s type cat back.

9. Awinee

Awinee New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2018 XLT 3.5L NA
    10. Darkiron90

City, State:
      Northern chicago
      2017 Explorer Sport App
      Finally someone giving love to NA!!!! 2 inch seems like a ton. I wonder if that effects anything in the geometry that adds to much stress to the suspension? I bet it looks really good tho. You should take a further back picture so we can see the full aggressiveness.

11. Awinee

Awinee New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2018 XLT 3.5L NA
      I was told, by the company that made it, that there shouldn't be any negative impact. Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, like vibrations, yet but it does actually feel like the turning radius increased slightly. Will post updated pics tomorrow once I get some daylight :).

12. Darkiron90

City, State:
      Northern chicago
      2017 Explorer Sport App
      What company made the spacers?

13. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    14. Stephen Cannon

Stephen Cannon Active Member

City, State:
      DFW METROPLEX
      2018 Explorer Sport
      FJC....Do you have a link to the Catch can purchasing site? Does it come with decent photos for installation?

Just got back from out of town so I admit other than saying hi to the Explorer on the way inside no activity in about a week. Still getting over my Jetlag but might take for a ride today maybe dinner.

15. fjc2

fjc2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      MI
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I bought mine directly from JLT. Their instructions are decent, but I found a few videos on youtube that made it much clearer. It's a very easy install - there's a short hose with quick-disconnects that you are removing, the one that goes from the brownish PCV valve. The bracket installs onto an existing bolt. It only took about 5 minutes to install.

Link to where I bought it.

One of many Youtube videos I found helpful.

Last edited: October 22, 2018
    16. Stephen Cannon

City, State:
      DFW METROPLEX
      2018 Explorer Sport
      Thanks, Just ordered mine. Black Anodized will follow up when it arrives.

17. limited3.5

limited3.5 New Member

City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      2017 Explorer Limited
      Not much to do on the 3.5 NA but dropped a K&N Air filter in the air filter box. Mainly because got tired of all the local sand particles/smog/dirt and changing oem air filter every 5K, otherwise MPG drops significantly after 5K miles......also the K&N was discounted big at Walmart, something like 25$ from 55$.
      Car seems to "breathe" good and I like the additional resonance sound that I now get. Almost like the artificial sound from the speakers on the Edge Sport - hahaha.

18. fjc2

fjc2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      MI
      2014 Explorer Sport
      I fixed a rather bad rattle in mine today. It started a few weeks back, coming from the passenger door area. Very loud, I was certain something must have come loose inside the passenger door panel.

Using sensitive audio tools (my ears) and a percussive vibration inducer (my fist), I banged around on the door panel to narrow it down - and discovered the actual culprit was the little tiny plastic panel behind the door handle that covers the access to one of the door panel bolts. It was loose and that allowed it to make a horrible rattle. It wouldn’t stay clipped in, so I pulled it out and saw that one of the three plastic tabs had broken off.

The part, the tab on the right is broken off.
      E6BE264A-000A-4E59-A569-0E1D9E9CB4F0.jpeg

I ended up just putting a couple very small pieces of 3M double sided foam tape on it so that it’ll stay in place with no rattles (but I can still get it out if I need to pull off the door panel).

All fixed! It’s the little panel behind the actual door handle.

D49DD6A0-94A1-4FB5-B720-5F18EF4F69CF.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    19. jonnoriega

jonnoriega Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Streamwood, IL
      2016 Ford Exp Platinum
      Nice!!!

20. Stephen Cannon

City, State:
      DFW METROPLEX
      2018 Explorer Sport
      FJC your photos of the Catch Can were spot on. I did one minor change though. I loosened the grounding strap turned it about 1/8 inch to the right over the hump, and re tightened. That allowed the Catch can bracket to be literally straight vertical. Install mileage 1410 I plan on inspecting at 2000 miles then every 2,000 miles after that. I must admit though the fitment is tight especially with the hood fire blanket. Nice and secure and I felt some air sound after I started....Didn't think much of it, figured it was because the engine cover was removed. Installed cover and still the air sound. Took me a couple of minutes to figure it out but it was the Catch Can. I removed the catch can collection cup before installation figuring that removing once would make it easier to remove later. I must have forgot to re install no big deal no leakage and discovered my mistake pretty quickly. Install was pretty simple but design note, having the tubes either 45 or 90 degrees from vertical would make grabbing the knurled handle easier to grab. I recommend removing the collection cup prior to installation and re tightening hand tight. From the factory it is probably machine tight so tighter than normal hand removal for inspection would be. Just a note not a requirement but something to consider.

I got the Black Anodized and slightly contrasts with the Metallic Blue paint.

Thanks for the tip.

21. Awinee

Awinee New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2018 XLT 3.5L NA
      Here ya go:
      [​IMG]

And my lift kit just arrived too, so we'll be getting that installed next!

22. Awinee

Awinee New Member

City, State:
      San Francisco, CA
      2018 XLT 3.5L NA
      Last edited: November 3, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    23. fjc2

fjc2 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      MI
      2014 Explorer Sport
      • Like Like x 3
    24. Livernois

Livernois Active Member

City, State:
      Dearborn Heights, MI
      2013 Explorer Sport
      Thanks for your support I hope you are enjoying the tune from us. We have had such success with these explorer sports and rest of ecoboost world. Thanks again everyone and if you need anything reach out to us at 313-561-5500 ext 126 my name is Jake